• Abuses programming errors

Configurations:
  • Battle Mode: Wait
  • Battle Speed: 4
  • Message Speed: 1
  • Commad Set: Short
  • Gauge: Off
  • Cursor: Memory
The Battle Mode set to wait is because with the Battle Speed set at 4 doesn't give you much time, even with frame advance.
The Battle Mode set to 4 is because is the fastest you can go w/o making the enemies to fast for you (i.e. The Wingrapter could defend before I get my 3rd time with Faris to attack...).
Message Speed at 1 shows the text the fastest.
Command Set to Short allows me to chose any of the 4 commands in 1 frame, instead of sometimes 2.
The Gauge bar is removed because IMO looks better that way & might save lag.
The Cursor set on Memory really saves time when you are choosing something, like an item or magic.

Boss Strategies: Here I'll mention what & why did I manipulate in each boss fight.
  • Wing Raptor: I just couldn't get him to use his Fight command, that would had save some time. BTW, I equip Galuf with the BroadSword I just got, to deal more damage & be able to kill him before he gets the chance to defende. (I wasn't that familiar with luck manipulation yet)
  • Karlabos: Tailscrew is faster than Fight, though he only can make it on his 2nd move. So I got his fastest attack animations. Still not very familiar with luck manipulation, so I have to use the Thief's Steal command... (this repeats several times over the curse...)
  • Siren: Mute was the best option out of her 3 possible attacks on the 1st round. Cure is faster, so I use Faris to attack to manipulate her. Butz attacking w/o using Goblin Puch was faster than with it.
  • Magissa: She starts with magic attacks, so I can barely survive her attack, that's why I need to heal. Don't remember if Fire was faster than lightning, though. I attack breaking an Ice Rod I found earlier.
  • Galura: Whenever I attack him, he counters. However, using the whip I got from Magissa, I can paralize him.
  • Liquid Flame: Fight is Faster than Flame. Then, since he always counters with Flame, it can't be helped. So I let Faris and Galuf die & use the Pot instead of items to revive them & replenish of MP too.
  • Iron Claw: I have to kill someone becuase I need to learn Lv5 Doom and the boss does give me Experience. So I choose Butz, since he'll be damaged with Death Claw anyways.
  • Ifrit: Flame is the only attack that didn't killed someone, so I have to get that.
  • Byblos: He's the only boss in which I can get a Pre-entive attack, so he doesn't even get the chance to attack.
  • Sandworm: The holes that also appear will counter with Demi. For who knows what reason, I don't get counter once, which is good, but might be able to exploit it if I knew the reason...
  • Cray Claw: Again, Tailscrew is faster than Fight. Also, I had to break the rod with Galuf since Lenna & Butz where short in damage.
  • Adamantoise: Since I can survive his Attack, I let him hit me once. And yes, he attacks twice the first time.
  • Soul Cannon: He doesn't get the chance to attack.
  • Archeoavis: For those that don't know, he has 5 forms. The 1st 4 have 1600 HP but the damage won't be carried from one to the next.
  • Manticore: Same, I can survive his attack, so no need to evade.
  • Titan: Lenna will die anyway, so I let Titan hit her.
  • Purobolos: Gil Toss kill them all at the same time, so no one revives. In the patched run I learned here the Blue Magic Explosion, but I don't need it now.
  • Abductor: I could had used Explotion here, but learning it was really slow... So instead, I make him to use Hurricane & then I kill myself. This is faster than trying to kill him with the current level...
  • Gilgamesh (Dungeon): A missile takes him before he can even attack.
  • Gilgamesh (Bridge): His Jump attack can't be evaded, so someone has to die.
  • Tyrannosaur: I can withstand his attack.
  • Abductor: Same as above.
  • Dragon Pod: I don't allow him to attack.
  • Gilgamesh (Ship): I think this time being attacked was faster than evading...
  • Atomos: Even if it doesn't look like, I manage to avoid his attack 3 times by making him doing nothing. That's why it looks like it takes lot more time to begin the fight.
  • Crystals: Their attacks where as fast as blocking them, so no need to manipulate it.
  • Exdeath (Great Tree): Galufs dies with a Fenix Down because he's wearing the Bone Mail. Exdeath doesn't even get a chance to attack him.
  • Exdeath: Can't take damage & Condemn is slower, so I avoid his attack. (Well, actually I think they could be revived once I stay at Tycoon Castle, but this way looks more impressive.
  • Antlion: I think his Sonic Wave gets evaded by the Aegis Shield, but not sure. Well, at least it's faster than taking damage.
  • Gargoyle: As usual, evaded the attacks with the Elf's Cloak.
  • Mummy: Same as above.
  • Melusine: I manipulate Merugene to do nothing, that's why she stands still.
  • Calofisteri: Out of her 3 commands, Old was the fastest & was kind of funny as I also use Old on her.
  • Apanda: He counters each time he gets hit (although he can also do nothing). Since he uses Toad, I manipulate it to hit Faris, since she can't equip a Ribbon for Halicarnass' battle.
  • Catastrophe: My thiefs where faster than him, so I don't even allow him to attack once.
  • Halicarnassus: She starts with Kurururu, so that's why I equiped some Ribbons & made Faris a frog. Also, with only 3% of success with Old, I could only manipulate it the way is shown on the movie.
  • Twintania: I let Lenna die as he later uses Atomic Ray to kill the other 2 members.
  • Exdeath: I make him do nothing. Also, I have to rely on the same luck manipulation as with Hali (attemping to run away), DarkShock only had 1% of hitting.
  • Neo Exdeath: Since I use the Mix "Kiss of Blessing", Exdeath can't transform into Neo Exdeath.
Note: Names where taken from the GBA version.

FAQ: I've decided to mention some of the most frequent question I could be asked.
  • Why is the run only around 13 minutes faster than the SDA run?
    • That's because in the SNES version you can't run as fast as in the PS. You have to walk a lot, so it's where I lose some time compared to the other run.
  • Why do you decided to run accross the lava & not over the flowers at the North Mountain?
    • This is because crossing either will make me lose a frame per square. At the Mountain, I can't get healed of Poison, so I must avoid it, but on Exdeath's Castle, changing into a Elementalist is slower.
  • What is faster, evading or taking damage?
    • Evading using the Elf's Cloak is faster than evading using a shield (and easier to manipulate too). Taking damage is around the same as evading with the Elf's Cloak, though it varies sometimes.
  • Do you really buy something at Karnak Town?
    • Yes, in fact I buy 1 Ice Rod at half price.
  • How can you use Ice 3/Lightning 3 so early and not using a Black Mage?
    • This is because I break some Rods & they have that effect.
  • What do you do in that battle against a robot that looks just like Omega
    • I fight against a Prototype. I perform the Infinite Item Glitch to get lots of money quickly.
  • Is this the same thing against that Zombie Dragon?
    • Yes, though this time I steal a rare item.

Improvements/Blunders:
Despite trying to avoid any mistake, I still had some minor errors that should be taken into account if someone decides to obsolete this run.
  • Even better luck manipulation to reduce "lag" (Use shortest commands always to manipulate luck).
  • Avoid winning dropped items that aren't needed.
  • With better luck manipulation, it's possible to make Wing Raptor attack with Fight instead of Breath Wing.
  • Fighting a (Killer Bee x2 + Goblin) might be faster than fighting (White Snake + Black Goblin) & (Goblin), since I ended up not using the items at the beginner's house as I think I would. Though you would need to trigger the battle quick.need to get the fight quick...
  • Moving the cursor fast (as shown in the M-i-a-B fight with a Goblin) might look good, but it creates lag. So it should be avoided, unless you manipulate luck that way.
  • After I receive the ship, I equip Learning to both Lenna & Galuf. I wasn't that good with luck manipulation, so I just increased the chances.
  • If someone knows why 1 hole didn't countered with Demi, this could be used to avoid more counters...
  • At the Quicksand Desert, with luck manipulation with enemies group encounters, I could avoid the detour I made to fight against those Sand Bears. If it isn't possible to get them quick, then Probably breaking a rod or two on Gigamesh(Bridge) battle would be possible.
  • Buying less items, maybe. I would think it's faster if your inventory is reduced, though I'm not sure.
  • When fighting the Rocket Launchers, learning Missile should be skipped. You can use Gill Toss to dispatch Gilgamesh with Galuf.
  • With a better luck manipulation, it's barely possible to avoid letting Archeoavis attack even once. However, it highly depends on how fast is your team.
  • I overlooked the fact that Lenna wasn't in the Team when I fought the Gargoyles, so only Butz could use Mix. At least I found a way to deal with it.

Thanks to:
  • Boko: She started the idea of having a run for this game. Her topic made me join this forum.
  • /*-: He decided to take serious Boko's thread & gathered all the strategies into 1 post. This helped finishing the strategies for latter bosses.
  • Maza: He's working on making some subtitles for the movie. Also, we discussed stuff about the run & often he checked my advances.
  • bmgenji: Posted some strategies on Boko's thread.
  • GameFAQs FAQ authors: The Algorithm FAQ was incredible helpful. My LLG FAQ helped before I joined the site too.
  • SDA page: It helped other people with some ideas before I came.
  • RPGclassics page: Their maps where really helpful. Also, their ABP Monster List was useful to plan the route taken.
  • Snes9x's cheat searching & watch features: I could find some helpful addresses like the Enemy's HP, Lv & Attack Gauge.
  • RPGe's Patch: Since I know zero Japanese, this patch was really helpful to quickly check if I had the correct equipment & items instead of using memory addresses.
  • Ebmid (from GameFAQs): Save me the trouble to test if the Ancient Sword had the same % when it uses Old as just using the Time spell.
  • SilverLance(From CavesofNarshe): He explained me how does stealing works, and explained me about the random fights.
  • Anyone I forgot who helped on Boko's thread.
  • & everyone else that kept interest on this run, thanks.

adelikat: Congrats on having your first submission accepted for publication.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1649: samurai goroh's SNES Final Fantasy V in 3:34:41.07
juef
He/Him
Player (131)
Holy balls, I didn't think so much could be skipped from that game! I almost chocked on my sandwich when I realised you were going for ExDeath with less than 300HP...!!! Although it got a little repetitive at the end, there were so many 'lol moments' and owned bosses that I have to vote yes, not to mention that the running time of this run WTF'ed me when I first read it. Also, I found the use of jobs to be very impressive and entertaining. I must admit there were some strategies I didn't quite understand, but that was to be expected considering I can't read japanese; I'm not complaining though, I understand that fan translations are no-no's.
Editor, Player (53)
Thanks for your comments juef :) If you haven't noticed, there's a link at the end that explains the strats used (although I would need to change a few descriptions, since I not always followed it :P If anyone think I should detail more about the run, just mention it. Like why is only like 13 minutes less than the SDA run... (*Goes to add it)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
Editor, Active player (296)
Looking forward to having the time to watch this :)
Experienced player (612)
Outstanding! Came out really well done. Albeit, I did fast-forward through talking, walking, and somewhat boring parts but I did watch the boss fights and points of interest. I know this game well enough to understand what's going on (through my brother, whom I've watched play it) so I hope that rectifies my fast-forwarding through it. Great job samurai goroh, it was very enjoyable to watch this game get TASed. Yes vote.
I couldn't understand what was going on most of the time and I had it high speed a lot, but I do enjoy the boss owning tricks and of course the final dungeon was great. I vote yes as it is well done and apparently does beat the SDA run..I was going to ask about that. We finally have a TAS of this game. Now all we need is FF4.
I liked the part where "A" leaped away like a coward, leaving his friends to be killed horribly by Titan's mighty Ass-Shake [sic] attack. It was hard to sit through, except for the boss fights. Would have been more fun with subtitles pointing out the subtler points, and making up a fake, idiotic plot to replace the plot that's actually in there. Edit: Typos.
Former player
As much as I like to think I like this game, this submission made an otherwise interesting RPG seem really boring. Aside from the fact that I fast forwarded through about 90% of the file, the tactics were pretty repetetive. While I can appreciate how quickly this completes the game, and how much effort went in to some of the more complicated things therein, I can't give this a Yes vote. That being said, I'm giving this a Meh. I know full well that there will be tons of others to give this a Yes vote, though, so don't lose too much sleep. If and when this does get published, can we at least have some sort of subtitles to summarize what is going on and why certain things are being done (non-plot stuff, of course)?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Hmm... it's been awhile since I played this game, but isn't there suppose to be one more boss before the ending?
I also thought there was another boss. Anyways, I'm voting yes, but mainly because I played the english versions of FFV, so I knew what was going on for the most part.
Editor, Player (53)
trytoguess wrote:
Hmm... it's been awhile since I played this game, but isn't there suppose to be one more boss before the ending?
Normally it should. However, since I berserk Exdeath, he can't transform into Neo Exdeath... That's mentioned in the link I posted, but I'll edit the submition later to add it.
Joe
I do give this one props for not stopping to level grind in this game. The changing of classes throughout the game also kept things a bit more fresh. It started to get a bit repetative when Butz started casting Doom on the bosses to kill them quickly (similar complaints FFVI seems to get). My favorite parts was seeing Galuf run around like a madman once he regained consciousness in the prison cell and also Galuf commiting suicide the moment he faced ExDeath. I voted yes
awesome someone did this i hope i see something i didnt know about this game, ive played it way too much
I haven't been able to watch it entirely through, but the use of a Japanese rom for a game with loads of story and text is really awkward. I've played FF5 a ton and know it all, but it doesn't make a great movie. I know the official site policy is to only use official roms, (for good reason) and there is no official SNES translation, but the RPGe translation really was the first project of its kind, and gave a push to emulation which we depend on for TASing. At the time it made a game available to English gamers that wasn't available at all. If the movie gets subtitled, it will help the viewer immensely, but it does still distract from the main entertainment. Also, on a technical note, isn't it possible to reset the RNG for encounters by opening the menu? Couldn't this save time in places where the player just runs? (Or is running still faster???) I remember this trick is normally used to avoid encountering the Garkimasra / Jackanapes in Worus basement. It was taken out of the GBA, but people realized you can still quicksave + reload to do it. It would be faster to run in GBA version, but is it possible in SNES, or is it one of the quirks of the Anthology release?
Amazingly, I never actually checked the SMV file of the WIPs of this movie. I have only checked the AVI(s). Rather anticlimatically, this SMV desyncs on me right at the entering of the first cave. I tried adjusting various emulation settings, such as wip, sound sync etc, but it still desyncs. It's as if the delay when entering the cave is longer here than it was when making this movie. I had had SMV desyncs on my Snes9x version for a long time; I think I accidentally introduced them when making the subtitled Super Metroid movie. It had something to do with enabling/disabling extra controllers. I now fixed them, but this movie still doesn't play. EDIT: Wow, it plays now. I had a leftover .cht file hanging around from the times when I made the animated desert map...
What was the dancing with moogles about? At 2:04:43. Haha, nice suicide for Galuf. I never thought of that :) Also, it was weird seeing Galuf in the trainer outfit in that scene. When I played the game, he was a black mage, so the "I.. refuse to .. die!" dialog matched really well with his eerie look. I guess I could say the same for the miserable suicide -- he doesn't really look like some hero in that suit, so it's only obvious he'll fumble horribly :)
Former player
Bisqwit: I may be wrong, but there are a number of times in the game where you have to wait for some trigger to happen (for example, waiting in safety with those two moogles until the forest fire stops burning), and I think that's what was happening with those moogles. (If I even remember which scene you're talking about correctly...) Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this run. As an aside, though, I think some explanatory subtitles in the avi (similar to what we did with Might and Magic) would be nice - I've played the game and I barely understood what went on. But yeah, yes vote. Nice job.
...?
Yes... I am planning to encode this movie, but I want to wait until someone can provide a subtitle track for this entire movie.
Dispite how long it was, held a lot of intrest for me. A job well done, but the japanese text got really old =P Holding vote until I can watch it again, but leaning toward yes.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Editor, Player (53)
zdude255 wrote:
Also, on a technical note, isn't it possible to reset the RNG for encounters by opening the menu? Couldn't this save time in places where the player just runs? (Or is running still faster???)
It can only be done in the world map (which I do use), but in dungeons it doesn't work. However, at the end of the run, I discovered out that if you're a few steps from triggering a battle (less than 4, I think), you can use any door to change the RNG of when the battle will trigger next. Also, it's only useful if you don't have to walk more than 6 spaces to do this...
Bisqwit wrote:
What was the dancing with moogles about? At 2:04:43.
As curtmack mentioned, waiting time. I even have the address for that on the GBA XD Also in that part, I discovered that you can place on the same spot where a NPC was heading to, resulting on getting 2 sprites on the same place. In order to do that, you only have 1 frame to walk (or run) on the place where the NPC is going to head, & you can't do it if you are placed on the opposite direction (i.e. the NPC tries to go up & you down)
Bisqwit wrote:
I had had SMV desyncs on my Snes9x version for a long time; I think I accidentally introduced them when making the subtitled Super Metroid movie. It had something to do with enabling/disabling extra controllers. I now fixed them, but this movie still doesn't play. EDIT: Wow, it plays now. I had a leftover .cht file hanging around from the times when I made the animated desert map...
hehe, same thing happened to me. I had a cheat code for avoiding battles that I forgot to remove & I had to redo a part. I also had it on when checking the run from the beginning & it desynch at the cave XD BTW, here's a link with the suggested images :)
Heh. I think this one will raise a few eyebrows.
Post subject: heads-up, still need subtitles
Just a heads-up, I have already created the initial AVI for this movie, but before making the final one, I need subtitles that I can put in it. Maza's subtitles here are a nice start, but they only go as far as the world 1 end, and they contain errors (pointed out by Quietust) that have not been fixed.
I think I have to go with meh. I liked that game, and the run was high quality, but no matter how well done it was 3 hours was just too much for me. Its flow was decent, and if the final product was shorter, I would go for yes in a heartbeat.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Former player
I can make some subtitles for this run that explain major events, boss strategies, generally what's going on, and also random other things about the game. More like a commentary track in text. If you want that kind of thing I'll work on it starting tomorrow.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Are you serious about this subtitle thing? Please, whatever you may decide, don't use hard subs. I accept hard subbed run information like in every video till today, but I don't want to view more hard subs. So please, put up a link to a separate subtitle file or mux the subtitles into a Matroska container with the video and audio - or don't use subtitles at all. I'm sure nobody wants to encode two separate videos to please everyone.