• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
Video Plugin: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 Sound Plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6 Input Plugin: TAS Input Plugin 0.6 RSP: RSP emulation Plugin
Together, AKA and Swordless Link worked in an attempt to beat Super Mario 64 in the lowest possible time, through several new opimisations as well as an entirely new route for one part of the game. They managed to finish the game in a mere time of 15 minutes and 8 seconds.
The new route saved about 6 seconds. It consists of avoiding Bob-omb Battlefield completely, and instead getting a third star from Hazy Maze Cave and Lethal Lava Land. The stars we chose were "Swimming Beast in the Cavern" for HMC (AKA's idea) and "Hot Foot it into the Volcano" for LLL (Swordless Link's idea). These stars seemed to be the fastest alternatives to BoB.
The never-before seen optimisations in this run contributed greatly to reaching the improved time. The optimisations may seem to be little things, like a dive in place of a long jump, or a cleverly executed wall kick, but overall they saved the rest of the time that wasn't saved through the new route.

AKA's comments

When I first saw the currently published run, I thought the movie was near perfect and could only be improved by 1 or 2 seconds, I had no interest in doing another run, mainly becuase it would visually look very simalar. However, when I saw a unique glitch in HMC being performed, I suddenly thought it might possible to grab the star and sure enough, with brief testing, it was, and it also worked out to be faster than the current slowest star. I was making minor improvements until by chance I stumbled across Swordlesss Link's WIP, which showed quite a lot of neat stategies I wasn't aware of. It had many improvements I didn't think were possible, although there were some bits where I was faster or I thought could be improved a little further, I proposed to him that we should work on it together and we also had a complete rethink on the all the strategies and lines of thinking at pratically every part in the game, some of the new strategies saved a very surprising amount of time. It was also shrewdly calculated that another star over the Chain Chomp star was faster to obtain when all the time diversions were calculated. In terms of work put in, it was near enough 50/50, a lot of time the person whose playing changes 6-7 times in a very short period of time, so no one was assigned specific sections to do. It should also be strongly noted that the real re-record rate is significantly higher than whats stated my estimate is probally over double what's stated.

Swordless Link's comments

I had been working on a TAS of this game in secret, and one day contacted AKA for help with editing a m64 for another run. It was at this time that he informed me that he had also been working in secret on a new SM64 TAS. We decided to show each other what we had so far, and discovered that there were parts where he had done better than I had, and parts where I had done better than he had. Granted, neither of us were that far into the game, but we decided at that point that the best solution would be to co-author the run, so that's exactly what we did. AKA suggested going to HMC for a third star, instead of the Island star in BoB. I then suggested getting a third star from LLL to eliminate any need for BoB, and AKA timed this to find that it was considerably quicker than the old route. Most of the time saved over the previous run, however, comes from our optimisations, and little things we discovered along the way. For example, I found that you could grab the third Bowser while he was in the air, which saved a reasonable amount of frames. Although this altered his final position, which placed us not quite under the star, the amount of frames gained by it outweighed the few frames lost by it. Another new strat we used was when backwards long jumping on the 50 star door stairs, I came up with the idea of long jumping onto them first. AKA then came up with the idea of getting Mario inside the next set of stairs to save time. Both of these combined saved a lot of time in that part of the game. We achieved a time of 15:08, after hoping initially to beat the current run by around 3 seconds.

People we want to thank

Mukki - For discovering the glitch we used in HMC.
Rikku - For your previous runs which served as a fantastic guide for most of this run.

DeHackEd: AVI under way

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
holy smokes, congratulations, guys, this is incredible.
Former player
Wow, I never thought it could still be improved. Voting yes.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
What I loved the most is that this run had everything that an improvement to the 16 star should. -very noticeable optimizations. -new routes -new styles of play -excellent entertainment during waiting periods -superb camera work -great new strategies and ideas -Never skipped a beat. many previously fast paced levels were made even faster. There is no question that this gets a yes vote from me. Even if it gets obsoleted later on, I will still consider this one to be a major benchmark, for accomplishing every trait that I listed above, which is what I always expect a SM64 TAS to achieve. Fantastic job, the both of you.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
You already know my vote. Yes for a stunningly fast run. SL: congratulations for your first TASVids submission.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Wow, awesome. Very entertaining run, easy yes vote. Nice improvement :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Wow. No idea this was in the pipes. nice. Edit: Yes vote, obviously.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Experienced player (822)
I like the new route, but I ESPECIALLY love the new bowser 3 fight, that was incredible!
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Active player (466)
I loved the last two bowser levels, it was amazing to see Mario move that fast and bounce around like he'd had to much coffee :) The graphical glitches in the last bowser level were funny, too. I was a little disappointed that the new route prevents all the glitches in Bob-omb Battlefield, but the Hazy Maze Cave glitch (almost) made up for it. Yes vote from me. I wonder if we'll ever get sub 1:15...
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
I saw it and I still don't believe it. That's a comment I don't give very often. Nice.
Very nice job guys. And...I thought the SM64 wars were over. Who knows what Rikku/you guys/someone else will come up with for the next submission? A yes vote, and give it a star please.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
One question: was any attempt made to optimize/utilize Rikku's alternate path for Lil' penguin lost?
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
mmbossman wrote:
I like the new route, but I ESPECIALLY love the new bowser 3 fight, that was incredible!
DK64_MASTER wrote:
give it a star
I agree soo much! Amazing how good this is getting. Big YES here. Nice work :)
Player (104)
I suppose at this point I don't really have to say anything or even add my yes but it appears I'm going to anyway doesn't it. :P Great job on the run, looks really smooth. crazy lag cures. ;)
Soft Blue Dragon
I feel great happiness when watching this movie. I vote yes.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2142)
Stop scaring me like that :O. Awesome run! Give it a 17th (18th actually...) star, yeeeaah!
Star is no guarentee... the 16 star run had one at some point, but the current version doesnt. IMO, its very deserving.
Tafatt wrote:
I feel great happiness when watching this movie. I vote yes.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Good work you two.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Congratulations. I didn't see this one coming. Too bad you couldn't break 15 minute limit.
Senior Moderator
What I didn't like: - camera work on "Li'l penguin lost" course and sideview cameras on Bowser stages (esp. Dark World and Fire Sea, but not the fights themselves). What I did like: - inclusion of double lavafall jump; - everything else. Waiting for a sub-15 run now. Oh, almost forgot:
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Seeing this run just made me feel all good inside ^_^. Most energetic mario ever, Yes vote.
Nice! Just watched this and was entertained throughout, except for some of the slower stars like Hazy Maze Cave. Though the first one there was surprising. :) Definite yes vote. Oh, and I'm not sure about that camera while you fell down the mountain either, it seems to clip through a bit of the floor?
Voted NO for NO reason
Emulator Coder, Former player
wow guys, just WOW!!! yes vote, star vote ... <insert>
Former player
Congratulation. That was somewhat INSANE. Really COOL. YES vote of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do i need to say it? YES! YES! YES! and put a star on it as well