Submission Text Full Submission Page

Features

• Aims for fastest time to obtain 999999 points and Game Over
  • Manipulates luck.

Description

This is a 399 frame (6.65s) improvement to the existing Tetris run submitted by Acmlm. Emulator used was FCEU 0.98.13 with the rom Tetris (U) [}}!].nes. Input ends at the earliest posible frame when further input cannot prevent game over.
The time saved can be attributed to several factors. A large improvement is the starting platform which requires two less pieces to build, saving around 70 frames. Another thing I tried very hard to improve upon was the hieght of the stacked pieces. Most of the time it was hard to save any time, because Acmlm had done a very good job, but there were a few notable gains. Other than time saving improvements, this run does not use pause to manipulate the pieces, but rather left+right+down to delay the next piece, as discovered by alden. Doing this causes the current piece and next piece to flash, but this is far less distracting. I also found a small window for manipulation after the current piece has landed, but before the next piece appears. This causes only the next piece to flash, which is even less disruptive. This form of manipulation is also faster than using pause, because it only delays the next piece by one frame, instead of a minimum of three as pausing does.
When the run ends, the entire board is clear except for a single line of pieces up the middle. Not only is this the fastest possibility (not a single piece was wasted), but it also looks rather nice.

Thanks

Thanks goes to Acmlm and nico for their previous runs, and to alden for discovering the new manipulation tactic.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1634: primorial_soup's NES Tetris in 03:35.25
Former player
Is it pure coincidence that two tetris runs come out on the same day?
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Former player
Very nice run, fast paced and well played. Short enough to not bore me. Yes vote.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
emu
Active player (380)
excellent yes vote for this tetris conspiracy
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
This explains why progress is so slow on the Pokémon run. jk Good improvement (though not nearly as much as Baxter's to that other Tetris video), yes vote.
Editor, Active player (466)
Excellent improvement to an already good movie. A few interesting points about this movie: -I noticed you used music 3 :) -Once or twice, a block landed so that it was partially above the screen top, and that part of the block was absent when it appeared lower on the playing field (interesting glitch/oversight) -I like how you managed to keep the music going at 2x speed for most of the movie (the previous movie kept switching between 1x and 2x speed because of the changing block levels) -Ending with no blocks left on the side was a very nice touch, it must have required a lot of planning. Also, after making my own tetris run, I've come to appreciate the amount of work and planning necessary. This gets a yes vote from me.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Chef Stef wrote:
-Once or twice, a block landed so that it was partially above the screen top, and that part of the block was absent when it appeared lower on the playing field (interesting glitch/oversight)
Dr. Mario also has the same method of "disposing" part of the piece by sending it out the top of the screen (except the bottle opening in the middle, of course).
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Sir VG wrote:
Chef Stef wrote:
-Once or twice, a block landed so that it was partially above the screen top, and that part of the block was absent when it appeared lower on the playing field (interesting glitch/oversight)
Dr. Mario also has the same method of "disposing" part of the piece by sending it out the top of the screen (except the bottle opening in the middle, of course).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the intended behavior. Yes vote.
Yes for sure. Nice improvment, well thought out.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
I eat your blocks for breakfast.
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
I thought someone said that using the "LDR" glitch takes away the holding down bonus
Former player
So what?
Player (120)
I thought someone said that using the "LUR" glitch takes away the holding down bonus
It's negligible compared to the score for a tetris... both movies clear 164 lines (41 tetrises), so the bonus points would just be "overflow" :) Great job primo!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Skilled player (1402)
alden wrote:
I thought someone said that using the "LUR" glitch takes away the holding down bonus
It's negligible compared to the score for a tetris... both movies clear 164 lines (41 tetrises), so the bonus points would just be "overflow" :) Great job primo!
Wrong... you need 399 bonus points.
Player (120)
Oops, guess I should have said "any *more* bonus points would be overflow" :P The movie wouldn't be any faster if you still got bonus points when doing LDR, right? So are you going to take on the A game next Baxter?
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Experienced player (611)
alden wrote:
So are you going to take on the A game next Baxter?
I'd ask the same thing if this run didn't already look damn good. Nice job on keeping it relatively seamless primorial#soup.
alden wrote:
both movies clear 164 lines (41 tetrises)Great job primo!
would the plural of tetris be tetrii?
Player (120)
To go completely off topic, I believe it should be Tetres, like crisis to crises :P
Titus Kwok wrote:
would the plural of tetris be tetrii?
the only words I know of that are "-ii" in plural, are "-ius" in singular.
Player (87)
P.JBoy wrote:
I thought someone said that using the "LDR" glitch takes away the holding down bonus
It would, but I don't ever use LDR while the pieces are falling (with exception to one piece at the very end, where I needed a larger manipulation window). Instead, I use it after the current piece has already landed, which causes it not to flash, as written in the movie description. Also, holding down as the piece lands often (read: usually) causes the next piece to appear one frame earlier. So in general, it should always be done, unless for purposes of manipulation.
print reduce(lambda x,p:p/2*x/p+2*10**1000,range(6643,1,-2))