Submission Text Full Submission Page
This run attempts to make a Super Mario 64 1 star TAS as tightly optimized as possible. It saves about 26 frames from the latest 1 star TAS, or almost a second. A 0 star run was attempted (and it will be again), but we didn't manage to get either basement BLJ (30 star door steps or Hazy Maze Cave steps) fast enough to actually pass through Dire Dire Docks (though getting past the door behind it was successful).

Abuses programming errors, takes damage to save time, and aims to complete the game in the fastest amount of time.

Emulator used: Mupen64 ReRecording Edition versions 1 & 2 with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6, Jabo's DirectSound 1.6, TAS Input Plugin 0.6, and RSP Emulation Plugin.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1723: mr_roberts_z & Rikku's N64 Super Mario 64 in 06:44.07
oh the irony
Pretty tight :) I still have hope for a 0-star run. I really like what I see. Finally manipulating bowser so you can stand right under the final star looks nice. Bowser 3 seems to have alot of improvement. BTW, someone posted a long time ago a vid of waiting for the elevator in Bowser 2 and doing BLJ up to the expanding slopes. It looked like it could be faster but it was a tough call. Just wanted to check if you ever tested that. EDIT Ahh here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMk1dNemgqk EDIT2 After comparing it with the run I think it might be 1-2 seconds slower... its kinda close though so am not very sure.
This signature is much better than its previous version.
Howto: Annoy coders.
Mario was toasted nicely on BitFS :D Yes vote.
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Whoa awesome, everything was improved from the previous movie, I really liked the choices during the Bowser waiting periods. Although I still wish you documented some of the improvements, I think the improvements I noticed were faster 30 star door glitch and the dives at the top tier of BitFS. Yes Vote
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Deja vu! why? -Another SM64 submission -Yes vote from me (I don't think I'd ever vote no on these runs, there's not enough for me to give it a no) -Hated the camera angles These three things never change. What I want now: -An absolute proven fastest time for 1 star, or a 0 star submission, so that the low% category for SM64 can be left alone and other categories focused on -Use MHS and memory watching for extreme optimzation. I found an address that shows speed on a sub pixel scale. Use it! -Please, Please, Please, better camera angles. FODA and spezzafer STILL have the best camera angles, watch what they do and keep the camera a good distance away from Mario and pan it around so you see the direction he's going and a good portion of the level showing.
Homepage ☣ Retired
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Boring minus 26 frames equals..........still boring. Bring back the 16 star :(
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Former player
comicalflop wrote:
Deja vu! why? -Hated the camera angles
Actually, most of the camera angles were intentional, to reduce lag. The sideview stuff makes less to draw at a time.
<DK64_MASTER> Comicalflop, you realize that some of the camera angles in sm64 are necessary to reduce lag, right? <Comicalflop> yes, some. <Comicalflop> some. <DK64_MASTER> so you cannot have bullet's 1 and 3 fullfilled at the same time <Comicalflop> I can. <Comicalflop> because the camera angles are stil horrible in non laggy parts <DK64_MASTER> [bullets 1 and 3] two cannot stand together IMO <Comicalflop> they can and I won't be truly happy until they do. <moozooh> haha
<agill> banana banana banana terracotta pie! <Shinryuu> ho-la terracotta barba-ra anal-o~
Skilled player (1533)
You know, I don't know why I ever bother voting on SM64 runs, considering a better version will be released in a few weeks. But it's a yes regardless.
comicalflop wrote:
-An absolute proven fastest time for 1 star, or a 0 star submission, so that the low% category for SM64 can be left alone and other categories focused on
Over and over it seems that absolute proven fastest times always seem to be outdone in time.
Experienced player (822)
Even if that was only a second faster, to me it seemed very much cleaner, crisper, and exact than the previous version. And I for one actually appreciated the camera angles, seeing Mario's point of view (when interesting), is a nice change of pace from just seeing him from far away. A whole run like that would be overkill, but I truly enjoyed Bowser in the fire sea. Oh, and I actually noticed the lag reduction in DDD when boarding the sub. Good job, and a yes (it's a shame it had to come right after the last one got published, please tell me you didn't sit on it for a week just to wait for that one to hit the front page).
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Camera angles were very well chosen I'd say. Execution is great! Good one, Myles
Active player (490)
Excellent run. Although the time improvement is very miniscule, there's a clear difference in the level of optimisation between this and the previous run, clearest in DDD and BitFS. The lag-reducing camera angles also made it more intense. Yes vote.
Banned User, Former player
DK64_MASTER wrote:
<DK64_MASTER> Comicalflop, you realize that some of the camera angles in sm64 are necessary to reduce lag, right? <Comicalflop> yes, some. <Comicalflop> some. <DK64_MASTER> so you cannot have bullet's 1 and 3 fullfilled at the same time
Normally I would respond with "Time/entertainment tradeoffs", but in this case I'd rather just say fuck it and bring back the 16-star run. In other news, I'm sure you can all guess what I'm voting! ...no, you're all wrong, I'm not voting because I'm not watching this! Ha.* But seriously, this is nothing more to me anymore than a proof of concept. The 1-star run from months ago was boring, and this is probably just as boring. At least the 16-star showed off some of the game...
*171108» <_AKA_> As usual Xkeeper uses small text to change the meaning of his post completely.
*171124» <Xkeeper> AKA: No, the point of my post is that I hate the 1-star runs
*171143» <_AKA_> I already figured that
*171149» <Xkeeper> AKA: then how does the smalltext change the point at all
*171401» <_AKA_> It reveals a deeper sarcasm to your post.
*171408» <Xkeeper> that isn't changing the point at all
*171418» <Xkeeper> if nothing else, it reinforces the point that I hate these movies.
I love you people so much. * Originally smalltext. Normal-size because Bisqwit decided to remove it.
Perma-banned
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
comicalflop wrote:
-An absolute proven fastest time for 1 star, or a 0 star submission, so that the low% category for SM64 can be left alone and other categories focused on -Use MHS and memory watching for extreme optimzation. I found an address that shows speed on a sub pixel scale. Use it!
1. Thats hard even for the most simpliest of games, remember SMB1. I beleve it took 12-13 attempts to get whats accepted by many people as a perfect run. So far this game has had 9 which includes this one. Considering the days of the 16:27 run we've come a pretty damm long way. There really can't be much left to improved if any. 2. MHS tool might help somewhat, but by how much I don't know.
Former player
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
AKA wrote:
There really can't be much left to improved if any.
I remain suspicious that there is a way to talk to Bowser after the third fight, while being set up to jump. In this way, ~7 seconds would be taken off .m64 length.
Oh, God, yes! On a related note, hurry up with the 0-star run so that we can have SM64 finished faster than SMB...
I recall that using the C^ glitch during a BLJ allows you to retain your speed for longer than running. I'm not sure how it compares to a dive-flip, though. It's something to test that may be worth a few frames.
Trying 127.0.0.1... telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
Post subject: Yes, i voted no ^^o
Ahm, i dont know, even tough its an improvement, i disliked the movie, it was "the same", sadly, i guess that it was since it was nothing new compared to when i saw the last one, which was so amazing. Its a good movie, however I didnt liked it.
I am not a Taser, i just needed to vote...i do visit the site =P
Chamale wrote:
AKA wrote:
There really can't be much left to improved if any.
I remain suspicious that there is a way to talk to Bowser after the third fight, while being set up to jump. In this way, ~7 seconds would be taken off .m64 length.
Wasn't this discussed and put to rest? You can only initiate the appearance of the bowser3 star (and BOB star1 and WF star1 and the eye-hand things' star in SSL, or start a koopa the quick race) by being on the ground. The is day it's possible to have the game think you are on the ground when you are just in the air, is the day your dream will come true. :P As for the run at hand, yes vote, (though I did like the camera angles in the last one a bit more)
Post subject: Re: Yes, i voted no ^^o
BenniCR wrote:
Ahm, i dont know, even tough its an improvement, i disliked the movie, it was "the same", sadly, i guess that it was since it was nothing new compared to when i saw the last one, which was so amazing. Its a good movie, however I didnt liked it.
Well it's the same thing but optimized Havn't watched this tho, probably never will(to many Mario runs)
"No love for the game gear"
Player (36)
bkDJ wrote:
The is day it's possible to have the game think you are on the ground when you are just in the air, is the day your dream will come true. :P
Wouldn't that let you levitate by just jumping as much as you want?