Metroid II - Return of Samus 100%
Although my old submission just got accepted, I finished a new version in time before it got published. Overall, not much has changed compared to last time (#1480: Alter's GB Metroid II - Return of Samus in 57:29.48), but some new techniques and optimizations amounted to an improvement of 7863 frames (roughly over 2 mins).
The major changes are:
  • Using the "Spider Throw". This allows for very fast horizontal movement while traveling left. The Spiderball is required to do this, but it can be used much more effectively in combination with the Springball, which leads to:
  • Getting the Springball early. I damage-boost up to where the Springball is before getting the High Jump Boots and stuff.
Minor improvents:
  • Using the mid-air unmorph jump more. This mainly speeds up climbing vertical shafts.
  • Better use of the morphball when falling. For it has a smaller hitbox than unmorphed Samus falling times can be reduced in some occasions.
  • Avoiding Metroid Explosions. When exiting a room on the right frame, the Metroid Explosion animation can be skipped. There are some Metroids though where this manipulation is too expensive, and others where I could not get it to work for unknown reasons.
  • Improved Metroid battles.
The main reason for doing this run was the Spider Throw, and I think in the end it turned out to be a good deal more entertaining than last time. I hope you'll enjoy it.
Once again Thanks to Cardboard & moozooh for a lot of support, Maximus for his TAS Movie Editor. This time, also to gocha for his incredibly useful VBA Memory Watcher, ventuz for helping me understand it ;), jimsfriend and everybody else staying at the Topic.

Truncated: Speedy-accepted because it is an improvement to an already accepted movie.

adelikat: Claimed for encoding

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1552: Alter's GB Metroid II - Return of Samus "100%" in 55:18.43
Senior Moderator
!!! Awesome, man! I'll watch it later today, but I'm already sure it's damn sweet.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1670)
Lol wtf at the second Zeta. There were some strategic and route choices which I doubt they were optimal, but no big deal. Oh my god poor Queen. Yes-vote. And you might want to fix that re-record count >_>
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Banned User, Former player
As long as this is published in psuedo-color I'm all for it.
Perma-banned
Tub
has been accepted already, but I'll vote anyway. Looked better than the first run except for the straightforward queen kill. But what won't we do for speed... edit: note to self, don't post at 3 am while being tired.
m00
Senior Moderator
It's a good improvement, and I was entertained, so it's a yes vote. HOWEVER! Apparently, it can still be improved by quite an amount of time (I'd estimate another half a minute in the least). Not everything was even as fast as in Cardboard's submitted run, let alone faster. We've thoroughly discussed your run with him today and came up with quite an amount of improvements/corrections, so if you are interested, I suppose we could share everything (though comparisons will take time, but you had to do them yourself, anyway).
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
I'm certainly interested in your ideas, but I'll first take a little break from Metroid II. I can't stand the thought of doing it again right now ;) Also, I'll fix the rerecord count later, completely forgot about that...
Xkeeper wrote:
For a video file? I second that. edit: Something like that.
Tub wrote:
... except for the straightforward queen kill. But what won't we do for speed...
I think the Queen fight is about the same as before, maybe you confuse that with Cardboard's?
Active player (277)
Hmm, is this any-percent or 100-percent? You really should remember to note that in every submission you make, not just the first one.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Hmm, is this any-percent or 100-percent? You really should remember to note that in every submission you make, not just the first one.
I'm sorry, you're right about that. This is a 100% run. Edit: Sorry for posting so much ^^ I just added up the actual rerecord count, which amounts to 7644 (a little more than half of what the last version had Oo ...). Can I edit the uploaded file, or how do I do that?
Active player (432)
Forgot to post last night. Im impressed you improved pretty fast your previous submission. And knowing this is around 2 minutes faster warrants a yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [865] GB Metroid II: Return of Samus "100%" by Alter in 55:18.43
Banned User, Former player
Alter wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
For a video file? I second that. edit: Something like that.
000000> <adelikat> fuck you Okay, so it wasn't published in color. I dare to ask why, especially when about 80%+ of the previous thread about this game agreed that it should be, and were even devising palettes for it?
Perma-banned
Active player (432)
I am also very curious why this was not encoded with colors.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
If you use colors, why not use filters as well? I think it's quite fine to publish the movies "as-is", or how the games were made. If you want to see it in colors, nothing is stopping you from watching the vbm. (Not to mention colors are subjective, and would generate whine anyway, since "it's not how it was intended").
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Senior Moderator
Tombad wrote:
I think it's quite fine to publish the movies "as-is", or how the games were made. If you want to see it in colors, nothing is stopping you from watching the vbm. (Not to mention colors are subjective, and would generate whine anyway, since "it's not how it was intended").
If you are the authenticity fan, note that GB movies aren't created with real gameboy colors. Since gameboys themselves were dot matrix-based, thy couldn't actually show even half the contrast of the B&W picture you're seeing in the video. Go to VBA settings, "Gameboy -> "Gameboy Colors". Looking good, eh? But that's how it was intended! Also, I dare you to look at how N64 encodes are created: 1, 2. Does it make them look like the actual game looked on the screen? I also would like you to remember that SGB player allows pseudo-colorization on the console itself. SDA gameboy encodes are also pseudo-colorized for that matter — because everyone knows that even 8 colors are less boring than a B&W picture.
Warp wrote:
moozooh wrote:
If you are the authenticity fan, note that GB movies aren't created with real gameboy colors. Since gameboys themselves were dot matrix-based, thy couldn't actually show even half the contrast of the B&W picture you're seeing in the video. Go to VBA settings, "Gameboy -> "Gameboy Colors". Looking good, eh? But that's how it was intended! Also, I dare you to look at how N64 encodes are created: 1, 2. Does it make them look like the actual game looked on the screen? I also would like you to remember that SGB player allows pseudo-colorization on the console itself. SDA gameboy encodes are also pseudo-colorized for that matter — because everyone knows that even 8 colors are less boring than a B&W picture.
If I was an authenticity fan, I wouldn't be watching movies made on emulators in the first place. I was merely speculating what the reasons behind this might be, personally I couldn't care less either way. Though if it *was* me deciding, I'd probably go for using filters since that's what I use on the emulators anyway. I was unaware of the console being able to do pseudo-colorization though.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Senior Moderator
Tombad wrote:
If I was an authenticity fan, I wouldn't be watching movies made on emulators in the first place. Though if it *was* me deciding, I'd probably go for using filters since that's what I use on the emulators anyway.
Yes, exactly. :) I see no point in making it look 100% authentic since most of the time they fail to do so anyway. Why not enhance the quality while we are at that? We are already doing it for certain consoles, why not for the other? I have read the encoder guidelines a lot of times, and have yet to see something related to the game image authenticity there. Quite the contrary, I mostly see the concerns with image quality and pleasantness. If anything, that also helps discerning emulator recordings from unassisted play.
Warp wrote:
Haha, wow! People arguing about using image filters back in 2007! Archive collection Archive download