Post subject: Crashing/game over speedrun
I had a great idea for a new type of speedrun: crash the game as soon as possible, or if there is no known way to crash the game than just get a game over as fast as possible. I know this has been done with Kabuki: Quantum fighter, but I think it would be awesome to do with rockman or mario 64. Is my point clear enough to understand? If so, would this be cool?
Why is my name "Random"? ...because it is my real name.
Former player
Not cool.
Borg Collective wrote:
Negotiation is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.
Editor, Active player (296)
https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/rockman-wily4-nonroute3.avi Here's how I crashed Rockman... Albeit not very fast as it's near the game's end. I think it's faster to do by escaping some robot master battle room and forcing the boss to fall out from the screen. Cutman is especially vulnerable to this. As for your idea, not cool for submissions. [Edit: updated link]
Tub
not cool in about 99% of all cases. How do you define 'crash'? Does any glitch count? any graphical glitch? Does the game have to freeze or reboot? Without a clear definition there can be no competition, thus 'crashing the game as fast as possible' is a bad goal for a movie. With many games the reason of the crash won't be identifiable by a casual viewer (for example if pressing left+right just crashes the game), so that'll be pointless to watch. Getting a 'game over' wouldn't be fun when the fastest way to lose is to bump into enemies. Everybody can do that, many of us do that all the time! Sure, videos that show off glitches or surprising strategies can be fun, but I doubt that there are enough games where the resulting video is entertaining to watch. For the small amount of movies that'll pass as good: post them into the 'Just be funny.' thread.
m00
I meant this as more of a "play around tas" idea, not serious submissions. I find it very funny to see a game freeze due to a glitch, and it would also be funny to see clever ways to die fast on certain games.
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
How's about a deadlock? The annoying thing is I did this in real-time once (which is how I discovered it in the first place) and it really pissed me off at having ruined my game.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
GBA Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland has a freeze glitch as well. (Freezes in 36 sec of gameplay)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
NES Battletoads freezed on me on level 9 when having 2 players under incredible lag. Captain Comic resets the game if you go to the space level and jump to the top left.
Former player
Load up Widget, get through the title screen and intro. Hit left+right. Crash time ~4 seconds. Yawn.
Player (104)
Nitrodon and I have crashed Earthbound while making the TAS. I've put up some SMVs demonstrating the crashes on my webpage. They're named "Z-Bug1.smv" and "Z-Bug2.smv". You can get them both here: http://www.obellemare.com/speedruns/ The game simply freezes. You can't do anything anymore. It's basically a buffer overflow somewhere in the game's memory (Too many sprites loaded at the same time without cleaning the memory of the obsolete spirtes (those not on screen anymore)). The first video is a bit short... but I'm too lazy to go back and re-record it to be longer. Basically, we teleported through the lost underworld and this is what happened at one point. The second video happened at the end of the game. Paula prays to get help from people. This scene was the runaway five praying, but it just never loads. The game doesn't have enough memory available to load all sprites, so it gets stuck in a loop. I know, it's not a Tool-Assisted-Crash-Speedrun (TACS), it's just a crash in the game... I might or might not try to find a way to crash it sooner. Until then, these 2 videos will have to do.
Dwedit
He/Him
Xkeeper submitted that run of Tetris to try to get game over as quickly as possible, but then there raged a debate about whether to end the input early or not.
Skilled player (1636)
Bisqwit wrote:
https://files.tasvideos.org/bisqwit/rockman-wily4-nonroute3.avi Here's how I crashed Rockman... Albeit not very fast as it's near the game's end. I think it's faster to do by escaping some robot master battle room and forcing the boss to fall out from the screen. Cutman is especially vulnerable to this. As for your idea, not cool for submissions.
LOL, I love that video almost as much as your run. As for the no on submission, that's sad, but it's not my site, it's yours. I got lambasted when I said I wanted to see a crashed MKII run
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Is my point clear enough to understand? If so, would this be cool?
HA! I like it. Though, I like it much better as a Youtube montage of catastrophic glitches. ...which maybe exists already? *shrug*
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
Pokemon Red/Blue might be interesting, as there's an odd bug with hard reset which gives you a level 0 Charizard. With 0 defense. When it gets hit by an attack, the game evidentally tries to divide by 0 and freezes.
Experienced player (611)
In The 'Just Be Funny' Thread, VANDAL wrote:
I thought this might be funny for some: Bart vs The World What seems to happen is an overload of input I guess.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Do emulator crash bugs count?
Active player (482)
BoltR wrote:
Load up Widget, get through the title screen and intro. Hit left+right. Crash time ~4 seconds. Yawn.
Pffft. The Flintstones can be done in 2.8s without using left/right.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
How?
Up/down maybe?
Former player
Yeah, but to be fair 99.99% of that 5 seconds is menus.
Active player (482)
Banned User, Former player
I have for long liked the idea if Bisqwit created a separate "sub-site" of tasvideos, something separate (but linked from here), where relatively short tool-assisted playaround videos could be published showing something else than game completions. Videos like "the weirdest way of beating the boss" or "the most amusing way of crashing the game" (not necessarily the fastest, as suggested). The videos wouldn't have to start from reset but from anywhere (but the tricks shown should be (at least in theory) replicable in the real console by normal play). Entertainment from something else than just completing the game. These would obviously not be "speedruns", so the sub-site would have to be named as something else.
That would be nice, even, you could maybe add another domain name, to split the two section. And I don't know if a forum split would be a nice idea of not, that I agree with Warp
That sounds completely unnecessary. What is 'Concept Demos' for again? Maybe it should have an expanded role, but it's there. Also, "Tool-assisted superplay movies" according to the site.
Voted NO for NO reason
I do sort of agree with warp. It would almost make since to do that because as it is, runs are speed and entertaining at the same time. If you separated them, you could have one site that is basically just an archive of fast completions, while the other is devoted to entertainment. Doing 2 things like that at the same time often leads to you doing them both badly, or at least not as well as you could.
Has never colored a dinosaur.