Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • FCEU
  • Uses no passwords
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Play at hardest level
  • Manipulates Luck
  • THE STORY
 Jones: We have located 7 hideouts of the huge drug syndicate in south America. 
        Your mission is to destroy them.
        You must find one of our commandos who was hurt and captured in one of the 7 hideouts.
        Get the grenades from him.
 Smith: Yes,commander Jones.
 Jones: GOOD BYE,Mr.Smith.
Then the adventure of our hero begins.What't waiting for him,a trial?a dangerous mission?
or just a trap!
  • ABOUT GAME
This game was adapted from a movie with tha same name.
The movie was also named "Dead Fox:The Human Weapon" or "Ningen heiki - Dead fox "(Japan).
  • How To Save Time
Fire while jumping. It's better than fire while standing on the ground.
Jumping has the same speed as walking,but it'll cause a small lag.
So I tried to have fewer jumps,especially the vertical jump.
If I do have to jump,I try to make them continuously. It help to save several frames' time.
There's a lag when walking to the door at the end of each mission.I always jump to avoid it.
  • Indefinite Facters
In this game,a jump can lead to some changes.
Some enemies won't appear at certen places.
Sometimes you can see a jump without firing,it's not meaningless.
  • The Bomb Man.
Every mission except the last stage I have to find a man to get a bomb.
I was very lucky to have all of them appear at most save time places.
  • COMPARISION
It's the USA version of Ningen Heiki - Dead Fox.They are the same except the language.
I improved it by 4 seconds.Maybe I should cancel my movie of the Japanese version.
I ended this game a little earlier to be easily compared.
To watch the end of the movie you need to press the "A" button after game stopping.

Bisqwit: Submission file updated. Quote from author: I'm sorry,the movie I submitted "Code Name:Viper"needs some minor changes. According to the editer Truncated's opinion, I should end the movie a little later to get the end demo.

adelikat: The response to this movie has not been good and it is a rather "borderline" game in terms of TASing. The technical quality is good but the game choice is not. I am rejecting this movie. Better luck next time :)

turska: Unrejecting.

adelikat: Rejecting for not matching known records(at the time of this judgement)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1460: ECCO's NES Code Name: Viper in 11:06.48
Senior Moderator
I think this game is really boring. Even though it was played well, the movie wasn't entertaining at all. Voting no. EDIT: It seems that slash-star-dash has already made a run of this game 1.5 years ago. It was slower, but it didn't get any votes at all in 6 months.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Not bad, but not very interesting either. I think you need to press start one more time to get the end demo (that's what I did), but perhaps I just didn't wait long enough.
I was intrigued by that "no votes in six months" so I decided to take a look at this. Well, the run is pretty solid, but the game is sucky, like mozooh said. I mean, 7 stages, of which at least 5 look and play like each other, without any bosses or other sources of distraction, make this repetitive as heck, and thus quite boring. Anyway, it did get better in the last 2 or so stages, but the final "boss" was quite a letdown anyway. Aside from that, I'd like to mention that aural experience from this game is horrible. You can produce nice chiptunes with the NES, why do I have to subjected to the horror that is music in this game? I'd skip it in the future. Borderline Meh (from No), since the run wasn't bad.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
I'm having one heck of a deja vu...
The movie was also named "Dead Fox:The Human Weapon" or "Ningen heiki - Dead fox "(Japan).
Ah. Right. Yes-voted that one, and the adaptation is equally good. Not sure why some people have been hating on the music. I'd say it's on par with the Mega Man series... except for that awful part in stages 3/4 that only dogs can hear. Don't know if this'll get accepted, but it's a welcome addition to my fcm collection. ...Wow. That rescued guy really does look like Hitler.
kay
This game is good and some of its tunes are pretty good as well. I don't see the haters' point -- if you haven't played this game back in the days, why bother watching the speedrun and complaining about it? I was bored to tears after watching the supposedly "great" speedrun of Megaman posted on this site, literally falling asleep not once but four times, but it never crossed my mind to say that Megaman speedrun shouldn't have been made -- it's just that it is much more interesting for those who played Megaman back in the eighties. Same stuff is true for most games. You find this game boring and the music bad? It's easy -- don't play it and watch the run then, but don't bury it for those who care, OK?
kay wrote:
This game is good and some of its tunes are pretty good as well. I don't see the haters' point -- if you haven't played this game back in the days, why bother watching the speedrun and complaining about it? I was bored to tears after watching the supposedly "great" speedrun of Megaman posted on this site, literally falling asleep not once but four times, but it never crossed my mind to say that Megaman speedrun shouldn't have been made -- it's just that it is much more interesting for those who played Megaman back in the eighties. Same stuff is true for most games. You find this game boring and the music bad? It's easy -- don't play it and watch the run then, but don't bury it for those who care, OK?
What's the whole point of voting if you liked watching the movie, if only allowed option is to vote yes? Also, in my opinion, if you find megaman games so awful, there's nothing limiting you to go on the threads and express your distaste, if you state your reasons for doing so.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
kay
Tombad wrote:
kay wrote:
What's the whole point of voting if you liked watching the movie, if only allowed option is to vote yes?
I didn't say that, you did. There are legitimate reasons why a movie can be rejected -- a run can be far from perfect, it can be boring (while the game allows for making a more entertaining run), etc. If you think the movie itself is bad, vote no and explain why you think so. If you think that the game is bad, please think twice before voting no -- maybe people who love this game will love the run. Such is the situation of Dead Fox -- this speedrun is simply breathtaking (I played this game and believe me, this is VERY impressive), and I was really happy to see it (too bad I can't vote for it yet).
Also, in my opinion, if you find megaman games so awful, there's nothing limiting you to go on the threads and express your distaste, if you state your reasons for doing so.
And the point of me going to Megamen threads and expressing my distaste about Megaman is... ? If people like Megaman, more power to them, why should I spoil their fun? It's not like they have done something bad to me, y'know. Besides, the existence of Megaman series and its speedruns doesn't bother me at all. Why should I spend time and effort voicing my negative opinion about something that doesn't affect me at all? I have better things to do in this life, believe me. ;) The point is that burying runs of games you don't like gains you absolutely nothing, but gives a loss to those who like the game. IOW, you don't gain anything, while some other people lose. Don't you find it... wrong?
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
kay wrote:
The point is that burying runs of games you don't like gains you absolutely nothing, but gives a loss to those who like the game. IOW, you don't gain anything, while some other people lose. Don't you find it... wrong?
Those who want to watch entertaining material published will lose if people say nothing against a submission they find unsuitable for publication. This is detrimental for the overall well-being of the site. A submission process without the right to vote "no" renders the whole process here pointless.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
kay wrote:
There are legitimate reasons why a movie can be rejected -- a run can be far from perfect, it can be boring (while the game allows for making a more entertaining run), etc. If you think the movie itself is bad, vote no and explain why you think so. If you think that the game is bad, please think twice before voting no -- maybe people who love this game will love the run.
Perhaps Kay needs to reread the Guidelines :
Select your game well. * Not all games have potential for entertaining movies. o Just because a game is popular, difficult, or is entertaining to play or run or TAS, does not necessarily mean that it is entertaining to watch. * Select the one that give you the best chance to do something absolutely stunning. * Play at the hardest difficulty, if it is impressive to do so. Avoid the following types of games: dull, repetitive, slow, too easy, too short or too long, distracting in a bad way, indiscriminate between tool-assisted and non-assisted, objectively unclear in terms of goals. As an example of a bad game choice, see Front Line.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Senior Moderator
kay wrote:
There are legitimate reasons why a movie can be rejected
Yes, read the question up there. It says: "Did you like watching this movie?" The answer is no. Any more legitimate reasons you need?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
I'm sorry,I really didn't expect there'll be so much different opinions for this game. I'm a new player from China,maybe I'm not experienced enough.This game is very popular in my country and also in Japan. I've played it for more than ten years on the television.That's why I decided to make a movie for this game. The game has a method to attract me.Maybe the difficulty,maybe just the music of the ending.Sometimes I suddenly wished to listen to the music of ending,so I put out my FC and played this game,of course using password:) I think I should learn to post a topic for a new game before deciding to make a movie for it.
Just Run
Experienced player (822)
It's well played, but other than that it was a total snore-fest. Nothing stood out to me as impressive, and the repetitiveness of the levels really hurt the run. Sorry, but due to poor game choice I have to vote no. But keep at it, and don't get discouraged. Like I said, it was well played.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
This is a pretty nice game for TASing at times. Plenty of strategy & lots of little "tweaks" that can be done to same small amounts of time. I thought the levels weren't particularly interesting but were different from each other. The quality of the TAS is good. I didn't see thing that can be improved. I also like how you shot enemies from really far away. That made things more interesting. I will vote yes.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (432)
Voted meh, not sure what to say about this run. Liked the music in the first stage and unfortunately, thats probably the only good thing I can say about the run. Your effort was good but its the game that is giving me some doubts.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (80)
Hmmm. A pantsless marine with ESP rescuing seven Hitler clones from South American drug lords. How could you go wrong? I saw enough variety and skill to merit a yes vote. It's a little repetitive but not enough to get in the way.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
kay
Those who want to watch entertaining material published will lose if people say nothing against a submission they find unsuitable for publication. This is detrimental for the overall well-being of the site.
Looks to me that this is non causa pro causa fallacy. How a TAS of a game that's not universally considered to be entertaining (plenty of games are like that, BTW) can hurt the overall well-being of this site?
kay
Yes, read the question up there. It says: "Did you like watching this movie?" The answer is no. Any more legitimate reasons you need?
That's not "legitimate", that's "subjective".
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
1) http://tasvideos.org/JudgeGuidelines.html#be_fair_
It is fairness towards the audience when judges disqualify worse submissions and qualify the better ones.
  • Too many bad publications turn the audience away.
  • Too few publications turn the audience away (and possibly the players too).
Since you like to throw around your latin names for logical fallacies, then perhaps this page could use your treatment as well. 2) Voting is supposed to be subjective, because the voting question is subjective. Sounds like this is a fallacy of "Non understanda pro fucking voting question".
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
kay wrote:
That's not "legitimate", that's "subjective".
No shit! Voting can't be objective. Sorry to burst your bubble. Moreover, it is supposed to be like that.
Warp wrote:
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
kay: when you have been here for all of a week, perhaps acting like you know better than everyone else isn't the smartest thing to do? Not that postcount and registration date has anything to do with being right, but it's a fair assumption that people who have been around for a while know how things work. Just a friendly tip from a judge (who happens to know that adelikat, JXQ and moozooh are right).
Former player
kay wrote:
You find this game boring and the music bad? It's easy -- don't play it and watch the run then, but don't bury it for those who care, OK?
If the game is boring and over all bad then why encode it just for those couple of people who care?
Former player
It seems I choosed a unpopular game.But I'll appreciate all the replies."Yes" or "No",the opinions are all valuable experience to me.Thank you. As to this game,to manipulate luck is a difficult thing.I've made another two movies for this game before,but they can't satisfy me because some of the "bomb man" didn't appear at the "save time" places.Finally I make it in the "U" version. I tried to make it more interesting,like shooting from very long away.At first you think this shoot is meaningless but just at the time it will disappear from the screen,an enemy come out to eat the bullet.
Just Run
Former player
I found a very interesting thing.We already have a speedrun of "Rolling Thunder"----[373] NES Rolling Thunder (USA) by foda in 11:51 Compare the two games,Rolling Thunder and Code Name Viper,they are extremely resemble.The hero has two life bars;he can jump forward or vertically;there are rooms from which the hero can get items;there's only one dull BOSS at the last stage;the actions of the hero and even some of the stages are similar. The two games have the same identities. As to the music and picture in game,Viper is better,for it was put on sale in 1989 while Thunder in 1986.In Thunder there are more enemies to hit.But in Thunder the hero can't fire while he was jumping. So,as we already have a nice movie for Thunder,let's also welcome the arriving of her twin sister Viper.
Just Run
Rolling Thunder was submission 373? It's entirely possible that if it were submitted now, it would be rejected. We're nearly at the 1500th submission, and the viewers have grown more sophisticated over the years.