FCEU 0.98.16.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Good ending of first quest
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Platform
This movie is my 9th attempt at Ghosts 'n Goblins. It is 15.083 seconds (905 frames) faster than the first quest of GuanoBowl's movie.

Level 1 - "The wise and courageour knight"

• 31 frames faster, mostly at the boss.
  • Picked up the torch, because it's needed on level 2.

Level 2 - "A trap devisut by Satan"

• 162 frames faster.
  • Took the low route instead of high at the Ice Palace.
  • Sneaked into the house by using the torch on the big guy who's guarding the first ladder.
  • The bird at the top of the house is semi-manipulatable.
  • Manipulated all of the lifts.
  • This innocent-looking boss battle caused me to go temporarily insane. I took a long break from playing because of it.

Level 3 - "You feel strongth welling. In your body."

• 204 frames faster.
  • The cavern part is slightly faster because of the torch.
  • At blue mountain, some shots might look like they miss, but they don't.
  • Saved a lot of time by manipulating the boss to move in a different pattern.

Level 4 - "Make rapid progres!"

• 9 frames faster.
  • Slightly improved the moving-platform part and the boss battle.
  • Absurdly easy level.

Level 5 - "This room is an illusion"

• 150 frames faster.
  • New route.
  • This level is all about the moving platform that the knight has to get on. It's semi-manipulatable. There is no point to getting there as fast as possible if he has to wait a long time for the platform. So, note that the minor slowdown at second ladder does not lose time; it ultimately saves time.

Level 6 - "Go ahead dauntlessly!"

• 309 frames faster.
  • As you might guess from the previous sentence, I'm very happy about the improvements on this level.
  • New route.
  • Unlike the level 2 double-boss nightmare, this one was fun, because I kept finding ways to improve it.

Level 7 - "Congraturation"

• NOTE: If the knight doesn't have the cross/shield weapon at this point, he can't enter the throne room.
  • 40 frames faster.
  • Yes, 40 frames faster.

Guff

• Suggested screenshot frame: 22517.

Bisqwit: Accepting and processing for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1551: Arc's NES Ghosts 'n Goblins in 08:23.13
Ghosts 'n Goblins even manages to look sadistically hard when watching, making it look very impressive. Especially the double boss fights look great. I'm not a huge fan of the second quest, so it didn't really bother me that this movie doesn't complete it like Guano's movie does. In any case, finding 15 seconds worth of improvement in a movie which has had gazillion versions already is already impressive enough to yes this. Congraturation.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Senior Moderator
What Tombad said. The movie is of incredible quality and I'm voting yes. One question, though: that… goblin-thing you fight at 7600 and then just jump over, I assume it was done so that he wouldn't knock you off the ladder? Also, mad props for naming stages that way. Have strongth welling in your body, wise and courageour Arc. :D
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Wow. That is some pretty severe Engrish. Good improvement. Voted Yes.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Active player (432)
Nice run. Good thing you discovered the new shortcuts. Voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1402)
The guy can run equally fast with his armor, as without it :o
Player (80)
Hmm. The movie works fine, except that you don't get the last hit on the final boss. I'll assume that it wasn't intentional and vote yes.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
IdeaMagnate wrote:
Hmm. The movie works fine, except that you don't get the last hit on the final boss. I'll assume that it wasn't intentional and vote yes.
Hum? It finished fine for me and it showed the "blah blah illusion blah blah play again" screen.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
moozooh wrote:
What Tombad said. The movie is of incredible quality and I'm voting yes. One question, though: that… goblin-thing you fight at 7600 and then just jump over, I assume it was done so that he wouldn't knock you off the ladder?
Thanks. I killed the big guy mostly because it affects the bird that allows the knight to escape from the house.
Suprisingly, I enjoyed watching the more-often-than-not half naked man throw shields at his enemy. Yes vote here.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [853] NES Ghosts 'n Goblins by Arc in 08:23.13
anyone who can beat this game is a master!! great vid
ehh I'm really disappointed at the lack of second "round"... given that 1. the enemies behave differently and move faster, which would result in different TA-running strategy than Round 1, and 2. the real ending is at the conclusion of the second round, so I've always considered the second round to be the second half of the game, not a bonus round a la SMB1, LoZ, etc So as good a first round TAS as this is, it should NOT be considered in obsoleting the previous two-round TAS, but as either a second category or an incomplete TAS.
Senior Moderator
Don't forget that all the previous runs except GuanoBowl's completed only the first round, so if anything, it should have been the otherwise: the second quest movie shouldn't have obsoleted the first.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User
Great run, new tricks and shortcuts are cool, manipulation on the things you have to wait on saves tons of time, and boss fights look so much faster than any other version. This is a great run on a legendary game, very nice. I would still like to see the second quest because that just epitomizes this game. I’d also love to see this game beaten as many times as possible. The 4th time around is just crazy, I’ve never heard anyone beating the 5th time, even with a TAS it would still be very hard, I think at some point game will become impossible, this would be fun to see.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
Movie should not have tag Best Ending, unlike its predecessor.
Editor, Active player (296)
eternaljwh wrote:
Movie should not have tag Best Ending, unlike its predecessor.
Why?
Because Arthur doesn't really rescue the princess without going through the second round of levels- this victory merely an illusion. *briefly looks at the end of both movies* The other one has "congraturation / this story is happy end. thank you." and actually yields a game over screen after this sequence, rather than showing the go-back-to-level 1 that this does. There's even a subtitle in this movie (which would appear to be inserted by you) saying it is not the "real" (which I interpret as "best") ending.
The Subtitle wrote:
The game is completed here, but what happens here is that the game insists on completing it again from beginning, before it shows the real ending! Because the second round would be almost identical to the first round, it was not played.
The Publication's Text wrote:
Note: The previous movie ran through the game twice (after the first completion, the game does not show the real ending).
The tag was not present in the earlier runs similar to this (one time through levels) prior to Guano's which did go through the second, harder mode as well to get the best ending. I think that's all the lines of reasoning I can marshal for it.
Editor, Active player (296)
Thanks, fixed.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I unobsoleted this movie and sent it to the Vault tier. The Arcade version is preferred and has a (slightly) greater entertainment value (according to the voters and raters). However, this is a TAS record in its own right, and fits in with the Vault rules
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects