Splatterhouse 2 is a splatter-themed beat 'em up/action game featuring a skull masked guy fighting against undead creatures to save a girl.

Tricks

Slide speed trick. Sliding is the fastest way to move. To maintain the speed, first slide, then release all directional buttons and jump exactly when the slide ends. If you touch the ground for more than 1 frame or press left/right, the speed is lost. Rather common trick in games (Genesis Batman, NES Yo! Noid), but not obvious since people are tricked by the assumption that pressing right is a good thing.
Screen edge swap trick. In the end of one autoscroller level (around 12:10), a small cutscene (about 5 seconds) is skipped by sliding to the left when the screen is scrolling to the right. I assume the player position goes too much to the left and overflows to the right (where the level end trigger is located). The timing needs to be precise for the slide to work.
Stop animation trick. Pressing B (attack) rapidly causes the animation to get stuck on it's current state. So, even though the slide itself can't be made continuous, the slide animation can be prolonged. This was useful in boss battles since slide delivers 2 points of damage (as fists and kicks do 1). Normally it is not possible to slide on some of the bosses because they are floating in the air, but with this trick it's possible to do a jump with the slide sprite. Interestingly, the first form of the final boss is not designed for a 2-point hit, so the game can't handle it. That's why I need to kick it instead of slide-jumping on it.

Movie attributes

• Plays at hardest level (less health, different ending text)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programmin errors in the game
  • Takes damage to save time (once) and for fun
  • Genre: Action

Thanks to Jackic for the previous movie #46: Jackic's Genesis Splatter House 2 in 16:02.12 and mmbossman for watching the wip.
Anything can be hex-edited at any time, so look closely for mistakes and feel free to give better ideas for waiting time maneuvers. Oh, and don't let the chainsaw scene confuse you, it's a kind of a puzzle game.

Truncated: Accepted on account of good votes.

adelikat: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1534: Aqfaq's Genesis Splatterhouse 2 in 14:15.50
Active player (435)
The movie seems technically well done except for the few times you take seemingly pointless damage. I think there was 3 or 4 occasions where you took damage but I couldn't see a reason for it. I can't say the game itself was all that entertaining to watch. The game seems to lack variation. For the couple times where you were forced to stand on an elevator and just fight on a non-moving platform, these parts were also a bit dull due partly to that you would kill the enemy almost instantly when it would spawn. Reserving Judgement, but leaning towards a Meh.
I'm sciencing as fast as I can ! ______________________________________ <adelikat> once more balls enter the picture, everything gets a lot more entertraining <adelikat> mmmmm yummy penises
Experienced player (612)
A very nice run with a bunch of entertaining tidbits along the way. I remember this game being too difficult but I really liked what you did with it . Thanks for an entertaining run in which I enjoyed thoroughly. Yes vote.
I was gonna suggest a similar screenshot. That sucker punch was brutal.
The first five levels were dry as bones- slide to the right, kill everything- but the rest balances out to a meh. It looked like not much attention was given to making the movie interesting beyond simply beating the game. The pacifist bit with the flying heads was a nice touch, but only lasted a few seconds. That might have been due to shoddy hitboxing or some other game limitation, but either way, I have to vote meh.
Experienced player (822)
After watching both this and the WIP, I'm glad you went back and changed up some things in the autoscrollers, they had some extra flair compared to what you had before. I think the later levels are definitely the better part of this movie, and I almost laughed out loud in class when you started turning the back towards the viewer so it looked like you were taking a leak. That was funny. One thing I wish I had brought up before when I watched the WIP was that I didn't like the random hit taking. I know they're all at the end of the stages, so it's intentional, but it still looks kinda sloppy. Unless taking damage actually speeds things up by allowing you to stay closer to the edge (which may be the case in a couple of the stages), that's a major problem for me. Again, I wish I'd brought it up before in the other thread. I meant to, I swear:( Overall it wasn't super exciting, but it was more enjoyable to watch for me than some of the other published movies. However I need to hold off my vote until I find out whether taking damage actually saves time, because that is what stands out for me as bad in this movie. And I feel really bad I didn't bring it up before you submitted too. EDIT: Decided the damage taking doesn't make enough of a difference to vote meh. Voted yes.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Reviewer, Active player (277)
It was very good near the beginning when the slide trick was novel, then it got a little bit dull toward the center then became good again at the end of the run. I think you took damage too much in this run, personally. I liked it at the first boss, and the two toward the end. If I were you, I'd take out the damage you take in the elevator and/or the damage during the baby fight, and the elevator damage should be considired first. I do like the pose fighting in the elevator, though. oh, and yes vote.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Maybe I'll remove some of the taken damage. It is supposed to create variation and a funny pose during waiting times (except the tentacle boss fight where it saves time). I'll wait for more ideas before redoing anything.
Senior Moderator
Alright, this run deserves a hundred yes votes from me, it's hilariously hilarious! No, seriously, it's so silly that it almost rivals Altered Beast in its silliness. I absolutely loved every aspect of this game, from moronic sound effects to ridiculous animation. The main character is made of pure gold as well (not to mention that he evidently suffers from acute haemorrhoids). Oh, and Jennifer with her… everything, including the incredibly high-pitched noise she emits when she sees the main character. Oh man… I adored the autoscrolling sections whose main theme was "they voluntarily drop onto my fist and stumble upon my foot". I laughed at the elevators until I choked. The bosses are as funny as they can be. The boat scene in the end was worth a million (thank you!). I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this run.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1670)
Voting hell yes here. Murderous rage!
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
One thing I wonder. Can the lag at the beginning of Stage 5 be reduced/eliminated? There isn't much, but if you pay attention you'll see it.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Player (215)
A mildly entertaining movie with some funny highlights, like the pose where it looks like the guy is taking a leak. It looks like you used that pose to suggest some other things too...
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
This had some laugh-out-loud (commonly abbreviated as LOL) parts to it. I was entertained. Subprogrammer: Big & Black
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
I'm glad that people enjoy the movie. I had lots of fun doing it.
Sir VG wrote:
Can the lag at the beginning of Stage 5 be reduced/eliminated?
Not eliminated completely, but I could imagine some future player reducing it a bit. I tried killing some of the enemies, but it caused too much delay. Overall, lag was the hardest part in the game. By the way, there's a funny bug in the game that was not included in the movie. If you autofire B with the gun (at stage 5), the ammo value reduces very fast and the animation is stuck so that the game can't force the player to drop the empty weapon. This causes the ammo to continue vanishing all the way to the negative values. Unfortunately, no interesting overflows occurred.
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Game looks cool and the run was nice. That lag did seem unavoidable. Voting yes and its a good thing theres a parental advisory because pissing on that chick was just nasty.
Active player (432)
My God.. This was an incredible run. It contained so much goofy and silliness that I dont know how to express my opinions :) Aqfaq, you certainly know how to entertain us. I mean, here is Kung Fu Jason Voorhees, touching his enemies who turn into a green pile of shite.. Priceless! Give this run a star for its goofiness :) Easy yes vote. Keep them coming Aqfaq.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
I'd like to give a yes vote for such an interesting and well played movie.The author is a very humorous guy.But... it's a little unpolite to piss in front of a lady,although she is the wife -_-!
Just Run
Everyone wrote:
piss
Tone down your imagination, there's no piss in the movie! He's just asking if the girl is ok and the girl says she's hungry, so the guy gives her a piece of the boss tentacle.
Nice justification of your immature behavior, Aqfaq. Anyways I found this run entertaining and even funny at times. The way you slid through this game like it was nothing was quite entertaining. BTW, there is no chance I can get those glitches to work for a speed run, is there? If you're wondering, I tried for about 5 minutes.
mikwuyma wrote:
BTW, there is no chance I can get those glitches to work for a speed run, is there?
The speed trick is impossible to maintain in real time since you would need reflexes of 1 frame. The animation stop trick works with autofire.
kay
Very funny speedrun. Voting yes, of course.
Former player
I'm at a crossroads as to whether I should vote Meh or No. The run was really boring, as there wasn't a whole lot to it in the first place, and your tricks/glitches only made it slightly interesting after the fact. I think that this is generally a boring game, and I don't think that that can be helped. Speed aside, I'm going to vote Meh on this. You get an A for effort, though.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [876] Genesis Splatterhouse 2 by Aqfaq in 14:15.50
I own all 3 of the Splatterhouse games (TG16 and Genesis) and it's great to know that there are still fans of the series out there :) Voted yes!!