My third version of this game. This time 474 frames, 7.9 seconds faster than my currently published movie.

Significant improvements

• 1 less turtle change in level 3 - I end level 2 with Raphael instead of Mike. This saves 1 less turtle change when dying in level 3. This saved 60ish frames. Thanks to Spider-Waffle for pointing that out.
  • better rope scene in level 4. I used a new strategy to skip the 2 ropes. It saved 60 frames, and looks much more polished.
  • better technodrome fight. I manipulated the technodrome to open its eye immediately and to last long enough for two hits. Also, I manipulated the up+down glitch so that the blinking pattern is in sync with the eye openings. This saved 4 more frames. All in all, it was 74 frames faster
  • Final corridor of lv 6. This is the loooong room with jetpack guys. I saved about 140 frames here. The result is also very nice looking in comparison.
  • New luck manipulation strategy. You will see me press select to select/deselect shurikens for seemingly no reason. This is to manipulate enemies, particularly boomerang guys. By doing this I make them not throw boomerangs, which prevents lag. Not sure how much was saved from this, but it is rather small. Maybe 20ish frames total.
The rest is from minor 2-10 frame improvements here and there.

Future improvements

• I picked up recording from the 2nd turtle change in lv2. Everything before is v2. There is one spot prior to this where I didn't get inside the wall upon downscrolling. This is a 4 frame error left into the movie. Oops. Also, it may only save 2 frames because it may mess with the timing of the black screen at the end of the level.
  • At one spot in level 4 I spend 4 frames manipulating shurikens. Later, I was able to get extra shurikens that I didn't plan on without losing time. So I didn't need to spend those frames. Though, even if I were to do a v4 with this hindsight, I might get them anyway. There is no guarantee of mainpulating shurikens without losing a few frames since the randomness will be different.
  • I found a spot in lv6 where my subpixel position was such that I could press left 2 frames after walking right to a ladder and get on the ladder 3 pixels futher into the wall. In this spot, I didn't need to get into the wall so it was useless. But perhaps there is a ladder where I do need to that I also have the same subpixel position. If so, I could save 2 frames.
  • Manipulating the "random" enemy sets. After extensive debugging of ram addresses, I found the variables that store and determine the enemy set. I use this to make sure that I have the best choice of enemies whenever it is possible to do so. This saves no time technically since v2 had that ideal set (by dumb luck mostly ;P). But it did mean that a 20 frame improvement in lv3 had to be removed in order to manipulate the "proper" enemy set in lv4.

Non-improvements that may be claimed as improvements

• Currents in lv2. Seaweed (either type) does not create "currents". There are some in the levels, but only in certain places. Only the one at the end is in such a a place as to be useful (and unavoidable anyway) in a TAS
  • The jump in the 2nd sewer of lv1. I jump and downstab to hit an enemy after the mini-boss. This is required. You can't hit him without jumping. Jump + regular stab and jump + downstab cost the same amount of time.
  • Killing of turtles to save animation time in the blimp cutscene after level 4. The cutscene time is fixed. If a turtle is dead, a pause will be put in his place.
  • Possibly a mega-shortcut in lv4 using the scrolling glitch. I posted in the TMNT thread showing how I skipped from room 2 to room 17 but got stuck in a hole in the ceiling. I revisited this glitch and used a cheat code to fall through the through the ceiling (becoming unstuck). To my surprise I couldn't scroll right to the door. This isn't actually room 17 it turns out but just some extra room layout in room 2. Perhaps put there intentionally to tease :P So even if I could get out of the ceiling, I would just be stuck in a the room. :(

Summary (same as v2)

• Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Take damage to save time
  • Death as a shortcut
  • Abuses programming errors
  • FCEU .16

Truncated: Accepted as an improvement to the current run.
Bisqwit: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1625: adelikat's NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 16:33.50
Skilled player (1670)
Hugeass mofo yes. Pardon my language.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Since you didn't go back to Stage 1, I'll ignore the aesthetically unpleasing damage at the beginning of Stage 1. Outside of that, run looks good. YES vote.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
That damage is on purpose. Don does more damage if he is under half health. So I get him to that state as quickly as possible.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Ok, as long as there's a reason then I can deal with it.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Active player (250)
I always like to see newer versions of classic games. This looks very tightly optimized! When you are under half health, does the bo staff and shuriken do the same damage, or does the shuriken do more? If it does more, it seems like the technodrome could be done in one less hit or something. Anyway, yes vote.
tossing the obligatory yes your way
Active player (432)
Did not expect this so soon. Super amazing work adelikat. The glitches reminds me a bit of Mega Man 1. Yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
emu
Active player (380)
voted no, splinter is not human, he is a mutated rat. Just kidding. Very impressive improvement with the right amount of glitches. Yes vote
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
You have my support.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
Former player
Haha, you made damage seem so insignificant. Voting yes.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Active player (277)
emu wrote:
voted no, splinter is not human, he is a mutated rat.
Why must there be so many different continuities :(
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: I have amusement.
This run made me laugh in certain places. With that and the various improvements, I gave it a yes vote.
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Why must there be so many different continuities :(
Now you know how some people in the Sonic community feel. >:O
Active player (277)
Dude, I've just been getting into Sonic communities recently. I had this silly idea the other day of somehow combining all the Sonic the Hedgehog continuities into one, but I don't think anyone wants to hear it.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
I voted a solid yes for this one ^^ It's just a pity that dying takes up so much time, or I'd have suggested killing off the other 2 turtles as well, so all you have is the 1 turtle going onto the blimp... oh who am I kidding, the time is prolly negligible a best... and slower at worst... Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Player (70)
Do I really need to express how great this run was? Awesome glitches abused and the rest is very well planned and executed. A big minus that April has a mullet in the ending scenes though, even though it's not your fault. He he. Cheers!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
It's just a pity that dying takes up so much time, or I'd have suggested killing off the other 2 turtles as well, so all you have is the 1 turtle going onto the blimp... oh who am I kidding, the time is prolly negligible a best... and slower at worst...
submission text wrote:
Non-improvements that will be claimed as improvements Killing of turtles to save animation time in the blimp cutscene after lv 4. The cutscene time is fixed. If a turtle is dead, a pause will be put in his place.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1402)
I really enjoyed this. Yes vote.
NesVideoAgent apparently finds watching a turtle climb a ladder entertaining and exciting.
Trying 127.0.0.1... telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
Experienced player (612)
I forgot to comment, my friend adelikat. I've got to say that this is just about it, the best (or near best with regards to some of your comments above). Still one of my favorite hard games to watch, all TASed and stuff. Yes vote, I admire your persistence.
adelikat wrote:
submission text wrote:
Non-improvements that will be claimed as improvements Killing of turtles to save animation time in the blimp cutscene after lv 4. The cutscene time is fixed. If a turtle is dead, a pause will be put in his place.
ACK! I can't believe I totally missed that when I was reading over everything.... my bad :( Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [917] NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by adelikat in 16:33.50
Is anyone else bothered by Shredder's hand sticking out of the TV as much as I am?
This signature is much better than its previous version.
Skilled player (1670)
It's a 3D-tv. I want one too :(
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!