Star Wars TAS by laughing_gas and Walker Boh

This is a TAS of the game Star Wars for the NES. It completes the game in 9:46, an improvement on Walker Boh's published run by 502 frames (8.367 seconds). Walker Boh is listed as co-author because I reused the parts of his TAS where you have to shoot down tie fighters in the first-person view. Honestly, he did a much better job with those parts than I ever could have done.
Most of the improvement comes from not picking up the advanced blaster in the first level, and thus skipping most of the level. Some more frames were saved through minor movement optimizations, including a new damage boost glitch that allows the character to be knocked back at high speed. However, a few frames were also lost due to using the weaker blaster during boss fights.

Emulator Settings

• Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.15
Rom: Star Wars.nes

Goals

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Takes damage to save time

Acknowledgments

Thanks to
  • Walker Boh for making the previous TAS of this game
  • Maximus for his TAS movie editor
Enjoy the run.

Truncated: I can't help but feel that the first-person segments should have been tried again instead of simply copying them and hoping that they are optimal. But in spite of this, the improvements elsewhere are big enough to warrant a publication.

adelikat: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1522: laughing_gas, Walker Boh's NES Star Wars in 09:45.68
Former player
Looks like I'm back to TAS'ing! That was a surprise.. Wish you would have asked me first, but I guess it's ok since I have no intentions of TAS'ing this game again anytime soon. Edit: To clarify: I'm not fond of people taking others work like this, I'm just not sure if I'm that bothered nowadays. You said you used a sequence from my old TAS, that's good. You listed me as a player, that's good. You didn't asked me, that I don't like at all. Well, it's an improvement none the less. Good job.
/Walker Boh
Former player
At first I was unsure whether to ask you or not, then I remembered Aqfaq listing stanski as a co-author on his Dark Castle run without stanski's knowledge, so I thought that would be a precedent. Looks like this isn't the case though, so I'll be sure to ask in the future.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Active player (432)
Sorry but I have to vote no. The game was really uninspiring. I mean most of the time, Luke (who really looks more the character in Journey To Silius) went through a lot doors.. and well I really have nothing positive to say about the game. The effort looked pretty ok though but wasnt entertained. Not much action.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (74)
laughing_gas wrote:
At first I was unsure whether to ask you or not, then I remembered Aqfaq listing stanski as a co-author on his Dark Castle run without stanski's knowledge, so I thought that would be a precedent. Looks like this isn't the case though, so I'll be sure to ask in the future.
He asked me privately about it and if I wanted to be listed as a co-author, and I never did a TAS in the first place, so he didn't really copy my input, just used a trick. Anyhow, it didn't look like you copied that much from the previous TAS, and honestly, you could have not even told anyone you copied it and people probably wouldn't have noticed, so its good that you did that. Voting yes.
Experienced player (822)
I'm one of the people who has never seen the Star Wars movies (other than bits and pieces). But I watched this and was pleasantly surprised. It had different points of view, nice platforming, and overall was entertaining. Plus it's an improvement, so yes.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
There wasn't a single point in the game that interested me in the least. Voting 'meh' since it improves on a published run.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
laughing_gas, or anyone else knowledgeable, a question: can you affect how quickly the first-person shooting scenes end, or is it just about not dieing? If it's the former, how sure are you laughing_gas thay they are optimal? The previous movie is pretty old by TAS standards.
Former player
I've tried not dying before, and it came out to something like 30 frames slower, so perhaps shooting the fighters has something to do with it.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
This game is a moderately fun watch... far from the worst I've seen. I enjoyed watching the platform levels actually, because Luke is such a quick little guy. I'd probably lean towards yes even if it weren't an improvement.
Player (215)
The doors part was tedious, but Luke's speed, and the big jumps he made, made the run interesting enough.
I was entertained by the run; quick footwork and expertly played vehicle missions were nice to view. Good work, and may the force be with you
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [877] NES Star Wars by laughing_gas, Walker Boh in 09:45.68