Experienced player (822)
Here is the complete collection of all of the current movies published (not including obsoleted movies) on the Front Page of TASvideos as of November 16, 2007. The format is: GOODROMNAME, movie #, EXTRA DESCRIPTION IF NECESSARY, time, AUTHOR(S) http://vba-m.ngemu.com/personalfiles/TAS_Movies_Collection_11-16-07__M992_.7z Thanks to mudlord for hosting
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Senior Moderator
You mean something like this?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User, Former player
No. His are all of the movie files (*.gmv, vbm, fcm, etc), nothing else, as far as I can tell. Oh, and they actually follow a rational naming format instead of "name-bob-meggerman5-v3bilion.fcm" or "v4-ohno-test-rockmega7.smv", making it ten billion times less annoying. I say go for it. Please. I can't stand the Nesvideos movie naming format, mostly because it's completely arbitrary and meaningless. (But perhaps: "GoodSet ROM name - M### (or S####) - 00:00:00:00 by NICKNAME" might work better, as that way individual movies/submissions can be easily gone to.)
Perma-banned
Experienced player (822)
I'm open to suggestions of how to improve it (ie taking out authors real names, using the goodrom names, etc), however I think it's more than workable right now. If people seem to find it helpful I could provide two files about every month. One file containing the new movies to be published for that month, so people keeping up don't have to redownload the same 5 meg file over and over again, and a complete set that is all inclusive, for those who haven't had a chance to get the original yet. Let me know what you think. EDIT: Removed old link
Reviewer, Active player (276)
I like it. It seems kind of weird to have zip files within a zip file, though. Can you change the names of the actual movie file? One of the things I find annoying about the current naming format is it's near impossible to find the movie I want to watch when I'm trying to load it into the emulator. Also, Gens, at least, can't open zip folders (it treats the entire folder as a file.)
Banned User, Former player
... It only changes the name of the external ZIPs? Damn. And my recommendation: GoodSetROMName - (M###/S###) GameType in 00.00.00.00 by Username.* e.g., Mega Man (U) [!] - (M123) in 13.59.99 by Bisqwit.fcm (S if it isn' tpublished yet?) Gametype would be "100pct", for example. I use "." for the time sperator because :, ', and " won't work.
Perma-banned
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
I use:
Experienced player (822)
Yeah, I'll work on changing all of them over before the next release, this was just done during some dead time in class so it's certainly not perfect, but I'm glad to hear people like the idea. EDIT: Here's a sample using the N64 movies. If it looks like a good format, I'll go ahead and start working on the other ones, although the NES section will suck. A lot. Let me know if there are any more suggestions (maybe about how to delineate between different versions, ie 16 stars vs 120 stars, I can't use ", while some people may not be able to use ') before I go on. **FILE LINK NO MORE**
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
I don't think we need the length
Experienced player (822)
Possibly not, but I think it will make things much easier in the future for updating the collection with faster runs. Especially when there's 3 or 4 runs of the same game. The time is at most 10 characters long and I like being able to know how much time I'll be setting aside to watch a specific run, but the file name length on some does tend to be a problem, unfortunately due to ROM name most often. EDIT: One question. Should I include the M####, S#### at all? Since the submission numbers don't match up with the movie numbers, would it really make a big difference? So far I've been doing the submission numbers, but I could change them, or just take them out.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Xkeeper wrote:
(S if it isn' tpublished yet?)
maybe WB if it isn't published yet?
Homepage ☣ Retired
Experienced player (822)
comicalflop wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
(S if it isn' tpublished yet?)
maybe WB if it isn't published yet?
I don't know if I want to start keeping track of all the runs that are currently on the workbench, considering I'd have to check daily to see if a run had been rejected or canceled into gruefood. I know there's a page that displays recent activity of the site, but I started this project more as a compilation of all the runs that were currently published. However considering there aren't too many runs accepted at the time being I could see about putting those into their own special folder or something to acknowledge that they're good enough quality but haven't been published yet.
Experienced player (822)
Here's the full collection of TAS videos, completely renamed for easy access and viewing. I'll be updating my first post every month or so with new submissions and completed archives. **FILE LINK NO MORE**
I think this compilation should only include published movies--If it's a submission that's good enough to be published, it will be published eventually. If it's a workbench or WIP, it will be updated soon anyway, and may eventually reach published status (or, if it doesn't get published, it would not have been worth archiving anyway). Therefore, only the MovieNumber is necessary. Naturally, maintenance will include replacing obsoleted movies with new ones. For nomenclature, I'm thinking: GameName-SpecialCategory-Time(hr.min.sec)-MovieNumber-Author (separated with hyphens) SpecialCategory would be 120Stars, 2playerwarps, etc. if there are multiples of the same game. If there's only one movie for the game, nothing needs to be put here. Examples: Kirby's Adventure (U) (PRG 0)-36.45.50-M701-JXQ.fcm Gryzor (J)-pacifist-09.46.38-M756-adelikat.fcm By the way, this sounds like a fair task. I appreciate your effort.
That's what she said!
Experienced player (822)
I gave it some thought, and I decided to go back and change all of the movies from submission numbers to movie numbers, just because there seems to be a little better continuity with the movie numbers. However I think the formatting is fine, so I'll just keep it the way it is. No matter how I distribute the information, someone is going to have a different idea of what will look best, so they can rearrange/change it for themselves if they really want to. I also am still on the border with whether I should include accepted, but yet to be published, movies. Since they're in their own folder and not mixed in with the published movies, I don't see a problem with it, but somehow at the same time it doesn't seem right. But for movies like Vectorman 2, that have been accepted, yet languishing on the workbench for over 8 months due to encoding issues, this is a good way to still make sure those movies get recognition. I'll keep making tweaks to this over the next month to this, but I think at least 90% of the work is done, and I'm quite pleased with the final result. :) Even if hardly anyone else uses this, it has led to me having over 400 movies at my fingertips, and coupled with full goodROM sets, means I'll have new entertainment wherever I have my laptop. I'm glad people seem to like it. EDIT: I've updated the files with the movie submission numbers, replacing the submission numbers.
Reviewer, Active player (276)
Can you update the file? The link you provided doesn't work anymore.
Experienced player (822)
Sorry about that, I've uploaded a newly updated 7z file to a sharing site that *supposedly* won't delete the file for 25 days. 6 new movies in the update.
Small niggles: Mukki's Gex64 run is missing it's file extension & Atma's GBA Aria Of Sorrow run got .fcm.Otherwise, ace job on a mammoth task! :)
There is a whole new world beyond these walls. Break them down.
Experienced player (822)
Thanks for those Hellfish, they're fixed now. I'll have an updated file sometime soon here, with all the new movies from the past month or so. I've been slacking off too much lately.
Experienced player (822)
Bump for easier access to the new file. Enjoy.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
Could you make it more like this by any chance http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/ybab321/untitled-12.png
Experienced player (822)
P.JBoy wrote:
Could you make it more like this by any chance http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/ybab321/untitled-12.png
I can see a few problems with this type of breakdown, unfortunately. Firstly, I'm not sure how the metadata for files is stored, so would a file labeled this way be backwards and forwards compatible (i.e. I'm on XP, would it look the same on '98, ME, and Vista)? Also, there are many users on platforms other than windows (Linux, and to a lesser extent, Macs) wouldn't be able to use these denotations correctly, AFAIK. Also, not everyone uses the layout you do, and while I'm all for personalization, I don't think it would be fair to make this a more restricted format for the people who simply use a list view, instead of having the details shown. Let me know if this makes sense and sounds reasonable.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
Yeah that's alright, just wanted to get your input on it really
Experienced player (822)
With my 1 year anniversary of registering coming up tomorrow, I figured a good way to celebrate would be to update this collection. --Dead link deleted-- However, I have a question. Does anyone find this useful at all? I'm not sure if anyone actually downloads this to use (other than the couple of people who have posted in the thread), so if no one really gets any use from it, I'll probably provide an update when we reach movie 1000, and then cease work on it (although I'll still keep doing it for my own benefit). Any input would be helpful.
Skilled player (1085)
I do find it very useful and I thank you for doing it. I almost always watch movies on the emulator. It is particularly good, in FCEU, to link to the NES folder under Individual Directory Overrides so that the movies are immeadiately at my disposal.