This movie is 5780 frames (96.3 seconds) faster than the current published movie by myself, Vatchern.
<Vatchern> It started out as me trying to Improve my run by myself, but in the middle of stage 3, I asked Adelikat to join.
Most of the improvements came from the Boss fight on Stage 3 -> till the rest. The game is 6 stages long, and is one of (or the) hardest game for the NES system. The physics are not all that great.
In stage 6, we take a different route, that was offered by Foda when I submitted my first run of the game.
Enjoy :).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1586: Vatchern & adelikat's NES Holy Diver in 14:52.57
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Way to dominate such a hard game... I can see that it is so very well optmized, not to mention the new strategies. This was a very interesting watch! Thanks for making this, guys. Already voted yes.
Player (223)
Looks better than the previous version overall. Also good thing you took damage to save time this time. Voted yes.
<adelikat> I've been quoted with worse
Experienced player (612)
Great improvement to an interesting game. I enjoyed it so Yes vote.
Very nice game actually, I had skipped this previously. Somehow it feels like a crossbreed between contra and castlevania. Anyway, improvement on previous movie and still looking good, yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Active player (432)
A much better version. Nice solutions for various areas and good handling with lag. Voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Glad to see this one get improved. Would have voted 'YAY!' but 'yes' had to suffice.
Skilled player (1670)
Bring it on... but... what is heavy metal Jesus doing at around frame 41000-isch? I was amused.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [890] NES Holy Diver by Vatchern & adelikat in 14:52.57
great TAS!! this game is HARD, and yet it looks so easy!!
Ren
Nice missile dodging. Too bad the 'falling' scenes seem to be bugged, did they work properly in the actual cartridge version? Especially loved the stage names, bowels of hell, poisoned continent etc :P
Never thought I'd see a NES game that looks like it requires a TAS just to complete it. I could see lots of sudden traps and nasty surprises that would certianly kill an unsuspecting player. The amount of enemies was pretty nuts as well. Nice run for sure.
Player (84)
Udderdude wrote:
Never thought I'd see a NES game that looks like it requires a TAS just to complete it. I could see lots of sudden traps and nasty surprises that would certianly kill an unsuspecting player. The amount of enemies was pretty nuts as well. Nice run for sure.
Thanks!. But yeah, this game is brutal. The furthest I have gotten is level 4 boss, and the furthest that I have known that someone else has gotten to is level 6. Level 6 is nuts.
Skilled player (1402)
Udderdude wrote:
Never thought I'd see a NES game that looks like it requires a TAS just to complete it.
I assume you never watched Genisto's Arkanoid movie :)
Baxter wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
Never thought I'd see a NES game that looks like it requires a TAS just to complete it.
Yes, I've seen the Arkanoid movie. The difference is that he chooses to make the game harder in order to complete it faster. In Holy Diver, there's no choice .. it's always insanely hard!
Skilled player (1402)
Udderdude wrote:
Baxter wrote:
Udderdude wrote:
Yes, I've seen the Arkanoid movie. The difference is that he chooses to make the game harder in order to complete it faster. In Holy Diver, there's no choice .. it's always insanely hard!
Ok... then I assume you never played Arkanoid. :P It's true that picking up 3 balls with the restriction of not losing them would make it harder in real time... but then again, you couldn't even choose if you picked up the 3 ball powerup in real time. But besides the fact that it are 3 balls in the movie, you should have also noticed the immense speed. This combined with very slow movement of the paddle makes completing the game (without codes) pretty much impossible. I have serious doubt anyone has ever completed Arkanoid (US) without cheats (such as the code which lets you start at the level where you went game over, or the level skip code).
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Then Baxter has never played Holy Diver :P Really, this game is insanely hard. I have never heard of anyone beating the game unassisted. Holy Diver > Arkanoid, no question.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1402)
adelikat wrote:
Then Baxter has never played Holy Diver :P Really, this game is insanely hard. I have never heard of anyone beating the game unassisted. Holy Diver > Arkanoid, no question.
True that I never did. So I tried, and I reached level 3 pretty fast. No doubt that this game is extremely hard, but at least you can start over at the level each time you use a continue. You also seem to have inlimited continues. Both of these aren't present at Arkanoid (there are no continues at all, which enable to you restart at the level you went game over). If I'm at level 3, it means I completed 1/3 of the levels. This means that it's like beating 12 levels at Arkanoid. Vatchern said that he was at the end of level 4, which would be like beating 24 levels at Arkanoid. You may argue that the levels 5 and 6 of this game are the hardest, but I still stand by my point that even if this game has never been beaten unassisted... it might be possible, whereas Arkanoid is not even remotely possible.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Your analogy does not apply, because Holy Diver isn't known to be insanely hard up to the third level. It's insanely hard from the 4th level on, and the 6th level is simply impossible.
Player (84)
I don't understand why this movie is in the vault... lowest tier... :(
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Vatchern wrote:
I don't understand why this movie is in the vault... lowest tier... :(
Its entertainment rating value is less than impressive. For old runs, when the Vault tier was established, runs with an entertainment rating of 5.7 or lower were automatically put in the Vault. That's why this run is in the Vault.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
It's probably because sgrunt was trollin' and rated like every movie a 2 unless it was Mario XV or something
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
Ren wrote:
Nice missile dodging. Too bad the 'falling' scenes seem to be bugged, did they work properly in the actual cartridge version? Especially loved the stage names, bowels of hell, poisoned continent etc :P
The graphical glitches are all FCEU's fault (not fixed in FCEUX, last I checked). The movie syncs in Bizhawk, and shows correct graphics there.