Submission Text Full Submission Page

About This Run

Disney's Aladdin is a semi-faithful adaptation of the movie, featuring most of the characters and the movie's original music. The story of Aladdin's adventure unfolds in between each level, usually with large colorful portraits of the characters as they speak.
  • Aims for fastest possible time.
  • Takes no damage.
  • Plays on highest difficulty.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game.
  • Genre: Platform.
This run is a 3874 frame improvement over the previous run (1 minute and 4.57 seconds).
The one main thing I tried to accomplish during this run was to not take damage. The only time in the game that I positively had to waste frames to avoid damage was during the last level when I'm falling down the long shaft with the rope. I cling to the rope momentarily to jump to the left to avoid the one fat dude below. It seemed like a shame to forgo the whole "Takes no damage" thing just because of one inconveniently placed enemy, so I decided to suck up the (negligible) frame loss. Other than that, if you're wondering about stray sword swings, they are simply there to avoid damage, as Aladdin is invincible for a short period of time while swinging. You'll notice this mostly when I'm running past swinging ball and chains.
Oh also, I had fun with Aladdin by pressing A and B alternately to make him look like an idiot while running.

The Run

Most time between levels was saved due to either faster bonus game canceling or skipping the entire bonus game entirely by not collecting any Genie tokens during a level. In-level time saved was mostly due to more optimized movement with the following exceptions:

Level 2

You need to chase down the Scarab to complete the level. The second time you are required to touch it, you usually have to go up and over the cliff and head back to the left to the cave it's in. Aladdin's Up+B sword swing goes through the wall, however, allowing me to "touch" the Scarab while on the other side of the cave and negate the need to double back.

Level 3

I save time here primarily due to the Long Jump (see Glitches). I use it to successfully save time twice, jumping over poles that you are normally required to slide down. The second time I use it, I skip an entire section (it's the long drop with the pole).

Level 4

Earlier jumping from moving bricks is what saves time here.

Level 8

As with any other springy thing in this game, dropping onto a Genie head while holding C as opposed to jumping on one will bounce you higher. I chose some completely different routes through this level.

Improvements

Frames saved
Level 149
Level 2239
Level 3739
Level 4273
Level 5406
Level 622
Level 70
Level 8915
Level 9218
Level 10652
Misc.361
Total3874

Glitches

The "Long Jump": While running, don't press anything for one frame, and then jump in the direction you want to go. I think this adds the X velocity of Aladdin's skidding-to-a-stop motion to the running motion, extending the jump. However, I could be completely wrong, as the trick doesn't always work in some areas.

Possible Improvements

• The Long Jump glitch might be usable other places (though it doesn't seem to work when I need it in level 8, Inside the Lamp).
  • Supposedly, killing yourself enough times in Level 7 (the automated carpet level) allows you to skip the level. I'm not willing to include this trick, regardless of whether it saves time or not. The level skip code (usable any time during the level) wasn't used in this run, and dying on this level to skip it seems to defeat the purpose of not using that code. Sorry if you wanted to see me die ;)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1730: ElectroSpecter's Genesis Disney's Aladdin in 13:15.17
Player (244)
Sorry guys, this should work now. It's also 2 frames faster! XD
Loved the run, aside from excellent play I will admit I slightly enjoy Aladdin... *cough* I know the long jump doesnt always work in some areas, but in the areas it does work, does doing a long jump save more frames than just running the distance? EX: when freeing abu from the cage, he runs ahead of you like an ungrateful bitch of a kid. But, using the long jump, could you actually stay ahead of him or, at the very least, keep his bitch ass on the screen? Sorry for the language, got kind of pumped, as well as years upon years of angst for him running off like that... ^_^; EDIT: Oh, yeah, it didnt desynch for me
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Former player
Submission Text wrote:
Rerecord count = 1306
Is that value tampered? That's awfully low with respect to the amount of improvements made in this movie... haven't watched it yet but will get to it real soon.
Truncated wrote:
Truncated is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man. -- xoinx
Player (244)
xoinx wrote:
Submission Text wrote:
Rerecord count = 1306
Is that value tampered? That's awfully low with respect to the amount of improvements made in this movie... haven't watched it yet but will get to it real soon.
EDIT: You know, on second thought, that does seem low. Perhaps it's an error from transferring the movie from Gens 2.11 to 9.5b? If so, I apologize. However, let it be known that whether it's 10 or 10,000,000 re-records, the only thing that matters to me is the quality of the movie. I would never purposely tamper with the count.
stickyman05 wrote:
But, using the long jump, could you actually stay ahead of him or, at the very least, keep his bitch ass on the screen?
Haha! I think this might compound the problem, since jumping messes with the camera. Though for some reason, I remember watching Abu opening the hole in the floor for you... It had been a while since I'd played though, so I could be wrong (one of my favorite Genesis games as a kid). As for saving frames, I'm not too sure. Looks like it might, but then again, it could be a trick of the camera (e.g. jumping normally causes the camera to stop scrolling for a bit, making it look slower to jump, when there is actually no frame loss). Which reminds me, right before I jump off of Carpet to fight Jafar, I jump repeatedly and hit my head on the ceiling. If anyone gets a chance, try doing this a bit longer than I did to seriously blow up the game. The camera stops completely and loses Aladdin's coordinates, causing graphical mayhem. Hunting for screenshots. This one reminded me of the movie 300. There's probably better screenshots with more stuff going on though!
Editor, Expert player (2459)
To me it seems that stopping the running for one frame gives you a boost whether you jump or not. It looks like a trick that should be used a lot more. Someone called it "stoprunning". (Works in Dark Castle too.) Yup, it works: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/482304844/aladdin-stoprunning.gmv It's a good run, so I recommend redoing it.
Player (244)
Haha, I'm going to be cluttering up Gruefood with canceled submissions. :/ I shall prevail, however. Sorry about the wait in the meantime. Canceling.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
ElectroSpecter wrote:
Haha, I'm going to be cluttering up Gruefood with canceled submissions. :/
That's ok. Afterall, this is somewhat the purpose of Workbench. Good luck with your future efforts!
Also, when getting scarab #2, I think it may be faster to throw an apple through the wall, triggering the scarab fly, as opposed to doing the very long up+b animation. Apple throw
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote:
Skilled player (1533)
Great movie, but I'm not voting just now as it seems your first one got improved by 2 frames, and now you're doing another one. I'll be voting yes for that one though, keep up the good work
Player (244)
Thanks for the tips and support. However, the video is going to have a completely different feel to it, since I need to take damage to use stoprunning effectively, and throwing apples, swinging the scimitar, and jumping all delay the use of the stoprunning. This means that instead of killing tons of guards and making Aladdin look like a ninja, he's now going to just look like a madman skidding through every level. I'm not sure how I feel about the run anymore (I'm still going to finish it), and on that note, I'm going to skip the Rug Ride level by killing myself.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
I always considered that a bonus level, so why not.
Experienced player (822)
skidding madman > ninja
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Dwedit
He/Him
I forget exactly how many times you need to kill yourself before the rug ride ends with the "Nice Try" screen, but you may need to collect 1-ups. Edit: according to this page: (URL REMOVED) you need two lives, then the third death instead triggers the level ending. So you don't need to collect any 1ups. I think the reason they put that feature in was because of backlash against Battletoads. Turbo Tunnel anyone? Edit: oops, didn't realize I had accidently linked to a roms site... Just google 'aladdin genesis "rug ride" "nice try"' to find a website which would talk about it.
Player (244)
After dominating level 3 with the new stoprunning techniques, I'm glad to say that my faith in this run is restored. Expect maybe a minute and a half knocked off the new run. stickyman, that trick for scarab 2 is faster, thanks! :)
ElectroSpecter wrote:
After dominating level 3 with the new stoprunning techniques, I'm glad to say that my faith in this run is restored. Expect maybe a minute and a half knocked off the new run. stickyman, that trick for scarab 2 is faster, thanks! :)
sweeeet... glad to be of assistance. i can't wait to see aladdin scoot faster and farther than a dog with hyperactive anal glands
adelikat wrote:
Bobmario511 wrote: