Submission Text Full Submission Page
Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves
  • fceu 0.98.16 was used
  • This run will NOT sync with the German ROM.
Goals:
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
The run is 23:42 minutes long, 85332 frames.
Prince John and the sheriff, they were running the show. Raising the taxes 'cause they needed the dough. A reign of terror took over the land. They was shaking down the people just to beat the band.
The people were unhappy, morale was low, they had no place to turn to, there was nowhere to go. They needed a hero, but no one could be found, 'cause Robin Hood was out of town. And that is where this TAS begins...}}
This game reminds me of Zelda I, Trojan, and a violent version of Sensible Soccer.
The game is split into 4 different sequences:
  • Overhead
This is the most common sequence of the game, and the part which reminds me of Zelda. The player controls Robin, and runs around from point A to B (Mostly from the camp to a place where a mission takes place, and then back to the camp).
In this mode, Robin mostly gets attacked by guards, but wolves, rats and snakes are not uncommon enemies. Robin can use several different weapons to defend himself in this mode, but I stick to the sword. If Robin, or someone in Robin's band, uses a Red Potion or drinks Healing Water, Robin's walking speed is greatly increased. Robin's walking speed is also affected by the amount of equipment he is carrying (That's why I drop items I don't need rather than putting them in my backpack).
  • Man-To-Man Battles
A few times in the game, Robin goes on a duel man-on-man. These battles are boring to watch, I know, because all I do is place the enemy in a situation where he can't strike back, and just kill him as fast as possible. This is the part which reminds me of Trojan.
  • Overview fights
Imagine having hooligans in Sensible Soccer. Well, there you have this game's overview fights. In the later fights, I let my characters die, because they fewer alive characters, the fewer enemies attack me. The AI is horrible in every way, so these parts are so awful that it makes me sad.
  • Horse riding
2 of them in the game. First time, Robin, Duncan and Azeem are being chased by a couple of guards, and jump over rocks. Second time, there are no guards chasing, so I do not really know the point of the second ride.
  • General stuff about the run
- Peter dies no matter what
- I enter Locksley Hall suboptimal to prevent a rat-lag-infestion.
- After using Friar Tuck's Red Potion, I switch back to Robin Hood, so Robin gets the Red Potion from the Weapons Master's cabin.
- For some reason, a double strike do not work on Sheriff (Last battle), so he takes one hit, and then is able to jump and avoid my second attack. Fast fellow.
- After defeating Guy and Friar Tuck joins the party, you are supposed to talk to Marian and lose Duncan, but I keep Duncan, as he's still out of the gameplay after that mission.
- I'm pretty certain that a using bow would be slower. Only Locksley Bow has good strength, but it drains too many arrows.
Perhaps this game is a little repetetive, but I don't think so though. I see it as a fast paced Zelda-clone, and people seem to like Zelda.
  • NOTE
I am not sure that this is how the game ends. The credits do not start to roll, but the credits don't start to roll even if you press a lot of buttons during the wedding scene, it just loops. Anyone knows this better than me?

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1524: Cardboard's NES Robin Hood - Prince Of Thieves in 23:42.20
Active player (432)
Voting meh due to the nature of the game and a bit too repetitive for my taste.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I enjoyed the game, it had some unique moments for a NES game. It is a lot like zelda only faster paced (helped by the ability to move diagonaly and speed potions). The overhead battle scenes look cool and very complicated to optimize. There is a lot of route planning and plenty of boss fights. This game seems quite suitable for TASing and the run itself shows a lot of planning & work. I vote yes.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
I used to love playing the game boy version. The NES version is strikingly similar except it was more fast paced. I was entertained all the way. Yes vote.
I vote yes....
I remember playing a Robin Hood game when I was young. I think this might have been it, which makes me glad that I finished the game in a single day, meaning that I didn't spend any more time on it. It's just so boring. Sorry, but I'm voting no.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
Well, I'd never heard of this game before. It's surprisingly fast-paced for an NES game, but 3 of the four game modes are annoyingly repetetive. Which brings this from a yes, to a yes.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Former player
Very interesting movie,although a little bothering after watching it for about 15 minutes.However,yes vote.
Just Run
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Of the different game types, only the horse-scenes seemed to drag on for me. It helped that the most interesting mode is also the most commonly used. The speed potions brought a nice element to the run. What would have been cool is if in the overhead scenes, all four players could be controlled. A decent run. My vote is a slight yes.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Senior Moderator
Hmm… The game is very cool by itself, much better than one would expect from NES, with relatively good graphics, music and story (rather truthful in regards to the movie), not to mention 4 different gameplay modes. The run is decent as well, though I believe 1-on-1 fights (and maybe some overhead fights) could be improved a bit. But somehow I couldn't watch it without fastforwarding. :( My vote is meh with a tilt towards yes.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Shingen
He/Him
There's no end credits. You find a note in one of the wells, and when you examine it, it's the credits. My vote was about 75% yes, and 25% meh.
I'm a little bit torn about this. I watched without fastforwarding and parts of it were fun, and there was clearly a lot of strategy in making the run... but I found the game ugly and a lot of it was boring. I have a feeling that if I knew the game better my vote would be different, so I'll abstain.
Player (120)
Why did you cancel? Did you improve it?
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Skilled player (1670)
I came up with ideas for improvements which will work, yes. Since I only kill like 5 (Boar, things in the lake and Skeleton) overworld enemies in the game, there's no reason to carry the Long Sword the entire time, since all it does is making me slower. I'll also try some new stuff against the Boar, such as a Bow of some kind (Locksley Bow is in that very room and causes 20 DAM, compared to the sword's 8 on Level 1). I'll also try to have less characters alive during the overview fights, since that makes me face less enemies (I'll of course still need to have enough players alive to make the battle itself fast), and also see if Level Up in any way affects my DAM and speed in the man-on-man-battles. I'll also see if I can find some way to skip the horse scenes, since they... well... sucks.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!