Emulator used: VBA v19
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Other usual stuff
  • Uses bulleted list to artificially lengthen submission text
There's a lot of map movement, but it's the most optimal route I was able to find, including routes that included a second enemy encounter. Enemies, including the boss machines, can only be hit at set intervals, which is why shooting is not as fast as it could be.
Cardboard helped me out a bit at the beginning, but he decided to concentrate on I think it was Metroid 2 at the time instead. He said he didn't feel he did enough to be co-author, but I'd like to acknowledge what he did here, so thanks buddy.

adelikat: Decent game for TASing and good voter response. Accepting for publication.

adelikat: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1728: JXQ's GB Bionic Commando in 19:41.53
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
It seems that everyone wants to use v19. As far as I know, only one submission has ever used v20. Is there a good reason not to use v20? Or did everyone start 3 or 4 GBx TASes altogether before v20 came out?
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
FractalFusion wrote:
It seems that everyone wants to use v19. As far as I know, only one submission has ever used v20. Is there a good reason not to use v20? Or did everyone start 3 or 4 GBx TASes altogether before v20 came out?
People prefer not to use v20 because the echo ram fix wasn't the only change, v20 has more lag it seems, and frame advance behaves in a manner that is difficult to get used to. (These are the things that have been said in every prior discussion where continued use of v19 was brought up)
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
Skilled player (1670)
WADDAP PARTNER?? Yeah I had Metroids over my ass while you were doing this, and I felt that I really could not keep up with you. Either way, awesome run of the REAL version of this game. I vote yes by a lot.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
I enjoyed it. Glitching through walls = yes Grappling game = yes Super Joe looks a lot more like a super joe in this one. Yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
This was pretty cool. The map moving was only annoying at the very beginning. Actually, I think the run sort of kept getting better as it went along. Area 12 was awesome. Grappling into the ceiling in the crowded hallway was cool, and it had that cool BGM from HnF. I really liked this run. I'd also like to encourage you to continue your Bionic Commando rampage with GBC Elite Forces.
Somebody has to have messed with NesVideoAgent's screens... If he honestly picked those himself, maybe #13 should actually be considered. Otherwise, #1 is actually a pretty cool shot.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Hmm would you look at that >_> I picked out a few other screenshots for my own page, for those interested. Also FreshFeeling, Elite Forces is on my list, but there are a few projects ahead of it. :)
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
FreshFeeling wrote:
If he honestly picked those himself, maybe #13 should actually be considered.
Bisqwit has stated before (see majora's mask submission) that incomplete-dialog screenshots do not make for good publishing screenshots. Dialog in general, since not only english speakers frequent this site. On another note, I enjoyed this run more than the average gameboy TAS, yes vote.
Someone had to mention it eventually. :D Yes vote (though the cock.)
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Just out of curiosity, why was the return trip to Area 15 necessary?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
bkDJ wrote:
FreshFeeling wrote:
Bisqwit has stated before (see majora's mask submission) that incomplete-dialog screenshots do not make for good publishing screenshots. Dialog in general, since not only english speakers frequent this site.
I wasn't being completely serious. I just thought it would be hilarious if that actually ended up there automatically because I remembered talk about a similar shot for one of the NES Bionic Commando submissions. Now I feel kind of bad for ruining a good in-joke. Ah well.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
FreshFeeling wrote:
bkDJ wrote:
FreshFeeling wrote:
Bisqwit has stated before (see majora's mask submission) that incomplete-dialog screenshots do not make for good publishing screenshots. Dialog in general, since not only english speakers frequent this site.
I wasn't being completely serious. I just thought it would be hilarious if that actually ended up there automatically because I remembered talk about a similar shot for one of the NES Bionic Commando submissions. Now I feel kind of bad for ruining a good in-joke. Ah well.
Well, the NES version has the same line.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Sir VG wrote:
why was the return trip to Area 15 necessary?
Requirements for an open path to area 16 are (1) getting the communicator from area 15 (which requires the gun from area 12) and (2) beating area 13 to rescue Joe. Also I might have messed some of these numbers up.
Active player (277)
Is "Com. Tap. Select En" really that funny?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
JXQ wrote:
Sir VG wrote:
why was the return trip to Area 15 necessary?
Requirements for an open path to area 16 are (1) getting the communicator from area 15 (which requires the gun from area 12) and (2) beating area 13 to rescue Joe. Also I might have messed some of these numbers up.
OK, as long as there was reasoning. I've never played Bionic Commando (shame on me, I know), so I wasn't sure on route. I certainly couldn't complain on the gameplay level. YES vote then, not that my issue has been cleared.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
(Edit - touched up the pic a little bit)
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Is "Com. Tap. Select En" really that funny?
I can't believe you don't get it.
Active player (277)
Maybe we should use that screen that says "lethal weapon." because, like, there was a movie called Lethal Weapon, you know!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Great run, I always preferred this to the NES version. These screenshots really suck though.
Active player (432)
You really like Bonic Commando huh? :) Anyway, I almost got dizzy watching you moving so fast, which was entertaining. Voted yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [992] GB Bionic Commando by JXQ in 19:41.53
TorZelan
He/Him
I seriously did misread the goals just because it was Bionic Commando, haha. And then I just had to:
Gamer, musician, bonesword wielder.
Active player (410)
Not as good as the NES version but it's "drinkable".
PJ
He/Him
10 year bump! Woo! So, I've been working on this game for real-time runs (not recommended) and I found a few minor improvements to the TAS. I'm bad at documenting so I don't remember my other ideas, but I've made videos of two of those that I did remember. There doesn't appear to be any thread in the gameboy forums, so I'm going to dump my findings here. Doubt anybody cares, but they'll be here anyways. Rile phase 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv8WtuC056A So, like JXQ mentions, you want to kill Rile as close to his transformation point as possible because he slowly floats over there after phase 1 ends. The TAS shoots the missiles more or less as soon as possible and keeps Rile moving. TAS waits for Rile to reach the center on his third movement, and finishes him there. In doing so, he has to wait a bit before the final hit, and Rile still ends up quite a ways away from his transformation point. My goal with the new strat is to kill Rile immediately after he begins moving for the third time. This will recoil him almost directly onto his transformation point and eliminate all of that wasted time. Rile won't move until his missiles are gone, so I simply found a manipulation to keep them harmlessly on screen while I hit him more. With this strat, Rile is in stunlock for the entire fight and ends in a better position. Much less downtime. Area 16 wall skip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNyP9mPGMa0 This point of interest here is the swing at the bottom of this room. JXQ lands on the ground and pulls himself forward using the barrel, but you can just swing directly under this gap if you have a long enough swing. The following ceiling clip and initial descent are sub-optimal here because they are my real-time strats. :P As I remember more strats, I'll continue to dump them here. Again, I doubt there's any interest in improving this beast of a TAS, but I wanted to have things documented anyways. Thanks!