• Uses fceu 0.98.16
  • Genre: Adventure/Platform
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Plays all levels
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck. A whole lot of it
This run obsoletes Walker Boh's full run. It is around 92 seconds faster.
Short level guide
Level 1: Not much to say here. Avoiding gem 101 takes more time than to pick it up and make the game count it down.
Level 2: An okay level with almost no luck manipulation. As for the boss, not killing bats before the door appears makes fewer bats attack Kuros.
Level 3: It is possible to get the Pink Potion from the second candle, and that way make it last longer, but, it's only possible to get a 1-gem from the first candle, so that would be a lost gem. Thanks to Bablo for the wall glitch.
Level 4: The only level where I restore Kuros' HP to make the boss battle faster... Also, at around frame 19950-isch, I use the Potion Of Levitation for seemingly no reason, but not using it makes Kuros enter another Bonus Room (Which never was an option, since it was a room with very few gems).
Level 5: A luck manipulation mayhem. Getting all the spiders in the right place and then getting gems from them was just as horrible as I just made it sound. Ugh. Getting the Red Key looks ugly, but it was the only way to get the last 2 gems I needed :/ Also I get knocked down by the boss to make myself invulnerable for a longer time, since it is triggered later than if I would have gotten a beating in the jump.
Level 6: Alot of jumping, and some abuse of the block-glitch. Other than that, not much to say here either. Getting the Bonus Room rather than the chest in the end was like, 100 frames faster. The ham at around frame 30100 is impossible to avoid.
Level 7: Another unavoidable ham. Skipping the hidden air-gems saves around 5 seconds.
Level 8: Wow this level defines luck manipulation.
A few bugs and glitches I use (Or avoid)
  • Instant falling: By using the Potion Of Levitation for 1 frame and then pressing down on the next frame, Kuros reaches maximum falling speed instantly.
  • Double Gem: If Kuros, or his dagger, picks up 2 gems on the same frame, only one is counted for. This happens in level 4.
  • Double Gem II: In bonus room, picking up gems with the dagger gives 2 gems. Using Kuros' body only one.
  • Almost impossible to hit: If the player presses Select 3 frames before Kuros lowers his foot after using the Force Boots, Kuros immediately kicks, making him almost impossible to hit. For some reason, this does not always work though.
  • I CAN'T ATTACK???: If Kuros is attacked by a boss, he can't hit back for at least 50 frames (After he's stopped being pink, and is about 1/3 through his blinking animation). This of course, sucks, but sometimes damage at a boss is a must.
I will write more glitches and bugs when I have the time, and remembers them.
Items
Temporary Items
  • Gems: Kuros need to bribe a red knight at the end of each level. To do that, the player must collect a certain amount of gems (50, 100 or 200).
  • Ham: Restores a few blocks of HP.
  • Pink Potion: Makes Kuros jump a lot higher, therefore allowing me to skip Potion Of Levitation, and more importantly, keep horizontal moving speed while doing a high jump.
  • Blue Potion: Makes Kuros fast. Very fast. Would have been insanely useful if it weren't for the fact that this game contains too many jumps. (There is a Red Potion as well, which makes Kuros somewhat invulnerable (Not against bosses, of course), but it is never used in the run)
  • Eggs: The smart bomb of this game.
  • Coins: Bonus Points. Nothing more.
  • Small Daggers: Makes Kuros' dagger go farther, I think.
Permanent Items
  • Dagger of Throwing: Kuros' special weapon, a boomerang dagger, always returning to his magnetic armor (Yep, that's the trick).
  • Force Boots (Or is it Boots of Force?): Allows Kuros to kick enemies (While kicking, he's temporarily invulnerable) for massive damage and force open treasure chests.
  • Potion Of Levitation: Allows Kuros to hover a few pixels up in the air, and therefore reach new levels.

I need to thank a lot of people.
  • Rick for watching ALL of my WIPs, commenting, giving me advices and saving me several several seconds by finding new, crazy routes. Many thanks
  • Bablo for the wonderful wall-glitch
  • Bisqwit for constantly watching WIPs
  • phunqsauce for proof reading the WIP-links.
  • Randil for support and semi-actively watching WIPs
  • JXQ for support
  • Truncated for support
  • adelikat for asking me for progress and support
  • moozooh for support
  • Lag.Com for... uh... being english
  • Raiscan for... being english as well. And support
  • Walker Boh. Your old run was crazy all the way through and helped me a lot, especially the boss fights
Suggested screenshot, frame 24720:

Bisqwit: Having watched the WIPs, I know what this looks like and the audience feedback suggests it hasn't changed since my last viewing -- hence, accepting, and taking for encoding.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1636: Cardboard's NES Wizards & Warriors in 12:14.93
Former player
Sorry again for totally blowing my end of actually playing this with you. In the end, I don't think I could've ever pulled off the amount of awesomeness you've done in this run, even with whatever intellect I provided. You have my yes vote all the way. Good job man! -EDIT- *Points and laughs at Randil* =p
Skilled player (1885)
Since I got a sneak-preview on this run via MSN, I'll toss the first yes-vote. This was a pretty fun run, and it looks very optimized. Very nice use of the dagger, and the new route and wall-zipping trick was nice too. Good job. :) EDIT: Crap, Rick was faster. :P Allright, make that the second yes vote. :)
Morrison
He/Him
Former player
GEMS GEMS GEMS Good to see a new run of this game, especially with the vast improvements. I kind of wish I had enough time to do a new Ironsword run.
twitch.tv/Retrogaming2084
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
If by "support", you mean "wondering aloud why you were still TASing this game if you hated it so much", then no problem :) You played music with the input <3
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3594)
*slaps a yes vote into the pile* W&W is a much more pleasant experience without sound. Get a gem = jingle, go though a door = jingle, aaaaaahhhh! The gameplay is magnificent though.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
Looks good. I just have one question: The boss where you fight the skeleton that gradually gets bigger - why didn't you defeat him close to the door so you didn't have to walk as far?
Love the game, love the run! I don't understand the Gems, but overall it was a masterpiece TAS.
Shingen
He/Him
The reason behind collecting the gems? There's this red knight at the end of every level. The instruction manual says you can fight him to leave*, but it's easier to just gather gems to bribe him. *I've spent HOURS trying to beat that knight, and it just doesn't seem to get you anywhere. /yesvote btw
Former player
You have to collect a certain amount of gems to pass each level. okaygo.
Rick wrote:
You have to collect a certain amount of gems to pass each level. okaygo.
Ahah, and going over 100 makes it countdown at the end... okay I understand.
Skilled player (1670)
Ouzo wrote:
Looks good. I just have one question: The boss where you fight the skeleton that gradually gets bigger - why didn't you defeat him close to the door so you didn't have to walk as far?
Nay.The golden way to defeat him is to glitch Kuros slightly out of the screen to the left, otherwise the flea/skeleton hits you several times. Idling far to the left was almost 4 seconds faster.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Looks good but I don't understand what the potions do...
adelikat wrote:
W&W is a much more pleasant experience without sound. Get a gem = jingle, go though a door = jingle, aaaaaahhhh!
The jingles are annoying but I think the actual music is all really good... especially the introduction and ending theme. This movie was a pleasure to watch. It's been a while since I'd played this game... I forgot it was another excellent property that Rare is responsible for.
Skilled player (1670)
KDR_11k wrote:
Looks good but I don't understand what the potions do...
The pink ones make Kuros jump higher, and the blue ones make him run faster. I should add this to the submission text >_>
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Experienced player (612)
This run was actually hilarious, man. I enjoyed the previous movie and this one is no exception. Nothing but fun all around so here's a complimentary yes vote. Great work.
Active player (432)
Hehe I liked the animation of this game. Like when it seems to be better to kick a boss rather than using your sword. Also, I was very surprised to see that you went through a wall. Solid yes vote, good job as always.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [929] NES Wizards & Warriors "all levels" by Cardboard in 12:14.93
Apparently the Boots of Force are also mightier than the sword... wow. great vid!
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
I noticed this movie has no Movie End text. Is this a habit of the particular encoder, does FCEU not record "movie end" in the AVI, or is this some new tasvideos policy?
Editor, Active player (296)
Chamale wrote:
I noticed this movie has no Movie End text. Is this a habit of the particular encoder, does FCEU not record "movie end" in the AVI, or is this some new tasvideos policy?
I prefer to have it, some other encoders prefer not to, but in this case, I encoded it and the text did not appear. I'm not sure why. Yes, the name was input by me -- it wasn't part of the movie.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3594)
Chamale wrote:
Bisqwit is the encoder in this case. There is no requirement to have the "movie end" message, though it is nice to have on movies that end input really early (monopoly, gradius, etc). FCEU for windows does not record the movie end message Bisqwit is a linux guy and can certainly put it in if he likes (and usually does). Either it was a personal preference at the time or just an oversight.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Sorry it took this long to comment but following the WIPs and watching this masterpiece come together was a real treat. Congratulations on getting this done quickly despite some of the extra hard luck manipulation and this game's "hostility" towards hex editing. :) i love how you kill the last piece of Malkil with the dagger while running towards the exit. Most impressive all around Cardboard (and rick for his route planning)! P.S. I'm glad I was able to contribute, although it was small contribution.
I like stuff...
yea, the small daggers the enemies leave behind DOES increase maximum distance for your dagger, also holding down your sword button for longer as well determines its distance too. if you get the axe and upgrade it with i think 2 (maybe 3) small axes, you get to shoot two axes at a time. i'll check this out A.S.A.P ----- edit: very very nice, i loved it :-D
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Great game with some awsome NES era original music.
Has never colored a dinosaur.