This submission is 348 frames (or 5.8 seconds) faster than our previous submission. The first four levels are completely the same to our previous submission, since there was nothing to improve there. The last four levels are completely redone. Time was saved over our previous submission by using death as a shortcut, and using a left+right bug to fire down while falling (more details at level 7 part of this submission). This means an improvement of 1164 frames (or 19.4 seconds) over Genisto’s run. Genisto did a really good job on making the previous version of this run, especially considering is was a Famtasia movie. You'll notice this movie uses two players, but we do think it should obsolete the current single player run. Using two players obviously saves time on the bosses, but also a lot of other time savers and strategy changes were made (which would have also improved a single player version) we included. A significant timesaver was not using S, since the bosses have more HP when a player has S. Instead, F was mostly used, which can be charged to do more damage than normal. A single player run could still not beat the two player version if these improvements were applied. Most of these improvements are listed below.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Two players control two players
  • Uses death to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Genre: Platform
  • Genre: Shooter
Note: Most of the submission text is copied from our previous submission text. The parts that are no longer true for this submission have been cut out, and new improvements have been added. If it just says “saved time”, it means that time was saved over Genisto’s movie. If we saved time over our previous submission, it will be mentioned specifically.

Level 1 - Gates Of Fort Firestorm

Jumping is faster than walking on diagonal platforms. Jumping doesn't cost time at all in this game (it did in Contra). If a boss is fought using the S weapons, he will have more HP (round 4/3 as much), so we didn't pick up the S. Instead, F appeared the strongest weapon. A boss can only take one hit each frame, but with F you are able to charge your weapon (by holding B for 33 frames) which will fire a bigger shot than normal. This will do 5 HP damage at once instead of just one (so technically saves 4 frames). There is only one F in this level, which is why the other player picks up an M. He also picks up the one R in this level. We would have given it to the player with the F, but R only applies to the weapon which was already equipped (and F appears after R). Picking up a new weapon cancels the R. Player two falling behind doesn't matter, since it's player one who makes the screen scroll.

Level 2 - Fort Firestorm's Warped Mind Control Centre

We are finally able to pick up the second F here. With two charged F shots the tanks can be taken care of pretty fast. Note that the missed shots were to charge the weapons again. Moving diagonally is obviously slower, but has to be done once in a while. If possible it's done when the level was auto scrolling. Since we have two charged F shots, and with the right movements, we were able to destroy the wall and keep the screen scroll for the entire time. Bosses are pretty fast with two F's, especially since they have the same amount of health when playing with one player.

Level 3 - Tropics Of Torture

The first R is obtained for a player with an F. Bullets go even faster now (pretty neat, since F already had bullets that were travelling faster than the bullets of other weapons). We sometimes shot or jumped to manipulate the random enemies to avoid lag. Watching the lag RAM address was certainly useful to make sure not a single frame of lag appeared. The spider mini boss can only be hit once it shoots, but when this happened appeared to be manipulatable. Being close to him made him fire sooner. Like mentioned before, one player falling a little behind at the earthquake part has no influence on when the boss appears.

Level 4 - Lair Of The Jungle Aliens

After a short horizontal part, the long vertical part kicks in. It was sometimes hard to avoid lag and try to do something cool at the same time. Note that the second R is obtained in a very sneaky way. Also watch closely when the second elevator is reached (turning off the frame counter might help). This boss was by far the hardest.

Level 5 - Massacre Mountain

Finally a long vertical part which doesn't autoscroll. This level really lives up to its name this time! This is where a big improvement over our previous run was made by abusing death as a shortcut. It will be sometimes hard to follow up what exactly is happening, but that’s probably a good thing ;). We do lose both of our F weapons, so the boss is slightly slower than in the previous submission, but we saved a lot more frames than this by dying. Note that the boss can be hit sooner, but cannot be damaged sooner. In fact, hitting him before he was vulnerable appeared to slow him down in getting vulnerable.

Level 6 - Jagger Froid's Fruit-Of-The-Doom Defense

We start out this level now without any special weapons, but we pick up an M and an F, so we end up with the same weapons as in the previous submission. The screen stopped scrolling for a few frames at the wall, but this was unavoidable. Here the boss cannot be damaged either until way after he appeared. We were even able to kill the snake before the second form of the boss was vulnerable.

Level 7 - Radioactive Lava Fields

The second M is obtained, and a R for the player which already had an M. This level was very hard. The big purple enemies needed to be manipulated to fire their bullets conveniently, so they wouldn't slow us down. Lag also had to be avoided actively. The additional bullets that were shot were for either entertainment purposes or luck manipulation. When you hold left+right+down, the player is able to shoot directly down, when walking normally, or when falling. Normally shooting when falling down is not possible, only when actually making a jump. Because it was now, we were able to do the green bubble part a lot faster than our previous submission. Xipo suggested using left+right input to show stuff off, and with this suggestion, it came to us that it could actually save time, so thanks Xipo, for the suggestion. Another R is obtained. A little time was saved on the purple plants by shooting down, which appeared to be possible. A lot of time was saved at the boss. Basically, first the belly must be destroyed and then the boss will sometimes open his mouth, which is when he can be hit. Since we had the advantage of two players, in combination with him having less health since we didn't have an S, we were able to kill him with his mouth only opened once. The boss couldn't be damaged before we started shooting. The bullets that hit the boss when falling down don't do any damage. In this new submission, we saved a few additional frames on this boss over our previous submission, mainly due to a different jumping strategy.

Level 8 - Red Falcon's Poison Palace

A level with two F's and an R, how cool is that? Another place where dying was possible to save time, which wasn’t done in our previous submission. We were a bit unlucky with having two players this time. Since with two players, the player ahead isn't centered, but walks a little to the right from the center. This is why the player in front reaches a certain point about 18 frames sooner, and has to wait for 15 frames because of this (and this is thus not noticable in a single player run). There were also a few frames saved on the final boss.

Thanks

We thank genisto for his previous run and Xipo for pointing out the l+r+d bug. We also thank all who showed interest, such as JXQ, Moozooh and others.
Enjoy!

Truncated: In before lock! No, wait. This movie is accepted for awesomeness. Yeah, that's it.

adelikat: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1490: Baxter & adelikat's NES Super C in 12:20.02
Senior Moderator
Re-yessing dis. Good improvement to an already excellent movie!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Of course it's still yes-worthy material. And it's nice to see heavy abuse of death for a change, even though for only a short while.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Active player (432)
moozooh wrote:
Re-yessing dis. Good improvement to an already excellent movie!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Stage 5 reminded me of playing the waterfall level of Contra with my brother... 'cept we never played like that on purpose. :)
We were a bit unlucky with having two players this time. Since with two players, the player ahead isn't centered, but walks a little to the right from the center. This is why the player in front reaches a certain point about 18 frames sooner, and has to wait for 15 frames because of this (and this is thus not noticable in a single player run). There were also a few frames saved on the final boss.
It seems improbable, but could you have saved any time by making one of the players game-over?
Former player
Easy yes vote.Waiting for this movie,now I am satisfied by 1000%:) To my surprise it was improved just several days after the first submission. It seems the bug pressing "left and right" at the same time can be very helpful.Maybe it is worth to be tried in some other games.
Just Run
Up and down at the some time might be helpful as well, it causes you to be laying down, but you still fire as if you are standing.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Skilled player (1402)
Dromencieus wrote:
It seems improbable, but could you have saved any time by making one of the players game-over?
Nice idea! You gave me a bit of a scare there, since I must admit that I hadn't considered it. I tested it, and it is true that if one player goes game over, the other player is able to scroll at the center. However, I tested it, and it couldn't save more than the death abuse that was done in level 8. For this death abuse there are obviously 2 players needed, and player 2 is the one that has to die, and he will be the player in front. This means that player 1 would need to go game over, right after player 2 respawns. But (and I tested it with no spare lifes left, so player 1 went game over with 1 death) before it's possibly for player 1 to go officially game over, player 2 has already gotten to the scrolling point, so to put it short: It's not possible to save time with this.
Twelvepack wrote:
Up and down at the some time might be helpful as well, it causes you to be laying down, but you still fire as if you are standing.
We spend like lots of time doing making this run, did you think we didn't notice this? When Xipo suggested the left+right thing, we also knew about it. The thing is that shortly afterwards we realized it could save time (at the bubbles and such). Laying down while firing normal cannot save time (unless you prove us wrong of course).
Former player
delicious run. YES!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [830] NES Super C "2 players" by Baxter & adelikat in 12:20.02
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Hell yes, this is a great watch.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (410)
I just watched it and it was interesting. P.S. It doesn't mean that I am favorable that a 2p run obsoletes a 1p run or vice versa.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
HD encode Link to video
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1402)
Nice encode, pity though that it doesn't have subtitles.
GabCM
He/Him
Baxter wrote:
Nice encode, pity though that it doesn't have subtitles.
We usually upload subtitles after we upload the video. feos didn't do it yet!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Baxter, YT has soft subs, & there ARE subs in this YT movie ^_^ Mister Epic, they worked for me yesterday, they work now as well.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1402)
Yeah, I noticed later. Sorry! :)
Personman
Other
Very artfully done. Love the death abuse.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.