Wario Land 2 Any% by Soulrivers

• Recorded on VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 re-recording 19.3
  • Aims for fastest time
This run “completes” the game in a mere 8:35 minutes (30912 frames) by playing through one of the secret chapters, spanning only 6 stages. It actually produces an ending, though not the same as if you had completed the game the “normal” way. To reach the secret chapter, you have to not touch any button after starting a new game, letting Wario stay in bed. This submission is roughly 55 seconds faster than the rejected submission by LSK.
The fastest way of movement is obviously the dash. There is a slight delay when starting the dash, which can be avoided by doing a jump. At some times, the delay is carried out as a jump wouldn't be benficial.
Enjoy.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.
<Screens removed due to me using the wrong VBA version!>

Truncated: I rejected the last movie of this game due to bad game choice, but it seems people like this a lot more. If nothing else, it is at least played a lot better. I will accept it.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1687: Soulrivers's GBC Wario Land 2 in 08:35.20
Active player (490)
Great improvement over the last run. This was a lot more fun to watch, too. I can't really see anything that could be improved. :) Yes vote.
S@G
wow :D yes vote
I don't need a Signature
emu
Active player (380)
I played the game some minutes before watching the movie and I didn't like it at all (especially the music), but the run look good to me. Also nice improvements to the previous submission. yes vote
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
A well done and entertaining TAS :-) Yes vote
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2142)
Nice one. I didn't enjoy the first 3 Wario Land games that much. I prefer nr 4 instead :). Good job on this run though. I really like when you are jumping up :D.
Qlex
He/Him
Very nice, I'm pleased someone released a Wario Land game TAS, I realize Wario is really fast in this one. Anyway I give this my yes vote.
Not sure how to vote... I don't really agree with this route for a TAS. I'd rather a non-100% run go through the main route for the best ending. This site's style is usually that if a different path can be take for the same result, then nothing is wrong (e.g.: Mario games with world warps)... The run was very optimized, but I really don't think it was enough to judge. In the end, voting Meh.
S@G
I have uploaded now the Movie in h264, don't know if its good enough for a publiched run (if it will be a publiched run), its not an .avi but an .mp4 (quicktime) it has a size of 31 MB Framerate 60 and a bitrate of 1008 kbits. It has been encoded with QuickTime Player Pro 7.2 Download: link removed look later post
I don't need a Signature
Senior Moderator
S@G wrote:
I have uploaded now the Movie in h264, don't know if its good enough for a publiched run (if it will be a publiched run), its not an .avi but an .mp4 (quicktime) it has a size of 31 MB Framerate 60 and a bitrate of 1008 kbits. It has been encoded with QuickTime Player Pro 7.2
Okay, I see now that QuickTime sucks, thank you. :P First of all, it failed to show 60 fps on any decoder I tried it on, likely because it doesn't even contain all the frames for whatever reason. Secondly, 1008 kbps is about 5 times as much as this game needs to have that level of picture quality (I'm serious).
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
S@G
moozooh wrote:
Okay, I see now that QuickTime sucks, thank you. :P First of all, it failed to show 60 fps on any decoder I tried it on, likely because it doesn't even contain all the frames for whatever reason. Secondly, 1008 kbps is about 5 times as much as this game needs to have that level of picture quality (I'm serious).
the problem with the frameskip was while the recording of the movie, don't know why it happened, i tryed 5 times, always a filesize of over 3 GB, but it was always the same frameskip... do you now why that happened ?
I don't need a Signature
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
A 3-minute intro is not a part of this healthy TAS. However, the stunningly fast motion through levels was enough for me to give this the weakest of yesses.
Senior Moderator
S@G wrote:
the problem with the frameskip was while the recording of the movie, don't know why it happened, i tryed 5 times, always a filesize of over 3 GB, but it was always the same frameskip... do you now why that happened ?
No idea, never used QuickTime for encoding. But just so you know, any encoding application that doesn't let you see what exactly all the encoding options are will always leave you with some kind of a surprising (let alone suboptimal) result.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Banned User, Former player
I would rather see a 100%. Voting meh. It beats the game well, it's fast, but it leaves something to be desired.
Perma-banned
S@G
I get it :D the new File, MP4 (h264) every frame (so I hope) 60 fps, 400 kbits here it is, enyoy :D Link removed, check later post for courrent Version if its good enough, and if the video will be published you can use it as the movie file :D if its not good enough then tell me please wats wrong with it :)
I don't need a Signature
Senior Moderator
I'm quite baffled at the amount of actions you need to do just to clear the level as fast as possible. There were good moments in it, but out of those 8.5 minutes, about a half was spent waiting, and only a few seconds watching really entertaining stuff. Voting meh.
S@G wrote:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9kvykm9fzwe if its good enough, and if the video will be published you can use it as the movie file :D if its not good enough then tell me please wats wrong with it :)
The framerate problem seems to be fixed, but video now sports very noticeable compression artifacts (it is possible to avoid them at almost half the bitrate you used; QuickTime is evidently not an efficient encoding software at all, even though the codecs it's using are up to date). Also, audio doesn't have to have bitrate as high as 128 if you're talking about publishable file, which also means it has to be AVI, or at least MKV.
Warp wrote:
Experienced player (822)
I didn't read the intro text and thought it had desynched when Wario just laid there sleeping :( After watching, I can't say I wasn't a little entertained, but it's a rather weak game to TAS in my opinion. Giving it a meh.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
mwl
The long intro is the reason submissions of this game never pass. It's time to look past this and realize that there's very solid gameplay after the intro, for the vast majority of the run, and we should not discount it for something so minor. The viewer can always fast-forward that part.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I liked it. Course I skipped the intro at such a fast speed it went by in just a couple seconds, so I don't know from experience how this will affect the video version. So what I did see was just the movie, and it sure seemed well done. Having never played the game before I thought the fireball Wario and the flattened Wario were pretty entertaining, and that everything just seemed pretty darn seamless. Lots of little waiting periods with doors and post-level business, and one point had a wait for monsters dancing around, but that didn't detract from the movie to me. So to me it's just a matter of deciding how seriously the wait to get to the action affects the movie. I fast forwarded it. I've fast forwarded longer before. I liked this run. I yes it.
S@G
moozooh wrote:
The framerate problem seems to be fixed, but video now sports very noticeable compression artifacts (it is possible to avoid them at almost half the bitrate you used; QuickTime is evidently not an efficient encoding software at all, even though the codecs it's using are up to date). Also, audio doesn't have to have bitrate as high as 128 if you're talking about publishable file, which also means it has to be AVI, or at least MKV.
now I maked an AVI with Super © (the program is not that bad as I thinked) Video Bitrate: 192 kbits Audio Bitrate: 64 kbits and there are no Fragments :D (so I hope) Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?avwhjt04fjn Thank you for helping me, to getting better in encoding :D Could this be used as the avi Version of the Movie, or is the quality still to bad?
I don't need a Signature
Senior Moderator
This is much better. Whether it will be published is for a judge to decide, though. So far the submission hasn't even been accepted yet.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [973] GBC Wario Land II by Soulrivers in 08:35.20