This is a TAS of the NES game Heavy Shreddin'. It completes all 6 slopes and 18 events as fast as possible.
  • Movie Plays Back on: FCEUX 2.2.0
  • Emulator Used: FCEU_16 with default settings
  • Does not use warps, passwords, or cheats
  • Does not abuse any errors except for poor hitboxes
  • No hits taken or deaths suffered
  • Aims for fastest time

About the Game

Intro

Heavy Shreddin' is a relatively obscure game that requires you to snowboard down slopes and complete various evernts. The game is easy to TAS, but it is not as easy to play as it appears at first. If you want to try to match my time with real time play, go ahead. Even though the game is autoscrolling you can alter your speed in quite a few ways and help you complete the events as fast as possible.

Events

There are 5 different kinds of events. 4 appear 3 times and 1 appears 6 times.
  • Downhill: Race against the clock dodging trees, rocks, and water.
  • Slalom: Go through all the gates while dodging rocks and trees.
  • Halfpipe: Build momentum on the halfpipe, then do various tricks as you are prompted.
  • Moguls: Race against the clock dodging trees, rocks, and moguls.
  • Backwoods: Try to survive against a wide variety of obstacles.

Techniques

There are several different speed altering techniques that can be used. Sometimes you will need to slow down to avoid obstacles.
  • Tucking: pressing right causes the snowboarder to tuck (bend over), which gives him maximum speed. I try to stay tucked as much as possible.
  • Turning: while untucked, pressing up and down cause the snowboarder to turn sharply. I only turn on the Halfpipe events where it is required to build momentum.
  • Jumping: jumping is needed to dodge certain obstacles. You retain tucked speed while jumping, but you when you land you automatically untuck for a few frames which causes you to lose a bit of speed. Air time is set, so I don't overshoot jumps or anything-jumps are just always that long.
  • Ducking: similar to jumping, it is needed to dogde unique obstacles. You do not retain tucked speed while ducking, and it also automatically untucks you for some frames. Duck time is also set.
  • Moving side to side: while tucked, you move side to side instead of turning. You lose some speed as you move, but you need to move around some obstacles. Sometimes it is faster to jump over something rather than move around it.
  • 360 Spin: a trick performed while jumping. I often do it for fun, but it is required on the Halfpipes.
  • Mule Kick: a trick that can rebalance you if you hit a log or mogul. I don't hit logs or moguls as it slows you down, but I do the trick for fun sometimes. It is also required on the Halfpipes.
  • Toe Grab: a trick that extends your jump length. Unlike the other tricks, I need it to get over some chasms. I also do it for fun and it is needed on two of the Halfpipes.
  • Handplant: unlinke the other tricks, this one stops you completley so I don't use it for fun. One is required on the last Halfpipe.

Possible Questions

I will try to preempt some questions you might have about the TAS.
  • Q) Some tricks slow you down, so why do them?
  • A) A couple of tricks appear to slow me down. At this point I'm not 100% sure if they do. I do them just for fun and to make the TAS a bit more interesting, but if people want me to make a faster TAS (by a few frames, mind you) by removing them, I will. Sometimes they don't slow me down at all, so I'm not sure if they ever do.
  • Q) It doesn't look like you're tucked at all times. What's up with that?
  • A) The board angle and snowboarder's stance change from time to time along with the invisible slope, but I can assure you I am not untucking. The only times I untuck are when it is automatically done: at the start of each slope, after jumping or ducking, and on the Halfpipe. You can immediately go into tucked position at the beginning of slopes or after jumping and ducking simply by holding right. After completing the Halfpipe requirements, you go down the rest of the event as fast as possible automatically.
  • Q) Why don't you tuck immediately on the Halfpipe?
  • A) Everything that happens during Halfpipe events from the beginning of the slope up until when the snowboarder first turns upwards is automatic and cannot be affected by input.
  • Q) Why do you turn blue?
  • A) If you are hit by the snow machine you turn blue until the end of the event. This is purely visual and does not affect speed.

Future Version?

This is actually the second version of the TAS. In the first version I had a huge mistake where I took 7 ramps on Halfpipe 3 to get the trick prompts and I slowed down considerably to avoid an obstacle on Backwoods 6. Both of these mistakes are corrected in this version. The only possible way to improve would be to remove the gratuitous tricks. This may save a few frames, but I'm not sure if it actually slows you down or not yet. Other than that, it's pretty frame perfect
SURVIVAL REQUIRED

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

adelikat: Rejected due to poor game choice. See discussion thread for details.

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1632: TGPrimus's NES Heavy Shreddin' in 17:34.95
I'm sorry... but this was NOT entertaining in the least.. coulda warned you about that if I knew you were going to do this. It's extremely limited, insanely repetitive and VERY boring... I mean I hit the speed button for the majority of it due to sheer boredom. And the LEVELS! I mean, wtf?! Most of them look so poorly built and put together... even I could've made something that looked more entertaining then "Let's repeat this jump another time and let it go on for a long stretch and add some more random trees." The ONLY part that entertained me? The damned Caribou roaming about. Sorry... :( It's not you... it's this horrid game.. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin[/u]
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Yeah I agree that the game isn't great and the video is pretty boring even to me but I was hoping it would mean something to somebody. If it doesn't get accepted no big deal it only took me a day to do, that's how simple this game is. On the other hand I optimized it really well =D
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
:) My Jurassic Park 3 run took around a week to do, and I believe it is perfectly frame-optimal, but that didn't help. The game was too boring. Pick an exciting game next time, or maybe try to obsolete a decent published run.
Some boring movies, at least in my opinion, still get published. I guess some movies are more impressive to people than others
You are right, there are some movie that I found boring, and that were publish, but times changes, what was very hot last year isn't now. But the question is just a preference from the watcher. I would suggest you that you show a WIP before doing a full run of a game, to see if it's acceptable. There's also a thread that list the wishlist, you should take a look at those and maybe take a game in that ;) I hope that this won't discourage you to continue TASing.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
TGPrimus wrote:
Some boring movies, at least in my opinion, still get published. I guess some movies are more impressive to people than others
http://tasvideos.org/Moozooh/MostPopularExcuses.html "Quoting adelikat (indirectly), having made a mistake in the past doesn't justify making a similar mistake in the present. Granted that movies cannot be unpublished (at least at the moment of writing this paragraph), having a worse run published doesn't mean a judge should accept sub-par movies." Also, there is a difference between a boring game and a boring TAS. Many games that people claim as boring have interesting TAS aspects, such as a suprising glitch, insane movements, counter-intuitive strategies that lead to faster results, or just general complexity in terms of optimization. This game has none of those. I believe you when you say it is optimal because I don't see it being very difficult to do so. The optimal solution is rather obvious. Also, the game lacks any kind of variety. As a result, this game is a bad choice for TASing. Barring any kind of "Excitebike Phenomena", this game seems doomed with respect to publication.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2183] NES Heavy Shreddin' by Explosion Pills in 17:34.95
Post subject: Re: Movie published
adelikat wrote:
Barring any kind of "Excitebike Phenomena", this game seems doomed with respect to publication.
TASVideoAgent wrote:
This movie has been published.
heh, what a difference 5 years makes :)
Editor, Player (53)
I didn't knew that there was a run of this game. I remember a friend lending me the game long time ago. It wasn't that good, but kind of reminded me of Ski Free for the old Windows 95, so I liked playing it (though the only similarity is that they are skying in both games...) I'll watch it later :)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!