Post subject: Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves
Skilled player (1670)
Based on the supposedly kick-ass movie (I yet haven't seen it, but I've seen Men In Tights several times) with the same name, Robin Hood is in town, furious about the loss of his family, and some more tragic things. Prince Of Thieves contains an overworld sequence, similar to, well, many games, but let's say Legend Of Zelda, where you walk around and hit things, find items etc. It also contains badass man-on-man fighting, car chase... sorry, horse chases, overview fights, a HUGE boar, horrible jokes and a a status screen. Other than that, Prince Of Thieves is a pretty fast paced game, and is not that huge, and can hopefully result in a pretty decent TAS. And, just as a bonus, not too many games on the NES allow this to happen. I used the "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (U).nes"-ROM for this. Among the downsides, however, this game lags every now and then, especially when there's like 346 guards after you in the forest, which sucks. A lot. I have no estemations whatsoever how long this TAS would be, but when I played through it in real time for the first time ever recently, it took me 70 minutes, with no re-records, as well as no idea on where I should go, so that time can/will be reduced dramatically. One problem I encountered, however, was that once I killed the last boss, the game seemed to loop the ending sequence, no credits or anything. Anyone who played this game on console know if that's how the game is supposed to end? (This ROM was not armed with the [!], the ROM holding the [!] was a German ROM, and... eh...) And here comes my first V1 WIP: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/5036/Prince%20Of%20Thieves.fcm Questions, comments, suggestions? Edit: I have not yet checked if the overview battles allow more than one controller to be used, but if so, then their time can be cut down dramatically (You are allowed to change between which character to control, something I should use more if multicontrolling is unallowed) Also, sometimes the game lags/freezes for a couple of frames, and when that happens, enemies are being spawned near Robin. Edit2: I once again forgot to check out Peter's equipment, but I doubt he has anything of value. Edit3: The game has red potions, which makes you run like crazy, and also recovers 50 HP. Edit4: I gotta check out how accurate the CPU-controlled players are with bows, as things look now, I'll most likely not use bows, as the menu is slow, but then again, this is a test run, maybe I should try the bows. Right now, I'm not even sure if it's worth the time to open the first treasure chest to get a red potion. Maybe that can be skipped, and the key just dropped later on, but seeing how I am standing at the chest, I might as well pick this one up.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I played the game as a kid. This is interesting.
Skilled player (1670)
Good to hear that I'm not the only interested, gives me reasons to continue the run. My WIP until Little John gets his ass kicked. I'm currently like 2.5 times faster than my real time run, woho. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/5052/Prince%20Of%20Thieves.fcm As for this WIP: - I should have dropped the Leather Armor either as soon as I got it, or as soon as I got the Medallion from Duncan, OR not dropped it at all. I dunno if it's worth it. The yellow potion in the beginning. The thing is that Robin runs faster with less items in his backpack, but I should try to get items so the ones I need to pick up ends up on the upper row (The game fills the items from up to down, the left row first, then the second left...est row etc. - I approach the second castle wrong; I should of course do like I'm doing when reaching the third castle (The church). As for the first castle, I don't know which is faster, I will test both ways in V2 - The enemy bumping will be used more, and more efficient in V2. Frame 24400: I should have gone directly through the woods to the right, instead of passing under it first. Well, it'll be fixed in V2. EDIT::: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/5077/Prince%20Of%20Thieves.fcm <- My V1, complete and all. For V2: - Skip the Yellow Potion, use the Red Potion when (before) using the Rope. - Equip both Locksley Sword and Druid's Dagger, and use up Friar Tuck's Red Potion at the same time, after defeating Guy. - Is it possible to leave the woods during the Missing Woodsman-mission by going straight south after leaving the well? - I mess up in the last castle, but had screwed up my statesaves and blablabalba. Also, I will do absolutely EVERYTHING to avoid the healing sequence in the end, eventhough a 100% no healing would be difficult to achieve. - I had absolutely no idea that you lost the character in the overhead battle if he had no weapon, or whatever the hell happens in the last battle. I have no estemation how much time can be saved from V1 to V2, but... well, I'm gonna be optimistic and say that 24 minutes are very possile, with better item-arranging, overhead battles, and better monster-in-the-pond-fight.
Warp wrote:
Skilled player (1670)
I just defeated Little John, and I'm almost 2400 frames ahead of myself. On the other hand, I've already used the Red Potion, so V1 will get some time back later. A lot of time was gained on the second overhead battle, and overall more kickassness.
Warp wrote:
Robin uses Bat-boosts. *snicker* Good luck with V2, Cardboard. :)
Skilled player (1670)
Thanks. I've encountered some difficulties, so I'll make a V3 as well, using a different strategy, to make sure that my run ends up okay.
Is it possible to leave the woods during the Missing Woodsman-mission by going straight south after leaving the well?
Did not work. Didn't work to leave as soon as you enter the well, nor as soon as you enter the druid chamber in the end.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
SO I have decided to do a speedrun of this game, as far as I know I am the only one interested in doing a TAS of it aswell. I have found one sequence break, a text+fight skip in the early stages of the game: http://sv.twitch.tv/svenne1138/c/1700047 Also a fun boss-fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Zdmo3vB9s
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Skilled player (1885)
In addition to the forum topic NitroGenesis pointed out, Cardboard also submitted a TAS of this game: http://tasvideos.org/1524S.html