Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a 2 Player River city ransom run. ~50 seconds faster than the current run by Sleepz done on famtasia. This movie distributes a glitch and uses it to its fullest.
What got me to attempt this run is noticing that you can skip Moose and still be able to enter the school.
The glitch was discovered by Nitsuja. While trying to run and holding the opposite direction, weird things happen. Such as death. I use this to Eliminate lag where it is necessary, like rooms when I don't have to fight.
I also use this Glitch to go through a wall.
I lose many frames by picking 2 player due to Lag. I lose alot at the Twin fight for example, because of 4 characters on screen at once.
-Sacrifices speed for entertainment - Aims for Entertainment - 1 Player controls 2 Players
Thanks to: - nesrocks for telling me about skipping the Moose. - Nitsuja for discovering the Left+Right Glitch - Adelikat & Maximus for nagging me to finish this all the time. - and the rest who encouraged me to finish this.

Truncated: Many people have been opposed to this version obsoleting our old one. I went back and rewatched the old run and could only agree.
The old run has much more variety, never stands still when people are lying down but sets up a combo, makes enemies hit each other (or themselves), a cool multiple jumpkick combo, and the everpresent Trashcan of Judgement.
This run has some cool tricks too: dying for no reason, throwing the other over the wall, using the other player as a weapon.
A new movie which combines the best of these two runs would be very publishable. Don't be afraid to sacrifice more time for cool tricks.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1452: Vatchern's NES River City Ransom in 08:09.98
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
50 sec is a large improvement. Having 2 players certainly made the run more interesting paricularly throwing one player to create shortcuts. Having one player use the other as a club is hilarious. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Reviewer, Active player (277)
I'm kind of ambivalent about this one. It's obviously a large improvement over the previous video and there are some great moments, but having one character leave the side on every screen gets kind of annoying after a while (I know it was to reduce lag, but still). It also seems like most of the boss fights are spent waiting for the boss to get up. I don't know this game very well, but can it be manipulated so that doesn't happen that often. It probably deserves to be published, but I think I'm going to vote meh on this. I do think using your partner as a weapon is awesome, though.
Haha, it's just the same thing over and over again, but it never gets old. I could probably watch those two guys beat people with trashcans and brass knuckles for hours. Great vid, and I actually like it when characters randomly disappear for no discernible reason.
Experienced player (822)
Ha ha "I'm history, dude!". Great improvement, and I agree w/ Xebra... random alien abduction style disappearing characters are funny. And the tag team fights are just pathetisad (for the bosses).
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Senior Moderator
Unfortunately, I'll have to vote no. I've directly compared some of the fights between this and Sleepz's version, and while Vatchern was inarguably faster, he failed to deliver variety that Sleepz tried (and to a certain extent, succeeded) to show. Just compare the fight vs. Simon in both versions: the previous had variety and style and hence was interesting to watch, the current is repetitive to boot. So it is an improvement, but worse than I thought it would be, and definitely worse than it could have been, due to the reasons stated. I really looked forward to this run. :(
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Voting Yes. However, I woulda liked more flying tricks with weapons, rather than simply surrounding people and beating them to a pulp. One of the best parts of the old RCR run was the jump kick-trash can technique.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
The constant dying was hilarious. The way you jumped over the wall in the warehouse looked sweet. Ganging up on guys and wailing on them never got old. Plus, you occasionally used the other player to beat on enemies. How could I not vote yes? However, I do agree that the jump kick-trash can technique was something I missed from the old run.
Shingen
He/Him
Is this an improvement over the existing run? Yes. Will this obsolete a Famtasia run? Yes. Did this entertain me more than the existing run? No. I voted no for the same reasons mentioned above. Boss fights were just hit hit hit wait hit hit hit wait. Edit: If the existing video wasn't a star-quality video, I would have voted yes. This is not a star-quality video.
Great tricks, but the fighting looks like it could have been faster. A standing attack does less than a jumping attack, which does still less than a running+jumping attack. ...I think. I'm pretty sure you could have used that. Testing with the cheat search indicates that a punch does 2 damage, while a flying jumpkick did at least 5.
Skilled player (1402)
Nice improvement to the famtasia run - yes vote. The disappearing was fun, but it kinda made me feel like I was watching a single player run, instead of a two player run. I also think some of the fights could have been a little more interesting. I vote no for this movie having a star.
Player (166)
I'm in the "the old one was more entertaining" crowd. But, I think I have some ideas. Say, when the bosses are down, perhaps one player could throw them toward the other player, who then baseball swings at the boss with a trashcan/chain/whatever. Or, to throw the weapon on the hit which knocks the boss down, then you could kick it at them to damage the boss when it's on the floor. That could save on some waiting time and look stylish. The glitch and time saved is very nice, but I think the fighting could've been more entertaining- especially considering you have two characters to work with here. Meh vote for now, but it's definately a good start to a 2P run of this game. EDIT: Oh, but I did like using the other player as a weapon. And the whole mobrape thing was hilarious (but only the first time it had happened).
Emulator Coder, Former player
Solid improvement speedwise, though I can see where these comments are coming from. Double teaming bosses, though probably the fastest possible way to beat them, loses its charm after a while. Still voting yes though, cause I thought this was awesome :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
The movie was pretty funny, and it didn't feel like watching a 1p run, of course, because 80% of the time 2 players are on the screen. But the fighting did suffer from a lack of surprises especially near the end. If repetition is going to be used for speed, at least keep the enemy standing so it goes faster. When a movie becomes predictable, it also becomes unentertaining. It had its funny moments though, and as much as i'd like to vote yes, (it's a 2P run, faster, obsoletes famtasia movie), I'm not sure what to do. I'll refrain from voting : /
Former player
I watched the movie and was completely ready to vote yes. Then I decided to watch Sleepz's run before voting for an honest comparison. After watching Sleepz's run I just have to vote no for this one, it doesn't even come close to achieving the kind of acrobacy that Sleepz does. I couldn't care less for speed in a movie like this, the improvement doesn't matter, it's the entertainment. And there Sleepz's movie simply does a better job. Sorry Vatch. I urge everyone to watch Sleepz's run after/before this one, don't vote without knowing what it's going to obsolete.
One more vote for the "this is less entertaining" crowd. The boss fights don't drag on as long in this one, but the lack of acrobatics compared to the old one kinda kills it. Sorry. Really good work though.
Player (70)
voted no. I'm sure that this could be redone to juggle the time improvements of this run with the variety and entertainment of the old run.
Skilled player (1086)
The submission text wrote:
-Sacrifices speed for entertainment - Aims for Entertainment - 1 Player controls 2 Players
Vatchern's main goal here was entertainment. He made a faster, more up-to-date run that beats a famtasia run, but it doesn't quite do the business in the entertainment area (well, not as much as Sleepz run does). If the tag was 'aims for fastest time' I'd vote Yes, but to me this has to go down as not sticking to his predefined goals. It's still quite a nice movie though, so I won't vote yet, maybe later if I can come to more of a decision. EDIT -- Wow, 500 posts as well...now I can wear my vest around the forums ;)
Experienced player (612)
Although it is a great improvement time-wise, I had to vote Meh. It's optimized to a large extent but where's the trade-off of entertainment over speed? I know you probably felt a little discouraged to do this run because of less contributed ideas than you could have hoped for (except now, after the run has been submitted, you finally get to hear more of what people would have wanted to see, a little more specifically that is). I mean, just look at my MKII runs: the first version didn't show quite what people wanted, the second version showed more of what people wanted but didn't live up to the hype, but the third version (after really working toward fixing all errors from the second version and including most of what people wanted) turned out great because I got much more feedback of what should be and should not be from the second version after it was submitted (even though I did not include WIPs, I still knew that there would not be as much feedback as a submitted run usually gets). Basically, all I'm saying is don't give up on this run, forge a better run out of this submission and hopefully, with all the feedback people are giving you as of now, you'll be motivated to do so. Best of luck to you.
Former player
I'm voting Yes *I do think the boss fights could have been a little faster if you keep throwing objects at the boss(while he is on the ground). There are times when the players are just standing there. I tried doing this run but gave up after a while because I thought "Playing on Hardest Level" was recommended. However, it is a big difference over time which this site is mainly about. Good Job
Change my sig. again, and I will murder your pet fish.
Former player
GuanoBowl wrote:
However, it is a big difference over time which this site is mainly about. Good Job
Aaand it's remarks like this that make me go crazy.
Active player (277)
I go crazy when people are all "entertainment" this and "entertainment" that! I just want to know how fast the game can be beaten!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Though I don't think this is the most ideal game for a TAS, it did not get so long that I got bored watching this, and there were a few nice surprises along the way. I voted yes, and I don't understand what everyone thinks is so great about the previous run.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
JXQ wrote:
Though I don't think this is the most ideal game for a TAS, it did not get so long that I got bored watching this, and there were a few nice surprises along the way. I voted yes, and I don't understand what everyone thinks is so great about the previous run.
Jump kicking trashcans so that they intercept flying badguys. Bouncing enemies against walls just because you can. BADASSERY!
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Personally I think the last movie is the worst starred run on the site, and sadly the movie didn't change my mind. I quite enjoyed reading the text and there was the odd thing that made me say "I didn't expect that". There is too little action and the action itself is too repertive, but I must respect the fact this is a large improvement over the previous run so I'll vote meh. EDIT: I'm happy to see this published, just without the star.