• 1.7.2 re-recording v17.1
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Collects 100% of the items
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
Metroid Fusion is a very linear game where samus has to follow a set path and collect all of the power-ups. My run pushes this game to the limits, especially during boss fights like Yakuza. Because I collect all of the items, I have extra missiles that make the boss fights quite fast and entertaining.
The in-game time at the end is 0:57, 16 minutes faster than the current 100% single-segment run at SDA.

Notes

Here are some various notes about the run, listed in order of appearance.
  • I aim for fastest in-game time, even though there are only a few instances where this applies (like going through a door an extra time to build up the speedbooster).
  • Because all of the power-ups need to be collected, the game only measures percent by the amount of missile, energy, and powerbomb expansions picked up.
  • I like to abuse my missiles to make the run a bit more entertaining. I have 250 by the end, so wasting them won't hurt me.
  • Any pause I make before a room is to luck manipulate the eye door to open its eye right away.
  • There are 3 things that are useful to hit at the same time with 2 missiles: eye doors, Core-Xs, and Eye Core-Xs. This does the same damage as 2 missiles at the same time. Double missile shots on eye doors are only helpful before the charge beam is acquired.
  • Jumping for 1 frame off of platforms on to platforms directly below samus save 2 frames each jump.
  • Spinning and "unspinning" on crumble blocks will make samus fall through them faster
  • Shooting 1 frame after pressing the opposite direction will turn samus faster.
  • Jumping and shooting at the same time will make the beam/missile fire from the bottom of samus' sprite. This is also true for morphing at the same time, except it fires at the back of samus' sprite.
  • It is faster to morph in midair because there is no morphing animation.
  • Firing missiles while running will bend them. This can be helpful for killing creatures in a few spots.
  • Pressing left and right repeatedly while in morph ball form makes the ball stop spinning, like it's frozen.
  • The charge beam has a "flare" that appears in front of it while released. Enemies touching the flare will be dealt extra damage, which allows for one-hit eye door kills before super missiles.
  • Zazabi can waste no fewer than 3 jumps.
  • Morphing in midair repeatedly will cause samus to fall very slowly.
  • While speedboosting, pressing nothing for 1 frame, jumping for 1 frame, and pressing forward for one frame will make samus jump in the standing position. This allows samus to keep the shinespark for longer by crouching while approaching the ground.
  • Mega-X is killed in 4 shots by getting the flare damage inside of it each time.
  • Single walljumping is a combination of normal walljumping and morphing on the way back. This is first used to save time getting a missile tank in NOC.
  • Crumble blocks can be jumped off of the frame samus lands on them.
  • On the way to my ship (when the elevator shuts down), you may notice I don't lay the powerbomb right away. The blocks on the left act strangely, sometimes breaking and sometimes not (but I don't know why). The position I lay it in is about the only place the powerbomb will blow up all of the blocks.
  • The Yakuza fight is very interesting. First, I bring it down to one more hit until it would normally enter what I call its "spinny phase", where it would spin all around and spit crap all over the place. Then, I do so much damage that it actually skip its spinny phase (I only had 3 frames of leeway). The game freaks out and leaves behind a glitchy sprite that damages samus if touched.
  • The bomb I lay in the SA-X encounter strangely changes its position. I'm not completely sure what causes this, although it may be because the SA-X can "hear" samus' weapons.
  • During most of the Nettori fight, samus stands on a safe spot that needs pixel-perfect positioning. I also lay powerbombs, which do the same damage as missiles but also let me shoot the next missile a few frames faster.
  • Pressing R with a charge beam and while spinning will fire the beam and keep samus spinning. This allows me to spaceboost (space jumping while speedboosting) from room to room.
  • Firing missiles for Nightmare's low-gravity phase ended up being faster than charge beam shots.
  • My BOX II fight would best be described as, "me messing around". I was surprised to find out that it was faster than my originally intended method.
  • I have no clue why the music continues playing after the BOX II fight, although both the normal music and the boss music are playing at the same time.
  • In my last visit to NOC, I come in too fast from the right and mess up the door transition.
  • For second form of SA-X, I keep the second shot in it as long as possible (I shoot up as it jumps up). This is helpful because the wave beam does damage for each frame it is inside the creature.
  • I use the wave beam to my advantage again for the Omega Metroid. I stand in a position that lets the middle of the wave beam pass entirely through it, killing it very quickly.
  • Once again, my in-game ending time is 0:57.
Suggested screen shot: Frame 305208
Thanks to nate, moozooh, and Dragonfangs for all of your support.

DeHackEd: It has the most votes in a short amount of time, so you have to assume it's good. Plus I liked it despite having never played the game myself.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1467: BioSpark's GBA Metroid Fusion "100%" in 1:36:57.52
Former player
Easy Yes Vote. Because it can speed up the boss process of collecting more missile when your doing the 100% item collection. And if you're good, you can be more entertaining. It 16 minutes faster than the Speed Demos Archive Single-Segment run. This Matthew 'Wassup Dawgs' Beach SDA Single-Segment Run can completed without saving the game. Tasvideos - Clear Time: 00:57. SDA - Clear Time: 1:13
Former player
Um ... you're not supposed to compare tas times to real times.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Editor, Player (94)
I believe Megafrost did that in his explanation, but it can be edited out if necessary.
Former player
I was referring to Krocketneo's post, but if you want to change the description that's alright with me. Didn't even notice that in the movie description until you told me.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Shingen
He/Him
I think a better comparison here is that this movie is slower than the 0% movie by about 15 minutes. Which isn't a whole lot, going from 0% to 100% item collection. Voted yes, because I would have expected a 100% run to be almost twice the length of the 0% one - very good planning.
Former player
The long cutscenes and dialogue sucked, but i just turboed over them. You did a pretty nice job with this, voting yes.
Borg Collective wrote:
Player (88)
Very nice run. The run really picked up steam during the second half, where Samus just went around collecting items and was not being told where to go next. Gotta give this one a yes vote. I liked that the comparison was made to the real time record on the SDA. It gives the general audience an idea of how this run stacks up to the best known record. If there was already a run on TASvideos, then that would be the appropriate one to compare times to. Since there isn't a previous 100% TAS, the SDA time is the next best thing.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Idle missiles are the devil's playthings. oO Yes vote of course.
<Zurreco> if so called professional players cant adapt to every playing field, theyre obviously not that great
Former player
Saying that TAS and speedrun times shouldn't be compared is retarded. The stupid saying originated when some people over at the speedrunning community felt offended by TASes and the people here tried to be as politically correct as possible and went overboard. Of course the times should be compared, the most interesting thing about the time is how much faster it is than the speedrun. There's nothing wrong about it. Even a mongoloid understands that you're not comparing the times directly and thus putting the speedrun time down because the TAS is faster.
Former player
Kyrsimys wrote:
Even a mongoloid understands
LOL the irony.
Borg Collective wrote:
Active player (324)
Absolutely stunning. This is one of the best TASes I've ever seen.
Former player
On topic, the run was smooth and very entertaining, good job!
Active player (432)
Finally! The long awaited run is finished. I love and prefer 100% runs. And what a magnificent run it was, I especially liked how much you used your screwattack, your entertaining maneuvers while waiting for a boss to get ready and would like to salute you for delivering a high quality run as you promised. Cheers Biospark! Voted yes. Edit: Now all that is left is to wait for DragonFangs run :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Question: In SRX, when you're going to resolve the 5 vents at the beginning of the game, isn't it faster to jump out and/or over of the water instead of slow-walking through it? This is the only issue I can think off of the top of my head in regards to this run.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Excellent work. The discussions are a bit interrupting but the action more than makes up for those brief moments.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Senior Moderator
Man, I'm impressed: it took you whole two days to write the notes, and you even forgot to thank PJBoy for his suggestions. :D The run is gorgeous, especially the boss fights. I liked the luck manipulation. Quick questions on the parts I haven't seen before: 209650, 222100, 230750, etc. — is it faster to unmorph instantly or after reaching the ground? Because it doesn't look like you're following the same pattern every time. 224276 — was the plasma shot supposed to hit nothing? :D 267200 — lots of lag from shooting. 267550 — could you have accelerated more before reaching the ground here? 336560 — this turnaround looks ugly, but I suppose it was impossible to do anything with it. Couldn't find anything in the rest, so congratulations. The final sweep was, by far, the most entertaining part. Voting yes and looking forward to the 1% SS. ;) And now… A Bit of Trivia, or Why Do I Hate GBA Metroids. In Fusion: Samus's normal running speed: 3 px/f.* Samus's boosted speed: 5 px/f. Samus's shinespark: 6 px/f. In comparison to Super Metroid (notice the difference!): Samus's running speed: 4.75 px/f. Samus's shoulder-pump speed: 5.75 px/f. Samus's boosted speed: 9.75 px/f. Samus's shinespark (at max acceleration): 15 px/f. * — pixels/frame. Even if we adjust the speed to screen width (thus giving Fusion a bonus factor of 1.067), it's still slow as hell. Gah, I am so spoiled. :\
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player (324)
moozooh wrote:
267200 — lots of lag from shooting.
If he's aiming for fastest in-game time, lag doesn't matter, does it?
Senior Moderator
CtrlAltDestroy wrote:
If he's aiming for fastest in-game time, lag doesn't matter, does it?
It doesn't matter for the ingame time, but does for everything else. I honestly don't think it looks better that way.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
moozooh wrote:
and you even forgot to thank PJBoy for his suggestions. :D
The only thing I done was show him that Yakuza kill, though that is worth mentioning, that's one of the best parts of the run Little mistake was that you didn't do the spin-despin-forcefall after lowering the water in AQA Edit: note for the encoder, maybe you could make an avi that skips all the computer talk and elevator rides?
Former player
moozooh wrote:
It doesn't matter for the ingame time, but does for everything else.
Or does it? It did for MZM. Granted, that lag might be a little different.
Senior Moderator
P.JBoy wrote:
maybe you could make an avi that skips all the computer talk and elevator rides?
Bio told me he wanted Nate to do the encoding for the m2k2 crowd, at least until the movie is published. So if Nate's up for it, he might as well skip the dialogues there (since here it's impossible anyway).
BoltR wrote:
Granted, that lag might be a little different.
I mean the regular ingame lag, when the game delays updating the RAM/gfx values for a frame.
Warp wrote:
Former player
Er, I thought Nate despised tases.
Borg Collective wrote:
Senior Moderator
laughing_gas wrote:
Er, I thought Nate despised tases.
Check the 100% TAS topic at m2k2 then.
Warp wrote:
Former player
moozooh wrote:
I mean the regular ingame lag, when the game delays updating the RAM/gfx values for a frame.
I believe it increments the in game frame counter every frame, not every frane the RAM/gfx have been updated...