An improved version of my old Contra - The Hard Corps movie. This version is 134 frames (~2.23s) faster putting the total length of the movie under 5 min! I originally started this planning to get a “real” ending, but after I got part way through I decided to redo the old run because I was saving so much time.
To do this run I used GENS9z_20070209.exe
For those interested, below is a rough breakdown of the frames saved:

• In level 1 I was able to get an extra 47 frames mainly by walking on the rotating platforms when they were positioned at an angle rather than riding them around. Apparently in this game when you are moving at an angle it increases your horizontal speed.
  • In level 2 I was able to save 49 frames by killing the spider with one less blue shot. Other minor improvements came from killing the air ship by letting the B weapon hit for a few extra frames before switching to the D weapon.
  • In level 3 I was able to shave around 28 frames by manipulating the direction the last motorcycle guy drives in, as well as killing the arm boss faster. The last motorcycle guy leaves the screen faster if he drives off to the left rather than the right because he accelerates more.
  • On the boss level I was able to get an extra 10 frames by using the same trick I did on the level 2 airship, as well as being more careful with my shots.
Once again, I achieve the best ending :)
Overall I am happy with this and I hope you enjoy

adelikat: Nice improvement. Claimed for encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Very cool. Superfluous yes vote. ...And I hope a "real ending" movie is forthcoming. :)
Experienced player (611)
Good improvement, I found it enjoyable so yes vote. hmm, A very identical post to that of the Holy Diver submission I commented on...
Senior Moderator
Nice improvement. But yeah, I'd rather see the longer movie improved, rather than a minor update to an already good one.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Can we get a copy of 9z back on the emulator's page? This movie is desyncing for me on 9f and 9.5b at the end of the 2nd boss.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Senior Moderator
Sir VG wrote:
Can we get a copy of 9z back on the emulator's page? This movie is desyncing for me on 9f and 9.5b at the end of the 2nd boss.
A temporary solution. I'll ask Upthorn to put the zip package back on his site for direct download if it's needed. But strangely, it didn't desync here on 9.5b.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
That worked (coupled with the fact that I had to unzip the ROM). OK, good run. Yes vote. :)
Active player (432)
Ash Williams, the infamous Contra fanatic ^_^ Congratulations on your sub 5 min run. Easy yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
Nice improvement. But yeah, I'd rather see the longer movie improved, rather than a minor update to an already good one.
Yes a full version movie will happen eventually, but before I do that I need to do a lot of testing. As awesome as the wolf is with his B-D weapon combo, I don't know if it is faster than the robot's C weapon in all situations (certain bosses). Bringing in player 2 as the robot and killing off player 1 might be necessary for the full movie, but I'm not 100% on that yet. I had no idea there was a new release of Gens, the next movie will use the updated version I'm Glad everyone liked the run so far. It was tough, but fun to make.
Active player (277)
I didn't even know there was a 20070209. I was still using 20061213. Where do you get all this stuff?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [906] Genesis Contra: Hard Corps "secret ending" by Ash Williams in 04:59.47
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Screenshot needs to be replaced, as it doesn't match the current movie (player only has 2 life at that point in the video).