Vectorman is considered to be one of the last great games for the Genesis platform. The hero is a robot with rocket-boosters in his shoes and a photon gun strapped to his hand, set to stop another, somewhat crazy, robot from destroying Earth. Oh, and the crazy robot has a nuclear warhead bolted to him.
This is my second version of this game, and although I believed my first version was of publishable quality, I can see now exactly how wrong I was. My first run was by no means bad, but I utilized a ton of new information provided to me by nitsuja, upthorn, and IdeaMagnate, which helped me improve it by over 54 seconds. Each level was improved, some of them very substantially thanks to RAM viewing for velocity. Some time was saved by utilizing different routes (most notably Day 6), and there was a bit more advantageous luck manipulation, most obvious in Day 7. Improved boss fights also probably account for a little less than half of the overall time saved.
This game has been known to suffer some desynching issues, so make sure you use the right ROM (World version, denoted by a (W) after the ROM name) and correct version of Gens just to make sure. I had a few problems with desynchs so I hope things work for everyone. Here’s the important info.Gens9Z_20070209 was used, and I didn’t change any settings except remapping the keys. No warps or passwords were used. Played on the hardest level.
My goal was to complete the game as fast as possible, and I take damage where it saves me time.
In my work to complete these two runs, I have compiled a fairly extensive list of data about this game, its physics, its bosses, and general tips to use. If I get around to asking Bisqwit for wiki editor privileges (or if he's reading this), I'll start up a Vectorman wiki page with all my fun stuff for anyone interested.
With all that said, I do believe this run can be improved a bit more by:
  • Subpixel optimization using the RAM values listed in the discussion thread by Upthorn. I only learned what they were for after I was about half way done with this run, so I didn't utilize them, but I'm sure they could come in handy.
  • Not taking damage in Day 3, and using the extra life to damage Borealis better at first. I'm not sure if this would work (either the avoiding damage, or causing more to the boss), but it's worth looking into.
  • BETTER MANIPULATION OF THE DAMN LADDERS IN DAY 15. Seriously, those things piss me off and could be the source for at least a few more seconds.
With that said I think this run can hit sub 11:30 status, but much more than that would take some new technique that I don't know about at this point. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the movie! Now it's time to put my knowledge to more use with a Vectorman 2 improvement.

adelikat: Nice improvements. It is obvious the author did his homework this time, and it shows in this quality TAS. Accepting for publication.

adelikat: Vectorman games seem to be a pain for encoding but I will give this one a shot.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1498: mmbossman's Genesis Vectorman in 11:41.75
Player (74)
Quick improvement! Thought it was great! yes!
Reviewer, Active player (277)
Nice run. For some reason the dancing vectormans in the lower left corner distracted me every once on a while. Yes vote.
Active player (301)
Two observations: 1. I noticed that the up-right shot is actually upon landing, not upon the next jump which I thought initially. Meh. 2. That damage boost in day 15 pwns. I've seen it before, but I have no idea of how to replicate it. That could save a bunch in Night in the Swamp in Vectorman 2, as well. (As well as vertical levels such as Bog Jam.) Voting Yes on this one.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Great improvement. Definitely a lot better than your prior submission. Voting yes this time around.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Experienced player (822)
mike89 wrote:
Two observations: 1. I noticed that the up-right shot is actually upon landing, not upon the next jump which I thought initially. Meh. 2. That damage boost in day 15 pwns. I've seen it before, but I have no idea of how to replicate it. That could save a bunch in Night in the Swamp in Vectorman 2, as well. (As well as vertical levels such as Bog Jam.) Voting Yes on this one.
Yeah, sometimes the shot is made two frames before the landing animation (in some rare cases it's 1), and it keeps the velocity at 1024. There would be a problem using the damage boost on horizontal levels, because damage automatically reduces his speed to 512. I haven't tried it on Bog Jam yet, but I have my doubts because there's something special about the fire extinguisher guy that gives him a tremendous upwards velocity which is transfered to vectorman when he's hit. I'll certainly keep it in mind though.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Senior Moderator
Voting yes as well. The run is much better now, I suppose getting it under 11:30 would be really hard.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Active player (301)
mmbossman wrote:
There would be a problem using the damage boost on horizontal levels, because damage automatically reduces his speed to 512. I haven't tried it on Bog Jam yet, but I have my doubts because there's something special about the fire extinguisher guy that gives him a tremendous upwards velocity which is transfered to vectorman when he's hit. I'll certainly keep it in mind though.
I said vertical levels >_> Additionally, in Night in the Swamp there's enemies with similar properties to the fire extinguisher. The reason I mention this is because Night in the Swamp normally forces you onto a lower path twice which takes time to drop down and go back up. The top path is blocked by large walls on those two paths, and that would be a handy way to bypass them.
Experienced player (822)
mike89 wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
There would be a problem using the damage boost on horizontal levels, because damage automatically reduces his speed to 512. I haven't tried it on Bog Jam yet, but I have my doubts because there's something special about the fire extinguisher guy that gives him a tremendous upwards velocity which is transfered to vectorman when he's hit. I'll certainly keep it in mind though.
I said vertical levels >_> Additionally, in Night in the Swamp there's enemies with similar properties to the fire extinguisher. The reason I mention this is because Night in the Swamp normally forces you onto a lower path twice which takes time to drop down and go back up. The top path is blocked by large walls on those two paths, and that would be a handy way to bypass them.
I know you said vertical levels, but you also mentioned Night in the Swamp also, and unfortunately in that level I've already sped up the first above ground sequence (by dropping down later than you did), and there aren't any enemies close to the elevators that would provide the required damage boost up from underground. Still doing some route planning for Bog Jam, but I'll try and keep everyone updated in the Vectorman 2 thread.
upthorn
He/Him
mmbossman wrote:
mike89 wrote:
mmbossman wrote:
I know you said vertical levels, but you also mentioned Night in the Swamp also, and unfortunately in that level I've already sped up the first above ground sequence (by dropping down later than you did), and there aren't any enemies close to the elevators that would provide the required damage boost up from underground. Still doing some route planning for Bog Jam, but I'll try and keep everyone updated in the Vectorman 2 thread.
I believe that what mike is saying is that you might want to go back and test if it's necessary to drop down at all. Just make a backup of your current progress first in case that shortcut isn't possible, or proves to be longer.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Experienced player (822)
upthorn wrote:
I believe that what mike is saying is that you might want to go back and test if it's necessary to drop down at all. Just make a backup of your current progress first in case that shortcut isn't possible, or proves to be longer.
Oooooohhhhhh.... I see now, no wonder there was some miscommunication. That is a good idea, and certainly something to test out. Glad I haven't made any progress in Bog Jam yet. Thanks for the idea Mike, sorry I wasn't getting it!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Nice improvement. The run looks much more impressive. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Banned User, Former player
I still have this game, and never managed to beat it. But you did. Just one question; why did you always fire when jumping? ... But past that, very good movie and entertaining (minus the horribly repitive "Cast" music...), voting yes.
Perma-banned
Experienced player (822)
Xkeeper wrote:
I still have this game, and never managed to beat it. But you did. Just one question; why did you always fire when jumping? ... But past that, very good movie and entertaining (minus the horribly repitive "Cast" music...), voting yes.
This was a trick found by Nitsuja (like all good tricks are), that allows me to essentially keep my horizontal velocity at the max (for on the ground). Usually after a landing the velocity is reduced to somewhere in the ballpark of 600-700 units (don't have the exact number off the top of my head), while the shot allows you to stay moving at 1024 units. While this didn't allow me to save a whole bunch of noticeable time in and of itself, it did allow me to make longer jumps than I had in my previous run, which cut down on the time dramatically in levels like Day 3. I had this game and it's sequel when I was a kid, and absolutely loved the first one. I got the second one for Christmas, beat it that day, and never touched it again, which made my mom swear she would never again buy me a video game. She's been true to her word so far, and now that I'm in my mid 20s I doubt she'll have reason to in the future.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Gotta put a big ol' yes vote on this one.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [845] Genesis Vectorman by mmbossman in 11:41.75
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
So I published this run, but I need a few more things: Are the categories good? I just have "plays on hardest difficulty" and "aims for fastest time". Does the movie take damage? does it avoid damage? Manipulates luck? Also, my gens is not doing screenshots for some reason. If someone could upload a pic of frame 15044 for me, that would be great. Also, I nice movie description is needed :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (822)
Those categories are good, I took damage to save time, and there isn't any real luck manipulation other than jumping on different frames to get the enemies to shoot in different directions (ie if I waited a few frames to jump, some of wobbly, bendy enemies would shoot horizontally instead of up and at an angle at me, which would allow me to clear them and move along). I have yet to come up with a good description of it, but I'm glad it didn't give you the publishing issues that vectorman 2 did.
Just watched it. The game was amazing back when I used to play it all the time when I owned a working Genesis. It's even more awesome watching the game get owned. The run itself was executed very well. Yes vote here. I'd also like to add that it didn't desync in gens_movie_9j.
upthorn
He/Him
SaxxonPike wrote:
Just watched it. The game was amazing back when I used to play it all the time when I owned a working Genesis. It's even more awesome watching the game get owned. The run itself was executed very well. Yes vote here. I'd also like to add that it didn't desync in gens_movie_9j.
It would have if your sound rate was set to 22050 or 11025.
Player (74)
Honestly I don't like the screenshot on this game at all. It says nothing about the game really and is hard to make out vectorman. Win some lose some i guess.
Former player
Cool game. Lots of action and the dude moves pretty quick. Yes vote.
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign