• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Uses no passwords
I used VBA-rerecording-19
This run of Mega Man II for Game Boy is about as close to the limit as I’m willing to take it. I tried earnestly to find any time saving glitches and also a couple that Nach pointed out, but to no avail.
The improvements are so minor since I put a lot of effort in the published run, but I’ll go over the biggest ones.
One thing I figured out about this game is luck manipulation. I found that by standing still, I change the random number generator that affects what item the next series of enemies will drop.
In the published run, at the beginning, I neglected turning the opposite direction before getting hit. By the time I learned of that trick, I was already in Hard Man’s stage.
It’s not always beneficial to use the slide to get rid of the damage animation, and sometimes its even costly. One thing I always kept in mind this time around is that the slide lasts about as long as the damage animation so sometimes it’s better to get damaged as early as possible. One example is the area where I take damage from the fire-breathing dog in Wood Man’s stage.
There are several places where I went out of my way to jump off of a ledge when falling to scroll down to the next screen verses sliding off of ledge to fall, because the higher Mega Man is, the quicker he falls.
Again, I give credit to “Bag of Magic Food” & “Hero of the Day” for some strategies I used in this game.
I thank Bisqwit for such a wonderful site.
I thank Nitsuja for putting rerecording and other tools on VBA.
And I thank Nach for publishing my last run.

adelikat: Accepting for publication.

adelikat: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1466: dezbeast's GB Mega Man II in 17:41.28
Player (88)
Great run, just like the last one. The level of polish in the run is very high, and the action never stalls. Easy yes vote.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Good job, dezbeast. Run is nicely well done and near perfection. Is the horrible music quality due to the game, or GB sound emulation? Yes vote.
Former player
It's definately the game. If you listen to the music in Mega Man IV, you'll see that it's much much better.
Active player (277)
Hey how come you shot the houdai cannons in NeedleMan but bumped into them in WoodMan? And did you test any different level orders and um, places to stick Rush?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
It was necessary to shoot the cannons in Needle Man's stage because of bad randomness with the needle spikes. I had to manipulate a big energy refill and conserve enough energy. One thing that kind of bugs me is that the needle setup changes for the better after delaying 17 frames, and that's how long it takes me to shoot the last cannon. I have to shoot that last cannon. Otherwise not only do I have the worse setup with the needles, I don't have enough energy to make it through that worse setup. If you read in the Rockman World 2 thread, you will see that I did some extensive level order testing. I found that starting with Metal Man is optimal. And yes I tested more places where I could potentially use rush.
Skilled player (1885)
Great job of one of my childhood games. I remember playing this game several hours a day when I was a kid. Those were the days... :) This run looked very optimal. Very fluent and fun to watch. I vote yes. Is it just me who thinks this game has awesome music? I know the sound-quality is pretty bad, but the music itself... It's probably justbecause it brings back so many memories. :P
Experienced player (822)
I usually don't watch megaman runs, but I was bored today and this helped me pass the time. I wasn't floored (mainly because it's megaman), but it looked well optimized. I did notice some points where you took damage that seemed out of place, but I'm sure you know more than me. Anyways, yes vote.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Former player
Thanks for the positive responses. One thing I made sure about is that I absolutely avoid taking damage unless I was sure it would be quicker to. Randil, I agree that the music is ok, and it's the sound quality that's poor. I personally like Top Man's theme the best.
Banned User, Former player
The movie was well-made, but I greatly dislike this game. I spent too much time fastforwarding through slow cutscenes and uninteresting, hard-to-see screens. Meh. But it's Megaman. It's like fighting the unmovable object.
Perma-banned
Yes vote. One question about the game though... how does a metal weapon beat a guy thats basically a giant magnet? o_O
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Blaise wrote:
Yes vote. One question about the game though... how does a metal weapon beat a guy thats basically a giant magnet? o_O
If there are blades that can cut diamonds, then magnets can be cut too.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player (277)
Because too many metal blades get stuck to him and he gets clogged!!!!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I am giving this TAS a Yes vote. I remember playing the Gameboy Series when I was a child. :3 So this is like reliving old memories for me. ^^
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Nice optimizations, I see no apparent flaws in this run (not that I am an expert on megaman games). Yes vote from me.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (432)
Sorry for being very late but Im gladly voting yes on your run. Excellent work manipulating refills.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [843] GB Mega Man II by dezbeast in 17:41.28
Former player
This game... has the worst music.....
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Banned User, Former player
This is your run being played on a (large) projector screen. :P (there were a few others, like MMX2 and Sonic3/Knuckles too)
Perma-banned
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Wow!!! You played that at your school??? How awesome is that :D
Former player
Xkeeper wrote:
This is your run being played on a (large) projector screen. :P
Neat. But the pic is not coming up.
This may quite possibly be the best run posted on this site! Not only does it redefine "flawlessness" with unparalled action-packed connotations, it brings back those fragments of innocence like nothing else. That awe of life, those magical moments that grab you with such intensity, those experiences beyond words all materialize in full frutition with this run! It's like being given another chance to run free the playground of sensation when all was sensational. A great run all the way!
Glitcher
He/Him
chyren wrote:
This may quite possibly be the best run posted on this site! Not only does it redefine "flawlessness" with unparalled action-packed connotations, it brings back those fragments of innocence like nothing else. That awe of life, those magical moments that grab you with such intensity, those experiences beyond words all materialize in full frutition with this run! It's like being given another chance to run free the playground of sensation when all was sensational. A great run all the way!
*points to mouth and makes a gagging sound* It's a good run, but let's not go overboard. :p