Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is an "Any Percentage" completion of Mario Kart 64, to see the end credits players are required only to beat the Special Cup on 150cc and that's exactly what I do. This run began as the next step in proof-of-concept runs I'd been doing for my research work with ComicalFlop's 16 course run. I had done a Flower Cup run earlier this month and concentrated purely on strategy exploration with time and optimization as a secondary importance. As I began the Special cup I remembered that one need only beat this single cup to view the credits and be greeted by Mario saying "Hey, you're very good! See you next time" as the words "THE END" bounce across the screen. So, I figured I'd test out the TASing skills I'd been developing thanks to Comical Flop's guidance and make this cup as optimized as I could stand. I think the result is quite impressive and certainly entertaining. I developed new strategies, especially on RRd, with surprising results.
Mario Kart 64, Any Percentage Completion
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Racing
SETTINGS
  • Video: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
  • Sound: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
  • Input: TAS Input Plugin 0.6
  • RSP: RSP emulation Plugin
Course Times:
DK: 20"21 (10"48, 6"21, 4"22)
YV: 29"43 (9"33, 10"33, 9"77)
BB: 1'29"80 (33"36, 22"99, 32"45)
RRd: 1'02"32 (34"95, 13"92, 13"45)
Frames:
19,045 Last race frame (5 min 17.42 sec)
20,018 Second to last frame of necessary input (5 min 33.63 sec)
24,194 Last frame of input to initiate the End Credits (at 6 min 43.23 sec)
8317 rerecords
Credits end at about 9 min 34 sec.
Suggested Picture:
Frame 10,923
First, I use two extra frames at the beginning to choose Toad rather than Yoshi. For the record, I have no reason to believe that there is any difference between Toad, Yoshi or Peach in terms of performance and control (and the variety of characters used for WR’s over at mariokart64.com is further proof of that). However, there is a discernable difference in weight between Toad and Yoshi/Peach. The difference is very small but every bit helps for SC’s like Banshee Boardwalk. So, I chose Toad to ensure maximum hops off of cpu players.
DKJP:
I tried two very different strategies on this level but neither panned out. They were: 1. CPU hop back through the trees on the left and somehow drop down into the tunnel while triggering the regular SC. This completely failed.
2. More promising, I drove forward and cut around the trees by the water towards the waterfall. I managed to get behind those trees and my hope was that I would be able to jump down into the cave from here to speed up the first lap. Unfortunately there is a large, invisible polygon that forces a tumble and put me right into the drink no matter what I did.
So, I ended up using the typical SC strategy and just optimizing it. The very first turn is more aggressive and direct than normally attempted on a console. Please keep in mind that if you try to compare this run to the WR times, I am playing in 150cc when Time Trials is approximately equivalent to 100cc. However, I have only two mushrooms.
YV:
Now for a course where the SC brings me nowhere near an item box. With no mushrooms I was forced to get creative with the strategy. The first lap was fine, the SC is perfectly doable without an extra shroom. It’s the second and third laps that are tricky. The third lap strategy is obviously the fastest (and just barely possible without a mushroom) but when Lakitu puts you back on the track it is further forward and just far enough to make it impossible to trigger the SC (at least based on my testing). So, I came up with what you see in lap two as a way to allow three quick SC’s because this strategy places me in the right spot for lap 3. I would like to dedicate this particular trick to the late Martin McMullan who discovered the fast lap strategy that uses a similar fence bouncing technique.
BB:
First, I’d like to mention that the wall-hit early on in this level was intended to demonstrate how some corners can be used to make abrupt corners. This is especially true in Bowser Castle (not shown in this run) but it may not have been faster here. No matter, I had to wait a bit for Bowser later on anyway. For the record, manipulating cpu movement is next to impossible. Hopefully, with time, a greater understanding of how to do this can be obtained. I first performed the massive jump about 2 years ago using save-states but no slow down or re-recording. I think it is worth noting that I cannot guarantee this jump will be possible in Comical Flop’s run that Fried and I are supporting. Bowser happened to swing wide and fast and I was just barely able to get enough speed by shroom-sliding.
RRd:
I would like to thank Malcolm Young for making a video of a lap trick on this course back in 2001. He used toad to jump off of Bowser in Versus mode to trigger the strange SC. This was largely an inspiration to me to search for more interesting GP mode SC’s involving cpu jumps and items. In this course I took Malcolm’s discovery to another level and used items readily available to me from the conveniently close item boxes behind the finish line. My hope was that I could go back to those item boxes and grab two sets of triple green shells never to return. However, I was surprised to discover that it is impossible to get triple green shells in last place (a strange predicament). So, I decided to try my luck with red shells. Unfortunately, if you hit yourself with a red shell and fall off the side, you continue to tumble straight down (unlike the green shells). So, I grabbed a set of mushrooms as well (triple rather than golden, so I could use more after Lakitu brought me back). I knew that one way to protect yourself against a red shell was to jam a mushroom at the last possible and hope and, if you were lucky, your character would make a big hop rather than tumble. With TASing I didn’t have to hope, but I did have to experiment to see the cause. Turns out this occurs if you use a shroom the frame you would normally get hit the jump occurs on its own. In fact, if you press R to jump during this frame, you will get hit.
After this strange part of the first lap, I used the magic of AB-spin-shrooming to make some tight maneuvers and grab a set of triple green shells. Please note that hitting the wall at the very end was somehow “01 faster than not hitting the wall. If you watch the speedometer, it indicates that this does not slow me down but it does allow me to spend less time turning.

Truncated: Firstly, I don't like the idea of running only one cup. That would either mean that we publish every cup as a different movie, or have both a "full run" and an "any % run" which would be identical for the last cup. Neither of these is a good idea.
Secondly, some people have pointed out that this movie is badly played.
For these two reasons, this submission is rejected.

1 2
5 6
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1533: Weatherton's N64 Mario Kart 64 "Any%" in 06:43.23
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
I am happy to be the first to vote yes on this run. I'm glad we finaly have a MK64 TAS :D And it is about like I imagined it would be. Full of insanity. Between the 4 tracks, it had a good balance of glitch-fest vs actual racing (well, mostly glitching ;D). I think this run should be published but that an all cups run should one day obsolete it.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (601)
I encoded the run with Xvid: http://people.virginia.edu/~avw6s/MarioKart/TAS/MarioKart64_anyPercentage_Weatherton.avi I'm not sure why but the sound has issues on my VLC player, plays fine on WMP though.
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Player (215)
A Yes vote here, too. I also think that when an all cups done is run, it should obsolete this, but this is pretty nice for now :)
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Long post time. Beyond Yes vote. watched through all of it beforehand, and the shortcuts shown are beyond description. There is no reason this should be rejected. Now, unfortunately, time for a massive opinionated post about how I feel about what this submission (and not the author himself) inadvertently does to my TAS: It completely ruins almost everything about my run. (IRC members can skip, I'm repeating a few things said there.) When I started my run back in February, I did something which was sub-optimal for Luigi's Raceway. It was highly appreciated by the TASvideos.org site, but frowned upon by the mariokart64.com site. I took one month redoing, accepting the help of Michael Fried and Andrew Weatherton, who would become key members in my project. The course was taken from 46 seconds down to 37, in ways that weren't expected of even the professional karters. It was frothere that my run became highly anticipated by both sites, because of the high amount of extreme optimization that went into the courses, and of course, because of the insane tricks and shortcuts that were being pulled off and conceived of that are nowhere near possible to be accomplished in real time (for the most part.) I was majorly excited with the run. I had never worked on something that was so eagerly anticipated by two sites. I was on the road to make a run that was long deserving to be an addition on the site, and which, based on the expressed opinions of posters, would be widely enjoyed by all. Mario Kart 64 is one of the most popular N64 games of all time, and continues to be played competitively to this day. So my motivation was off the chart as I started Moo Moo farm. However, the ETA for the run is over a year. Luigi Raceway took 1 month to do, and currently it's been 40 days and Moo Moo Farm just completed it's 1st lap. so the progress on this was extremely slow. sometimes I get lazy, or I don;t have the energy to work on this. beyond that, the game is incredibly difficult to optimize, testing tricks takes days on tis own, and worst off Michael Fried had me redo segments on an almost daily basis. So this run had become the biggest, most optimized, most anticipated run that I had ever worked on, and it pushed me through each day to work on it to finally show to both communities. One of the biggest motivators for me to work on this was the secrecy. through the combined work of Weatherton, Fried and myself, we concocted ideas and came up with new shortcuts that were never before even thought possible. Each course was going to be incredibly new and exciting for audiences, as after a month each they would see one new of their favorite courses beaten in ways not thought possible. when it comes to good runs on the site, it is my opinion that the best way to show progress is some at the beginning to create interest, a little in the middle to show the flavor of the run, and then stop about mid-way until submission to keep audiences eagerly waiting. (megaman quad-run is a perfect example of this process.) I wanted my run to do just that; to stop halfway and not reveal any progress in order to keep people peeing in their seats waiting for the eventual submission. And this contributed to more than 50% of my own motivation. I was working on a run that was revolutionary, would be completely unexpected among audiences, and surprise them beyond imagination. However, it seemed that once Luigi Raceway was shown, progress slowed, and many people got impatient. to the point where the beginning of my run slowly losing it's surprise factor would start to kick in. Andrew Weatherton is one of the most incredible people I have worked with. He has turned his kart addiction into one to find every conceivable shortcut imaginable in this game. There is not a single course and idea that he has not explored, and has come up with the majority of shortcuts that would be used in my run. He was fully testing almost every single course ahead of time so that by the time I got there, all I needed to do was TAS it and worry about perfection. However, due to maybe lack of communication or misunderstanding, a few courses/techniques were revealed by Weatherton. I had not made any statements, but I had wanted the project to not reveal anything until the course was complete, and any trick in the last two cups to not be shown until submission. this would create, in my opinion, the greatest amount of surprise to the audience. but first a few minor vids were shown of techniques. then some fastest lap demonstrations. before I could fully control the situation, full test runs of *cups* were being posted, against my wishes. No longer could the new stuff discovered be kept secret until the course was posted, which is what I believed to be for the best for the run and its audience. People's memories are very sharp. watching a TAS for the first time can never be undone, unless you have amnesia. the second time can never fully bring back that awe in watching the first time. and this submission, in a roundabout way, has utterly removed that from my run, for which I am very disappointed. These vids show techniques that I was going to implement in my own run. I've watched over the flower cup test run and this submission, and most show 95% of what I'm going to do. (because that's what was intended, since they are test runs that ended up being very successful.) Mushroom cup only has one course not know, KTB, because we haven't worked it out yet. Flower cup is fully revealed. Special cup is fully revealed. the only one safe is star cup, but most of those courses won't offer too much new and what's to stop weatherton from posting the test run of that cup? also I'd have to post wips of special cup, so I can't keep star cup a secret at all. now, what does this run do to me emotionally? It makes me feel very angry, but worst of all it makes me incredibly unmotivated. The big question going through my head right now is: Why the fuck should I continue? I can't find a good reason. The surprise is totally gone. all my run would is make what's shown be frame perfect. This game is incredibly difficult, and will take me very long to make, and I do not see myself enjoying doing so JUST to make a frame perfect run. I wanted a frame perfect run that SURPRISED people. I don't have that anymore. why should I waste a year just to work on frame perfections? I have other runs that I could work on (although that would be very depressing to me, I LOOOOOOVVVED this run and wanted to eventually finish it SO bad). as I said earlier, my main motivation for this was the awesome secrecy and shortcuts. I have no energy to simply redo what is now shown publicly and make it frame perfect. No, if you watch this run my run will not surprise you as much as if you had not watched it. people who join the site in a year will be surprised, but everyone reading now will watch my run and know what to expect, which is very depressing to me. This has me very angry and hurt, and ok, yes my ego is deflated by a lot, but that's to be expected when my own favorite run that I love working on the most becomes ruined so. "suck it up CF" Guess what? I will not suck it up. This is a major blow to my emotions and my run. I REALLY wanted it to go a certain way, and now that is not happening. "I will be surprised, I promise!" I'm taking psychology classes. I guarantee you can never be surprised twice unless you are medically forgetful. "Just forget about it and work on your run" This is not something easy to forget/forgive. This is my run, and what it means to *me* is important. "You're stealing Weatherton's thunder" No fucking way am I. He is my friend, my partner. He had every right to have submitted a run, especially since he started the topic, got me motivated in the first place, and made a promise of sorts to Martin that he would complete a run one day. I would have preferred that it be a different run, or something made after mine, but it's his .m64, that he made, in memory of his friend. It is very unfortunate to *me* that his run hurts mine so, I would have it not be the case any day. "So quit you whiner" I may. This is very depressing to me. I'm fully addicted to TASing, but if a run that was at the center of my heart has been spoiled so much, I don't know what to make of it. "Don't quit!" I do this all for you guys (another reason why I'm disappointed my run can't surprise you all.) I love this site, this community, my strong online friendships, and I'd be as disheartened as you too if I quit, I'd have nothing to do with my time and be very sad. But honestly, the main reason I was working on mario Kart 64 has been completely ruined, and I don't know what to do. Edit: read through everything with open mind first. Picture yourself in my position and imagine what it must be like. Walk a mile in my shoes. I probably should have made that clear at the beginning.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
Wow. What a glitchfest. Definite yes. @Comicalflop: stop throwing a hissy fit. Weatherton's run is any%, and yours is 100%. I'm sure that the other courses will have just as interesting shortcuts. Just because we've watched this already doesn't mean we won't be eagerly awaiting your run.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Post subject: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Banned User, Former player
comicalflop wrote:
whining
Anyway, downloading the AVI made right now. I really hope the wait is worth it, though, but judging from the comments I should have no problem.
Perma-banned
Player (74)
comicalflop: You should be doing a run for your own satisfaction and to make yourself proud, not for anyone else. Otherwise, you will be dissapointed.
Player (88)
Pretty sweet run. Voting yes because it satisfies the "any%" category of this game. comicalflop: You shouldn't let this discourage you. If anything, this run will serve as a bar to work off of. Besides, the Donkey Kong JP and Yoshi Valley tricks are old and well known by now, very few people will be surprised by them. The banshee boardwalk trick should have been obvious to most viewers. The only thing about this run that really showed me something new was the Rainbow Road trick. I am not trying to downplay the coolness of this run, but I am trying to say that your 100% run would not have that many shock and awe moments anyway. I think the prestige of your run would be the fact that it is superbly optimized, not so much these "semi-obvious" tricks. I encourage you to continue your run, because it will be a full run. You seem to forget that the other 3 cups are of any importance. Even if you think the tricks in those cups aren't as cool, they should still be included on this site.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
laughing_gas wrote:
Wow. What a glitchfest. Definite yes. @Comicalflop: stop throwing a hissy fit. Weatherton's run is any%, and yours is 100%. I'm sure that the other courses will have just as interesting shortcuts. Just because we've watched this already doesn't mean we won't be eagerly awaiting your run.
Xkeeper wrote:
comicalflop wrote:
whining
Anyway, downloading the AVI made right now. I really hope the wait is worth it, though, but judging from the comments I should have no problem.
Read disclaimer at bottom, and try to read through whole thing without going "yawn, he's whining." I tried to make it as thought-out, non-whining as possible. It is very easy for you to say "suck it up" but if you read through, you must see through my perspective if you're to understand what I'm going through. yes, you may think I'm a spoiled little girl that had her lollipop taken away from her, but the truth is I HAD my lollipop taken away, and I'm venting and being frustrated in a gentlemanly way.
stanski wrote:
comicalflop: You should be doing a run for your own satisfaction and to make yourself proud, not for anyone else. Otherwise, you will be dissapointed.
No, I make my movies for the site and everyone on it. The people here are my motivators, and who I make the movies for. "don't make pride movies" is one of the submission rules.
hero of the day wrote:
comicalflop: You shouldn't let this discourage you. If anything, this run will serve as a bar to work off of. Besides, the Donkey Kong JP and Yoshi Valley tricks are old and well known by now, very few people will be surprised by them. The banshee boardwalk trick should have been obvious to most viewers. The only thing about this run that really showed me something new was the Rainbow Road trick. I am not trying to downplay the coolness of this run, but I am trying to say that your 100% run would not have that many shock and awe moments anyway. I think the prestige of your run would be the fact that it is superbly optimized, not so much these "semi-obvious" tricks. I encourage you to continue your run, because it will be a full run. You seem to forget that the other 3 cups are of any importance. Even if you think the tricks in those cups aren't as cool, they should still be included on this site.
Many people who have not seen the TT vids will look at DK and YV and not have known that was possible. BB, not many people have looked on the first page of this thread and seen the 2 player boost. it was theorized impossible in single player GP. Rainbow Road is worth the amazingness on its own. Nobody has seen anything like that done by one kart alone, nor seen any times that are about 1/3rd in total of what the TT sc flap is. As I stated, shock was THE major part about my GP run, both for what audiences wanted to see and why I wanted to make it. The whole point is that all the tricks for all 16 courses are all cool, and that now none of them are unknown. Unless something is discovered by myself, Fried or Weatherton, my run will offer nothing new shortcut wise.
Homepage ☣ Retired
comicalflop wrote:
self-pity
A-bloo-bloo-bloo. Shock value comes from being able to see every level done this way. Most people (like myself) haven't. Just because some of the tricks have been shown means nothing. In short: stop whining.
Perma-banned
Player (120)
I'm sorry that you feel so bad about this comicalflop, but I will reiterate what others have said: this only heightens my anticipation of your full run. Please keep going with our full support!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Former player
Yeah, I'm sure HotD's super metroid any% run stole all of JXQ's thunder and now JXQ is sobbing in his shack.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Xkeeper wrote:
comicalflop wrote:
self-pity
Stop misquoting me immediately. It shows you are being childish, when you were trying to show that I was originally; but it only proves that you are. I do not deny I have human emotions, but I have a pedagogue to display them in rational ways, and to make my arguments clear (which I did) not resort to name calling (I did not call anyone names) and to avoid easily flawed points. I have spent a long time typing to prove that I'm not. I recognize that "I quit TASing/the site" is something heard many times and that people don't take seriously, but it's not something that I say in a tantrum kind of way to get what I want, which is what others have done. I say it with seriousness. I am considering it, but not decided and would prefer if everything worked out ok. I would not be happy if I were to leave. This site has given me so much. I want to know people's opinions before I make a decision. These are all mature ways to approach such a claim.
Xkeeper wrote:
A-bloo-bloo-bloo. Shock value comes from being able to see every level done this way. Most people (like myself) haven't. Just because some of the tricks have been shown means nothing. In short: stop whining.
'every level done this way?' you want every course to be the same? I prefer variety, but maybe I have entertainment inclinations closer to what this site wants than you do. And also, you say 'shock value comes' as if you speak for everyone. I know topics upon topics of people being surprised by seeing work for the first time. It is a common human trait to be surprised by something the first time they see it. People are not goldfish.
laughing_gas wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure HotD's super metroid any% run stole all of JXQ's thunder and now JXQ is sobbing in his shack.
except that the difference between 100% vs. any% is different for this game compared to others. hotd's super metroid doesn't collect all items. it has different routes. JXQ had that nifty input animator, and had a level of precision hotd's almost had. This run, and the demos/other test runs posted show exactly what will be done in my run, except I'll be saving frames. Strat wise, you are NOT going to be seeing anything new unless something new is discovered. "any%" for this game is just playing 4 our of 16 courses exactly the same as I would. My run would obsolete this if finished; that is generally not a characteristic shared by other games with any%/100%.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Active player (422)
Highly enjoyable movie, good watch. As such, I am voting yes.
comicalflop wrote:
"don't make pride movies" is one of the submission rules.
Think about what you're complaining about. Your run is ruined. peole won't be surprised by your run. I get the sense you aren't recognizing the difference between a "pride run" and a run you are proud of.
I do. a pride run is a movie that you make for your own benefit, maybe something not to share with other people, or as a "nyah nyah, look what I can do compared to your movie!" or to show off their own skill, instead of entertaining the audience. yes, *my* run is deflated now. people won't be surprised by *my* run. but in this sense, *my* only refers to the fact that it belongs to me. I am proud *of* the movies that I make. But Stanki's statement that I should do it to make myself proud is not why I do them. Audience comes first, and this submission spoils it for my audience.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
Obvious no vote. Are the shortcuts the only thing you people care about? I thought optimization was an important part of TASing, and all 3 tracks except for YV are painfully unoptimized. YV isn't quite as bad as the others, but still obvious that it's unoptimized. The DK run can be improved by at least 2 seconds, maybe 3 or 4. The BB run is much sloppier than the non-TAS WR vids, so I won't even try to count how many seconds were lost, but it's a lot. RR, I'm not sure since I haven't tested that shortcut at all. If a certain idea I have works then a lot of time could be saved. If not then probably still a few seconds. I think it's still worth doing the 100% run. There are still plenty surprises left. We're likely to find a good shortcut in KB. Changes will be made to the KD strat. The non-shortcut part of TT will look very cool, possibly the coolest non-shortcut racing we've seen so far. Changes will be made to the CM strat. WS will be very cool for obvious reasons. RRa, warp glitch 3/3, or possibly other shortcuts. BC, there's a GP shortcut.
comicalflop wrote:
[...] 'every level done this way?' you want every course to be the same? I prefer variety, but maybe I have entertainment inclinations closer to what this site wants than you do.
"Done this way" as in "beaten in unexpected, fast, and generally non-intended ways". Like Megaman. Every level is beaten in the same genreal way: somehow do something the developers were really not counting on, end up bypassing a ton of it and suprising people, and then finishing.
Perma-banned
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
EDIT: This made me think it's sad an all-cups run would also have to end so anticlimactically. Out of 4 races, 3 of them are essentially "drive around in circles at the start to win", and the most impressive trick was on the race that didn't let you do that. I can't decide what outweighs what here (short and surprising and impressive + repetitive and low on action and apparently low technical quality). I think there's better to be had from this game in an all-cups run, but SNES SMK still beats it.
Michael Fried wrote:
Obvious no vote. Are the shortcuts the only thing you people care about? I thought optimization was an important part of TASing, and all 3 tracks except for YV are painfully unoptimized. YV isn't quite as bad as the others, but still obvious that it's unoptimized. The DK run can be improved by at least 2 seconds, maybe 3 or 4. The BB run is much sloppier than the non-TAS WR vids, so I won't even try to count how many seconds were lost, but it's a lot. RR, I'm not sure since I haven't tested that shortcut at all. If a certain idea I have works then a lot of time could be saved. If not then probably still a few seconds. I think it's still worth doing the 100% run. There are still plenty surprises left. We're likely to find a good shortcut in KB. Changes will be made to the KD strat. The non-shortcut part of TT will look very cool, possibly the coolest non-shortcut racing we've seen so far. Changes will be made to the CM strat. WS will be very cool for obvious reasons. RRa, warp glitch 3/3, or possibly other shortcuts. BC, there's a GP shortcut.
This was something I did not touch in my first post, but yes the run is frames/seconds improveable. However, that does not give me a major motivation to do my run; as I've stated, MK64 is slow progress to get perfect, and why bother doing a full run which will take me forever when just to increase the precision.
Xkeeper wrote:
comicalflop wrote:
[...] 'every level done this way?' you want every course to be the same? I prefer variety, but maybe I have entertainment inclinations closer to what this site wants than you do.
"Done this way" as in "beaten in unexpected, fast, and generally non-intended ways". Like Megaman. Every level is beaten in the same genreal way: somehow do something the developers were really not counting on, end up bypassing a ton of it and suprising people, and then finishing.
Take the shoe out of your ear so you can actually start listening. Stop misquoting me. I have every right to state my opinion, and counter yours. "blabbity blah" is an immature way of ending an argument in your favor by saying I'm taking too much. Quite frankly, I have a lot to say tonight, and am fully justified to so so. Megaman is so different. Guess what? the game has been run plenty of times, that at this point improvements on the runs for that game are to save frames or when a short new discovery is made. This game is very new; we're not at the "only needs frame improvements", but more at introducing many awesome shortcuts and components that I wanted my run to demonstrate, which it now can't.
nitsuja wrote:
This made me think it's sad an all-cups run would also have to end so anticlimactically. Out of 4 races, 3 of them are essentially "drive around in circles at the start to win", and the most impressive trick was on the race that didn't let you do that. I can't decide what outweighs what here (short and impressive + repetitive and low on action) but the bad things seem to be beyond the author's control given his goals.
2 out of the 4 courses are drive in circles. In my opinion, special cup is not the most ideal for any%, even though BB and RRd are great watches, the first two courses detracts from that a little. The other cups have only 1 course (excluding mushroom) that has only *1* lap glitch anti-climactic shortcut. Because this is only 4 courses, and 2 of those are anti-climactic, further shows that a full run of all 16 courses in one go shows all of the courses at their best, even the 4 anti-climactic ones, in a very smooth flow that leaves audiences with plenty of variation would have been the ideal first submission for this game.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Seeing those shortcuts is truly insane, but I most enjoyed BB where some "real driving skills" are shown. The other three tracks "only" have repetitive shortcuts. Saying this, I'm really looking forward to the full run (which is not ruined at all by this). PS: Yes
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
comicalflop wrote:
2 out of the 4 courses are drive in circles.
I would say Rainbow Road counts as well, being a slight variation on the same trick used in the first two races.
comicalflop wrote:
... further shows that a full run of all 16 courses in one go shows all of the courses at their best, even the 4 anti-climactic ones, in a very smooth flow that leaves audiences with plenty of variation ...
If you're looking for a reason to continue, there it is.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
comicalflop wrote:
I do. a pride run is a movie that you make for your own benefit, maybe something not to share with other people, or as a "nyah nyah, look what I can do compared to your movie!" or to show off their own skill, instead of entertaining the audience.
This is incorrect. A pride movie is a movie which is done for the purpose of gaining glory from the community, rather than for the purpose of having fun, and/or being innovative. Think for a moment on whether this means your MK64 thing is a pride run. If it does, then stop the run, and do something for your own entertainment, instead of to gain recognition. If it does not, then you will finish this run and submit it.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
nitsuja wrote:
I would say Rainbow Road counts as well, being a slight variation on the same trick used in the first two races.
Hm, this is true. Although to be sure, it hadn't been seen before, especially not in any TT or demonstration vid, and is not just "drive a certain route through some polygons/over fences" but makes incredibly clever use of items to accomplish this goal, which was ordinarily thought only possible with another player/CPU. However, I know for sure that people were wondering just how short Rainbow Road would be, and despite the method would be most curious about the final time for all 3 laps, given how long the course is even using the TT spiral shortcut.
upthorn wrote:
This is incorrect. A pride movie is a movie which is done for the purpose of gaining glory from the community, rather than for the purpose of having fun, and/or being innovative. Think for a moment on whether this means your MK64 thing is a pride run. If it does, then stop the run, and do something for your own entertainment, instead of to gain recognition. If it does not, then you will finish this run and submit it.
Does this automatically mean that anytime you post a WIP, and someone says "oooh I love it!" that it automatically becomes a pride movie? In fact, even if not posting wips, but submitting, and it's accepted by the community and published, is that the run gaining attention from the community and thus pride based?
Homepage ☣ Retired
Active player (277)
Not really, not necessarily. Now you're just stretching the definition into a generalization. Maybe the community recognition is a nice byproduct and a motivator, but should it be the sole motivator? If you're considering quitting, then that shows that your sole motivation is being Mister "I'm showing off all the tricks first!"
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
1 2
5 6