Submission Text Full Submission Page

1st Nesvideos Dream Team Contest Competition "Gaiden"

from 2006-01-06 to 2006-01-20 (2 weeks)
Contest organized by Brushy

Contest rules:

• The game to TAS is Super Mario Land 2 (GB) (rom Super Mario Land 2 - 6 golden coins (V1.0) (UE) [!].gb) (information revealed only on contest start day 2006-01-06)
  • Normal difficulty
  • Movie must obey the rules of this site. No cheats and debugging and so on.
  • Everybody in the team must participate in movie making by recording something.
  • No outside help is allowed (but common knowledge is usable).
  • Movie must be submitted to the contest on 2006-01-20 (2 weeks after the start).

Game Boy - Super Mario Land 2 TAS by RED TEAM RULES

RED TEAM RULES IS:
  • BagOfMagicFood
  • FODA
  • Randil
  • Shinryuu

The movie

• Abuses programming errors
  • No deaths
  • Manipulates luck
  • Aims for fastest completion
  • Takes damage to save time
emulator used: VBA-rerecording-17.1
NOTE: this is the very same video we submitted to the contest, not the planned improved version (which was never made).
This is the winning movie for the competition out of a total of 1 submitted movies (all teams). It's actually very precise and we think that it can't be improved by much, despite the apparently crazy routes.
Our team managed to work together very well, with FODA testing some routes and glitches, BagOfMagicFood doing research on tricks and optimizing the run, while Randil and Shinryuu experimented with the game's physics and did good optimization too. This was throughly a good experience although it was very time taking since we only had 2 weeks to do it!

The pipe glitch:

• Found at David Wonn's site, this glitch enabled us to cut several minutes of our first route test run (32 minutes long) when used correctly. We've found a lot of bricks with unusual behavior, some would lead to secret exits, some would do damage, some would give several coins per second while some would reset the game and some would even give illegal opcodes which automatically closes the rom! This was very tricky and we started the final version only a couple of days from the end of the contest because of all the experimenting with this glitch and finding better ways to use it. The glitch consists of getting in a pipe and exiting the level so that mario is still going down when he leaves. This way, when you enter another level, mario will still be going down for 1 frame, enough to push him inside the floor. For some reason, there are blocks below on most levels and they even work for boss levels.

The 100 enemies starman:

• This run kills 99 enemies before entering wario's castle to save a few frames on those ball bosses. We found that feature to be pretty neat :)

The "hit on a passing block rule":

• If mario jumps just past a block above his head, he is pushed forward 1 extra pixel.

The movement rule:

• Mario moves 1 pixel then 2 then 1 then 2 and so on while running.

The jump height rule:

• Mario's jump can be higher if the "A" button isn't held past a certain point (26 frames). If the "A" button is kept on hold for 1 extra frame, the jump height is shortened considerably.

The fall off a ledge rule:

• If mario is too fast, when he falls off a ledge he will do a little hop up and then start falling slowly. To avoid this, release "B" before the ledge to get low speed enough, so he falls at a considerably higher speed.

The horizontal speed while in the air rule:

• When in the air, if mario goes below a certain speed, he can't achieve max speed again unless he reaches ground to get running speed.

Bisqwit: Removing Shinryuu from the author list (his own request).

adelikat: Turns out that the pipe glitch can be used to this extend only by using exploiting a bug in emulation rather than a bug in the game itself. This is in violation of the Guidelines that state that the games must look like they were done on authentic hardware. As a result this submission must be rejected.
This may turn out to be a good thing since a correctly emulated version will use the glitch to a lesser extend which will probably make it more entertaining to the general audience.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Active player (435)
Was wondering if this would be submitted. Played so much while i was a kid. Too much pipe gliching takes away from the entertainment to some degree, but then again, mario is mario even if you change the way it looks...it's still gonna be the same =P . Either way, great job.
I'm sciencing as fast as I can ! ______________________________________ <adelikat> once more balls enter the picture, everything gets a lot more entertraining <adelikat> mmmmm yummy penises
Active player (410)
""IMO"", it takes more than 2 weeks to create a good movie...
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Phil wrote:
It takes more than 2 weeks to create a good movie...
what's wrong with this one? edit: ok, you didn't watch it. disregarding your precious opinion.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
This was boring. Voting no.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Skilled player (1085)
I've been waiting to see a movie of this game for a while. The pipe glitch almostgot boring, but not enough to stop a yes vote from me. Well done.
Former player
Phil, Only way to evaluate something like that is to look at number of hours spent, number of days doesn't say anything. A movie made in two weeks can be good (lots of hours if you work hard) and a movie made in 18 months can be very very bad. Etc.
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Active player (410)
FODA wrote:
edit: ok, you didn't watch it. disregarding your precious opinion.
When I see, done in 2 weeks. I doubt it is so good and I am not tempted to even watched it. Also, when the author even confirm it can be improved in the submission text, I feel enough patient to wait until an improved version. If the question would be "Do you think the movie should be publsihed?" I would have voted "No".
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Do you think all authors think their movies can't be improved? the answer is "NO". anyway, talk about the movie please, if it's a good movie to be published or not. the way the movie was made is NOT important.
Active player (410)
FODA wrote:
Do you think all authors think their movies can't be improved? the answer is "NO".
That's not what I meant. The question is that when you know where are those improvements and don't care about the final result and still submit it (After 1 year and 4 monthes), it's kinda insulting for this community. Unless you could explain where are they and why you feel it's not worthwhile to lose precious time for some 1-2 seconds, I don't see any reasons why it should be accepted.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
OK, here is what I remember: - It may be faster to not kill 100 enemies. But it's uncertain. - I think there was something about the door animation, but I have forgotten what was it. - the wario fight can be faster with better luck, but I don't think it can be manipulated when doing the last level fast enough.
Phil wrote:
FODA wrote:
edit: ok, you didn't watch it. disregarding your precious opinion.
When I see, done in 2 weeks. I doubt it is so good and I am not tempted to even watched it. Also, when the author even confirm it can be improved in the submission text, I feel enough patient to wait until an improved version. If the question would be "Do you think the movie should be publsihed?" I would have voted "No".
So let me get this straight, you're giving a run a straight off No for publishing, just because it was done in 2 weeks? Not even watching it? Thats really amazing how you feel confident enough to judge a movie done by great TASers without even watching it. Take a different angle. 2 weeks. 4 Players. One could argue that if only one player worked on it, it would take up to 4x longer. That would bring it up to 2 months or so. Does that sound enough to you?
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Active player (410)
That's not true that 4x times longer. They may had tested same things and thus losing some time.
Former player
Phil, "The important thing when measuring the amount of effort put into a movie (this assumes that this is a worthwhile thing to measure, which might be debatable) is number of work hours spent, not number of days spent." Agree / Disagree?
Experienced player (538)
Movie is not so entertaining but i like glitches and some stages. This is proparly one of the mario games i like to play sometimes
Phil wrote:
""IMO"", it takes more than 2 weeks to create a good movie...
Time is not a proplem. You can make a perfect TAS of Rockman2 in a one day if you can do screenscrollings in a one try or without getting any proplems. but im voting Meh because of the "boringness" of glitch(es)
Phil wrote:
That's not true that 4x times longer. They may had tested same things and thus losing some time.
I said UP TO 4x longer. Theres room for working on same sections together in that statement.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Active player (410)
Fabian wrote:
Phil, "The important thing when measuring the amount of effort put into a movie (this assumes that this is a worthwhile thing to measure, which might be debatable) is number of work hours spent, not number of days spent." Agree / Disagree?
I don't understand your question. Days, hours, weeks, they are all time units. From my personal experience, spending an average of 1 hour per/day, because that's all the free time for some normal guy because they spend the remaining ones doing some other things, is not sufficient to do a good movie of SML2 in 2 weeks even if they are 4 guys.
NesVideoAgent wrote:
This is an automatically posted message for discussing submission: #1580: BagOfMagicFood, FODA, Randil, Shinryuu's GB Super Mario Land 2 in 18:21.73
Shinryuu wrote:
Movie is not so entertaining but i like glitches and some stages. ... but im voting Meh because of the "boringness" of glitch(es)
I'm confused. Is it tolerated than an author vote on HIS OWN movie? Btw Shinryuu, do you like those glitches or not? Also, one of the authors doesn't like it so much... :s
Former player
Phil, If you work one hour a day on average, and Joe works 6 hours a day on average, after 5 days Joe will have worked 6 times more than you, even though you both have worked for "5 days". This is what I mean when I say that measuring in number of days (or weeks) is meaningless. Since I can't know how many hours you or Joe spend a day on average, it would be inaccurate to say "you both worked 5 days so you have put in the same amount of time/effort". This means that 2 weeks of very very hard work can be more time spent TASing than 6 months of occasional TASing.
Experienced player (538)
Phil If i remember right i did not anything to this movie my name should be removed
emu
Active player (380)
O_O Wow, even after reading, that it might be boring, I did not expect that. The glitch was cool and surprising at first, but skipped so many interesting levels. Still, it is executed very precisely and completes the game as fast as possible. I'd prefer to have two movie versions of this game, one with and one without major level skipping (possibly 100%), like Zelda Link to the Past or Umihara Kawase. I didn't vote yet, but it will most likely be a yes vote.
Banned User, Former player
* Xkeeper looks at submision name list I'll have to watch this later, but the thread comments aren't exactly... helping. (also: Rarely do I steal an emoticon to use here, but...) Upon actually watching the submission, big stinking "No" vote here. Watching you do the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, to beat the whole game gets old fast. So, no.
Perma-banned
Former player
I found this to be pretty boring, but not more so than any other repetitive run on the site. Voting No, and hoping that future runs won't use an otherwise novel glitch to such extents. Also, I've seen plenty of bad runs submitted after years of effort, so I don't see how someone can't assume that the converse (short time -> good run) can't be possible.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Like suggested on the super mario land 2 discussion thread on the gameboy forums, just use the 1.2 rom for skipping the pipe glitch. But the movie will be 7 minutes longer.
Active player (410)
Zurreco wrote:
Also, I've seen plenty of bad runs submitted after years of effort
Which ones?