(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
An attempt to collect every Coinless-Cannonless-Capless star in Super Mario 64. At first, this run aimed for minimum possible completion time, but soon after the run began, many star times became obsoleted. It was possible to match every frame count in the latest 120 star TAS, but the run would look very similar to said TAS, so, like the first 120 star TAS, I decided to sacrifice a few frames here and there to make the run entertaining and different from previous runs. It can probably be improved by at least a minute, but hopefully that won't happen for a while.
Emulator: Mupen 64 ReRecording Edition 0.5.0
  • Video Plugin: Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
  • Input Plugin: N-Rage's Direct-Input8 1.60 and TAS Input Plugin
  • Sound Plugin: Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
  • RSP Plugin: RSP emulation Plugin
Abuses programming errors
Aims to complete all stars possible to get without:
  • Touching any coins
  • Using any caps
  • Entering any cannons
Thanks to:
  • Swordless_Link: for support from the beginning, and for actively participating in the run
  • Rikku: for actively participating in the run
  • nesrocks: for helping me come up with the idea of the CCC run and for support and planning
  • Mitjitsu: for showing me how to hex edit, which saved a lot of time
  • Brightguy: for the list of CCC stars, and for his invaluable site at www.sm64.com
  • Hb2: for discovering the latest CCC star
  • And thanks to everyone else who supported the run and watched the few WIPs I released, and gave feedback on them

adelikat: According to the JudgeGuidelines:
  • Keep the number of different branches per a game minimal.
  • Avoid doing decisions that undermine this guideline (or other guidelines) now or in the future. For example, don't publish an arbitrarily rule-restricted movie just because there are few of movies for that game
Both of these point to rejection of this movie. The main problem is that it doesn't stand out beyond the 2 currently published movies to warrant a 3rd branch of this game.
While "CCC" may be a common unassisted playing goal, it fails to be an impressive TAS goal. If anything, because the goal itself is doable unassisted. "Extra" (runs other than any%, low%, 100%, or perhaps pacifist?) of games tend to have goals that would be thought impossible or at least impossible by human standards to achieve. Such as SMW's small only run, Metroid's no mini-boss run, or Nightmare on Elm Street's 4 player run.
Sorry, but I am rejecting this submission.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
That is an incredible run. yes vote.
Active player (490)
Yes vote here.
Editor, Active player (466)
Highlights for me: -First Koopa the Quick race -Mario spinning on top of the pyramid -Chuck-ya glitch (it was awesome seeing Mario swim with "nothing" in his hands, then suddenly BLAM he's holding a block or some other item) -Bouncing around in TTC to avoid the red coins -BLJ in Rainbow Ride to get that far-off star I think the best parts of this TAS are the stars with strategies different than in the 120 star run. The places where you wasted a little time for entertainment were good, also. Unfortunately, most of the stars seem to be collected with about the same strategies as in the 120 star run. Perhaps if taken alone this TAS is very interesting, but I found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of stars simply because I had seen them before. I can't say that I was entertained all that much by this run because most of it is already done in the 120 star TAS. I'm giving this a "meh" vote. Edit: Maybe this could be published as a concept demo?
Editor, Active player (296)
These conditions used in the submission sound somewhat arbitrary to me. What next, a play that completes all stars that can be done without bringing a piranha plant, bobomb or goomba into camera's view?
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Bisqwit wrote:
These conditions used in the submission sound somewhat arbitrary to me. What next, a play that completes all stars that can be done without bringing a piranha plant, bobomb or goomba into camera's view?
It is simply THE most classic challenge in the supermario64 community.
Former player
Honestly, this seems like a downgraded version of the 120 star run. After having seen Rikku's latest work, I was pretty much able to watch this whole run at 3x speed, only stopping at places where I couldn't figure out how you could earn the star. Aside from seeing new routes in the Bowser stages, and that wicked Chuckya glitch in Wet Dry World, there was nothing that I was really interested in. It just seems like you put out this random restriction (are there any stars that really NEED the cannon, afterall?) and then made a good attempt at it. I hate to throw the term around some more, so I'll allude to it. CCC-less is a good concept, and I think you demonstrated it well enough, but I can't give this a Yes vote. Unless someone convinces me to vote Meh in the next 3 minutes, I'll probably be giving this a No vote. Also, why does the carpet ride always start off as "Mario is really entertaining" and quickly delve in to "I guess Mario assumes we have ADD"? e: Alright, FODA made a valid point that this run was done for hardcore SM64 gamers. That being said, this is not sm64.com. No vote. <Zurreco> they should make it CCCCless <Zurreco> no coins, caps, cannons, or crappy restrictions
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor, Active player (296)
FODA wrote:
It is simply THE most classic challenge in the supermario64 community.
Doesn't sound like a good reason enough to make a TAS, to me. It seems to be a sorts of initiation rite for a certain group of speedrunners. Why a TAS?
Player (147)
Does this run avoid carpets, cameras, and castles? If not, I'll vote no for the run as it did not meet its goals (CCCless). Better luck next time.
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Goals aside, this run looks very entertaining. There are some things I'm a little disappointed with. 1. Shortcut to the hot log star isn't taken. 2. BLJ on platforms in Bowser3 road not tried. No improvement? 3. Superficial, but I like dancing to the music. the Koopa the Quick had places where you could have mario noises to the beat. or movement. Who knows. I vote yes as a concept run.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Experienced player (822)
Ummm... WTF was that in wet dry world??? Oh, and yes, definitely.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Guys, this is mario 64 we're talking about. It can generate more interest than 40% of the games on the site, which are quite obscure. Do you really think this will get less views than dunno, GBC Deja Vu 1&2 or NES "Sypha path" Castlevania 3 (JPN) (examples picked for no particular reason)??? I think this game deserves more than 2 runs... I voted YES.
on the one hand, i dont understand the point of this on the other hand, super mario 64 runs are, as the above dude said, the most entertaining on this site
Player (147)
FODA wrote:
think this game deserves more than 2 runs...
70-stars
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
70 stars is way more "random" than CCCless, for many reasons already discussed on the mario 64 threads.
Editor, Active player (466)
FODA wrote:
Guys, this is mario 64 we're talking about. It can generate more interest than 40% of the games on the site, which are quite obscure. Do you really think this will get less views than dunno, GBC Deja Vu 1&2 or NES "Sypha path" Castlevania 3 (JPN) (examples picked for no particular reason)??? I think this game deserves more than 2 runs...
I really don't want to revive this old debate... but I have to disagree here. Are you saying that more runs should be accepted for Super Mario 64 just because it's more popular? You're probably right that this run would get more views than many others on this site. But does it really matter in the long run? Most of the tricks in this TAS can be seen in the 120 stars TAS. Don't get me wrong - I do think that this TAS is of high quality, but it seems a little unnecessary to publish this when we have other runs demonstrating the same tricks and routes.
Experienced player (611)
Wow, this run came out really well and much quicker than I thought it would. Looks like a lot of work went into the making of this run, I'm impressed. Like FODA said, it's a very popular title in which couldn't hurt by having another run such as this. It's a nice concept that I have no problem with so here's your yes vote and congratulations on finishing this run, it really is something.
This seems to fit with the other concept demos, like the Mario 1 movie where Mario doesn't jump. I would put it there.
RT-55J wrote:
FODA wrote:
think this game deserves more than 2 runs...
70-stars
I also have to disagree. There are two fundamental runs right now for this game: 1) Reach the end credits as quickly as possible. 2) Collect all 120 stars and reach the end credits as quickly as possible. Note that rule number 1 in the list doesn't state that 16 stars are collected. If a new glitch was discovered that allowed the end credits to be reached in less than 16 stars, a new run with less stars would obsolete the current 16-star run. I think most would agree with the above sentence. To me, a 70-star run is simply a rule number 1 TAS before the backward long-jumping glitch was discovered. Therefore, any 70-star run would simply be an obsolete version of the current 16-star run. That said, I think one could easily argue that the rules of this run are even more arbitrary than the 70-star run. I think that this should be published as a concept demo. Edit: After watching the TAS, I think it was the most entertaining TAS of Super Mario 64 I've seen so far. I know that at many times frames were traded for entertainment, but I also noticed many small frame-shaving techniques as well. Also, I thought the camera work was superb. Great job! I really hope this is published somewhere on this site.
Spacecow
He/Him
Speaking as someone who is not a hardcore Mario 64 enthusiast, I enjoyed watching the run. Yes, the concept is pretty arbitrary (again, to a casual observer), but hey, it's something new and different. There are enough differences between it and the 120 star run to warrant publication, in my book. Hell, it's worth publishing for that Chuckya glitch alone. I would also support the creation of a "concept demo"/"TAS labs" section of the site for movies like this or the MM3/4/5/6 quad run that is expressly for experimentation and entertainment instead of simply beating a game as fast as possible.
Former player
When I started watching this movie, I expected something new and novel. What I got was a short version of the 120-star run with 2 minutes of new and interesting material. This is definitely not different enough from the 120-star run to warrant publishing, I was just really bored most of the time.
Banned User, Former player
I don't suppose this can be hastily encoded to AVI so us non-64ers can view it? Preferrably before it's rejected on some stupid basis.
Perma-banned
Besides the obvious and already mentioned random and arbitrary goals, there is such a thing as tradeing frames for entertainment, but in this run, there are things that are just downright sloppy. The eyes on the hands have time to open in the SSL pyramid star, the lobby glitch is not used, but several other iterations of BLJ are. Not that all of this together made the run more than a minute or so slower then it could have been, but it makes it look sloppy as a whole. No entertainment is gained from making things of this sort slower then they have to be. No vote.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Voted yes, most entertaining Mario 64 run so far.
Spacecow wrote:
I would also support the creation of a "concept demo"/"TAS labs" section of the site for movies like this or the MM3/4/5/6 quad run that is expressly for experimentation and entertainment instead of simply beating a game as fast as possible.
This idea rocks my socks.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs