• VBA19
  • Collects all items
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
First of all, I use VBA19 because VBA20 sucks monkey fleas for TASing GB-games. Not the fact that it count frames like a drunk 8-year old, but the fact that it messes up the graphics when state saving (Rendering frames ahead and stuff). I posted about this in the VBA-forums but got no response so I decided to use VBA19 where I won't have to go insane and quit TASing because of a stupid emulator. Thank you for your understanding.
The run
This run is 177769 frames long (49 minutes 22.817 seconds), 21337 frames (5 minutes 55.616667 seconds) faster than the previous run. It has basically the same route (The only real difference is when getting all the beams) as the previous run, so all frames are gained by optimized movements, Metroid-fights, missile-planning etc. Just like the previous run, this one collects all beams in the same area rather than collecting them along the way.
I kill the Omegas by shooting them in their backs to save time (I am almost 100% sure that it is faster, but if it isn't, then I save time when I skip the last refueling station).
Thanks to
  • I really have to thank Alter for setting up a route for me and creating a TAS which I could follow when I wondered where to go, also, the pass through block-glitch you found was great as well.
  • Arne_The_Great and herooftheday for setting high goals for me to beat
  • moozooh for being the goldmine of information regarding this game
  • Other people
Suggested Screen
Found at frame 173958. That sequence might have some better frames, so feel free to suggest.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also replaced the ROM name.
  • You indicated Metroid 2 - Return of Samus (UA) [!].gb
  • I updated it to Metroid II - Return of Samus (UE) [!].gb

Claimed for encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1710: Cardboard's GB Metroid 2 - Return Of Samus "100%" in 49:22.82
Senior Moderator
My favorite GB run, period.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Former player
Wired name on the filename :P "Kartong - Metroid 2 - Samus Kommer Tillbaka Och Plockar Alla Grejor.vbm" "cardboard - Metroid 2 - Samus is comming back and takes all the stuff" :O funny :P Anyhow.. Im so gonna watch this now =)
Wheeeehaaa.. Yaaayy..
Skilled player (1670)
Frenom wrote:
Wired name on the filename :P "Kartong - Metroid 2 - Samus Kommer Tillbaka Och Plockar Alla Grejor.vbm" "cardboard - Metroid 2 - Samus is comming back and takes all the stuff" :O funny :P Anyhow.. Im so gonna watch this now =)
Yeah that turned into my "thing" when submitting movies a few runs back in time (Both of my W&W-movies have Swedish names with roughly translated titles and descriptions, as well as my any% of this game), so that's how it will have to be \o/
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Former player
Really a nice run I would say. I liked it alot how you kited the Metroids to the end of the screen . Sucks to be Motherbrain tho. She died like sack of **** :P Congratulations. Yes vote mate. Cheers
Wheeeehaaa.. Yaaayy..
21337 frames (5 minutes 55.616667 seconds) faster !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love you cardboard :D too bad i cant watch it right now, have to go to work in 5minutes, but at least i have something to look forward too today --- finished yes what else :P!
Player (88)
I agree with moozooh, best GB run to date. 6 minutes improved is damn impressive. Voting yes.
They're off to find the hero of the day...
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Well... I have never liked this game. Have never have patience to beat it. But I still watch your crappy runs :). And they are keeping me a bit entertained. Nice run. YeD vote.
Active player (324)
Wow, I think those are the worst NesVideoAgent screenshots I've seen yet. (Except for #7, that one might work.) I watched this, so I figured I'd drop by and vote yes. I couldn't quite tell where the improvements were aside from the screen transitions while Metroids die, but it was still fun to watch the whole way through.
Tub
around frame 62000, when you return right after killing the metroid, you're shooting the upper row of blocks instead of just rolling underneath. Any reason for that? otherwise it looked fine.
m00
Skilled player (1670)
I haven't tested or watched (Just checked the frame numbers against my spread sheet) when writing this, but my guess would be that I was already standing up, and wearing Varia, so running is equally fast to rolling, and I did not lose time by running shooting, while dropping into a ball would have cost me time. If this wasn't the case, then I guess it was a mistake.
Warp wrote:
Tub
you did have varia, but at that point you did shoot all the blocks, then started rolling. It's possible you didn't lose time doing it though, still looked weird. regardless, yes vote.
m00
Skilled player (1670)
Alright here's what happened: I decided to turn into a ball there because I needed to jump as a ball in the next room, and since I was already ducking, I could as well give up 1 frame in this room to turn into the ball as giving up 1 frame in the next room to turn into the ball over there. That should explain it.
Warp wrote:
Active player (432)
*watches the run, enjoys it, finds it pretty entertaining, picks-up-his-broken-jaw-from-the-floor-knowing-the-superswede-improved-the-current-published-run-by-6-minutes and delightfully casts his yes vote and returns to his corner*
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Very nice improvement, especially against the final boss. At this point I assumed she had to be killed with bombs.
Former player
Wow. Spiderthrowing off enemies? Cornercutting Metroids again? The best Queen-fight ever? And shattering my dreams by improving 6 minutes ^^;? Cardboard, you own. That is all.
is it faster to kill the queen with bombs? ive never used it on my gameboy so far :x!
Skilled player (1670)
Nope. A bomb causes 30 damage to Queen, a missile 1 (She has 150). A bomb, however, takes ~250 frames before it takes effect, while 30 missiles can be fired in 60 frames (Queen have no invulnerability time).
Warp wrote:
Cardboard wrote:
Nope. A bomb causes 30 damage to Queen, a missile 1 (She has 150). A bomb, however, takes ~250 frames before it takes effect, while 30 missiles can be fired in 60 frames (Queen have no invulnerability time).
How many bombs can you lay at once? Sounds like the missile kill is 300 frames at best.
Skilled player (1670)
I think that only 1 bomb can be planted for damage. Even if 3 bombs could be planted, it would do 90 damage in 250 frames, which still makes it slower since 90 missiles can be fired in 180 frames.
Warp wrote:
Former player
The problem is that you have to reenter the queens belly after laying the initial 3 bombs because she spits you out after a bomb explodes. So if you have the missiles its always faster that way.
Skilled player (1670)
I also believes that only one bomb hurts her, even if 3 are planted. So yeah bombs are the emergency plan.
Warp wrote:
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [979] GB Metroid II: Return of Samus "100%" by Cardboard in 49:22.82