Jewel Master completed as fast as possible. This game works on a ring system. You can combine rings, having two for each hand, to make different spells. One of the rings is a speed ring, so I try to wear that as often as possible.
If you're wondering how this run was completed so fast, I started it before I started my Gunstar Heroes run.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I tried Jewel Master (J) [c][!].gen, which was the closest match to what you wrote.). Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

adelikat: A borderline movie that didn't quite impress the audience enough. Better luck next time.

mmbossman: This submission has been given another chance at publication. If you feel it should be published, instead of returning to the grue, please post WHY in the thread. Similarly, if you do NOT think this movie should be published, post WHY.

mmbossman: After watching this again, I'm somewhat surprised at the slightly lackluster reception it got, I found it to be better than I remember. Accepting for publication.

sp00ky: Encoding...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1655: arkiandruski's Genesis Jewel Master in 09:40.28
Skilled player (1086)
The first three levels were kind of meh, but level four onwards was better. The fast spells when the screen was full of enemies was great. However, I found the character movement to be annoyingly slow at times. I give this a borderline yes.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
If that is his movement rate with the speed ring on... I dunno. This game looks laughably mediocre in every aspect, the action is repetetive the speed is slow, the graphics aren't interesting, and there's a bunch of pausing to switch items in an already slow game. You did great things with gunstar heroes, but not so much with this. No.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Hardly the best game I've ever seen, but the movie was well done and varied enough to keep me entertained in spite of never hearing of Jewel Master prior to seeing it on the submissions page.
I have to say yes. Different weapons were used and I didn't think the walking speed was bad at all. The pause-switching didn't bother me either. It wasn't awful, so how can you say no?
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
shallow wrote:
It wasn't awful, so how can you say no?
It wasn't good, so how can you say yes? Which is to say: I thought this site only wants to accept good runs, rather than only rejecting bad ones. This is a subtle but important difference.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Active player (277)
If it wasn't awful, it must be good to SOMEONE. Let's be thinking of that certain special someone.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
A lot of the things that are being mentioned are subjective, which is why there is a voting system. What may be awful to someone may be fascinating to someone else. As for this game itself, I vote no because the path is obvious and the movie itself doesn't show anything special and it is, in my opinion, fairly boring. It's not irritating though, and I don't think pausing to change weapons takes away from a movie, I think in a way it adds to it. Also, to say that a movie should not be accepted because the game is not as well known is bad medicine. The supposed audience of this site is the general public, but don't we end up attracting almost exclusively hardcore nerds anyway? I think that a handful of games are liked based mostly on popularity. But I digress. I vote no for bad game choice; the player did at least a decent job.
Reviewer, Active player (277)
I knew this submission was borderline when I submitted it. I made this run because I wanted to make the run. I liked this game and felt there were enough good points to make the run interesting, and pulled everything out of it that I could.
I would like to applaud you for making the run in spite of everything. Hold onto it because it's still an accomplishment, it just may not be accepted on this site. Don't let this discourage you from future TASes either.
Watched this last night before bed, and all it really did was hasten my falling asleep. The game looks hard, but the TAS does not look much fun.
Voted NO for NO reason
Active player (435)
"A rather poor platformer that is needlessly complicated by a badly designed spell system." This about sums up the game pretty well. After the first level I was expecting more, the first level had the good damage boosting and what looked like some glitching through stairs, but then after that, the game sort of just leveled off with get from point A to point B. Normally this isn't much of a problem, but the game didn't give me much to look at. Nothing spectacular about the graphics, not very fast. Sorry, but I must vote no.
I'm sciencing as fast as I can ! ______________________________________ <adelikat> once more balls enter the picture, everything gets a lot more entertraining <adelikat> mmmmm yummy penises
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I had to vote meh. It wasn't a terrible game, but not particularly interesting either. The damage boosting and a few other little things were nice. But that wasn't enough for me. The game is slow paced and too much of a "walk to the right and jump over a few enemies" type game.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
*I* liked it, but then I have the dubious honor of having actually played the game (and am of the opinion it alternates between stupid and hard). Therefore I enjoy seeing the game crushed in such a manner.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
It was somehow less boring the second time I watched it. I will give it a Meh.
Former player
The game itself was quite dull. Though some nice damage boosting and the stair jumping weighs up for the run. I vote yes.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Experienced player (822)
I liked the variety of bosses and the different weapons selected to crush them, but beyond that it wasn't very entertaining, at no fault to the author. I give it a meh.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I don't see why people don't like this movie, even though I've never played the game before I found it enjoyable none the less and there wasn't much that look unoptimized. There is a lot of stuff thats in the players way that forces the player to deal with countless tricky situations in creative and unexpected ways. So I'll add a meanlinless yes vote.
Post subject: Returned to "new" status
Experienced player (822)
As you can see, this movie has been returned from the grue for another shot at publication. Please post what you think about the movie, and why it should be published, or why it should remain rejected. Poll votes will not be considered, only responses in the thread. This submission will remain on the workbench for one month to gather further opinions, then a second judging decision will be made.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Banned User
This run has enough variety to spawn my interest. Yes vote.
Gone.
Zucca
He/Him
Knowing this game I noticed some really clever shortcuts. Like skipping the second battle with dragon(spawn). A yes. I think this movie could be a bit more entertaining by: - taking no damage - killing every enemy (that hits on the way) Maybe no-damage run next time... Anyway, not bad at all.
trazz wrote:
Killing the skeletons sooner or letting the skeletons live (unlive?) won't affect that at all.
I'll happily youtube this if I can get an encode. For the record, yes, I would make one myself but I'd like information directing to tasvideos.org directly hardcoded into the video by someone qualified. =P
Banned User
I'll try to encode this. edit: done. http://rapidshare.com/files/240009271/jewelmaster-tas-arkiandruski.mkv The file is huge though.
Gone.
Thanks for the encode, Nineko! Seemed an enjoyable enough game. Things kept moving at a good pace, anyway. I don't think it was spectacular, but it certainly meets the standards of the site.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Edit: Never mind, Youtube rejected the ****ing video. I need to get myself some tools that can trim videos. I can however, watch this. Windows Media Player can play MKV's if you change the extension to AVI.