• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Emulator used VBA-rerecording20.0
It's the third time I did the run of the game. This one is 3332 frames (55.53 seconds) faster than the published run. Main improvement: warped to final boss by a nearer shortcut (lots of time was saved), manipulated luck to get hearts, faster boss fighting, optimized some movement, and no turbo in the run.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also replaced the ROM name.
  • You indicated Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (U).gba
  • I updated it to Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (U) [!].gba

adelikat: Accepting and encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1747: zggzdydp's GBA Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance in 14:04.85
Former player
An excellent job I must say. However, I have a mere one question in regards to this run: was it faster to use the floating boots for a majority of the time after you got them? jumping/descending seems considerably slower with such, to the point that I wondered if it might've been worthwhile to de-equip them when not necessary for a fair period of time. Regardless, this is still most worthy of a yes vote.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Finally, a worthy run (not counting the first one) of HoD. There wasn't anything too obvious in terms of generic improvements. If anything I thought the cross weapon could have been used more effecttivley in places. Still yes vote.
Senior Moderator
I liked this run very much. For me, it was on par with JXQ's, both optimization-wise and entertainment-wise. The damage taking looked much more polished here (and indeed looked like a timesaver). I also liked the polished boss fights. Yes vote, and 9/9 once it gets published. Good job!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Ditto with Moozooh. Superb Game and very nice improvements.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Ziggy Ziggy Ziggy, can't you see Sometimes your runs just hypnotize me And I just love your TASing ways Guess that's how you obsoleted J's Way to go zggzdydp! Very fun to watch.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Atma wrote:
However, I have a mere one question in regards to this run: was it faster to use the floating boots for a majority of the time after you got them? jumping/descending seems considerably slower with such, to the point that I wondered if it might've been worthwhile to de-equip them when not necessary for a fair period of time.
The floatingness is caused by being in an area that is supposed to be filled with water. The helium physics are not because he still has the boots equipped but because he gained access to an area he's not supposed to. I was going to give this run a try, but you definitely beat me to it. I look forward to watching it, from what I read it will very likely be a big yes vote.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Active player (432)
I think I have said this before but it is certainly worth saying again: it is always a pleasure seeing your castlevania runs. The speed, the critical hits, luck manipulation and most importantly and the most entertaining part; going through walls is something I find very amusing. Easy yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
This was a lot of fun to watch. Good work. Voting yes and we need to have a screenshot be one of Juste vs Maxim w/ multiple criticals.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
Oh my god. Your previous runs were amazing, but this one is just ridiculous. Good job.
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
Your hard work and my easy vote, YES.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
In all honesty, HoD was the only 2D Castlevania that never really grabbed my attention. It sat in my collection for over a year, unbeaten, purely because I just plain got bored playing it. This was actually how I came to discover that I had purchased a pirated copy of the game; I tried to go back to it, only to discover that my save files had been wiped, and it would immediately forget new save data on power down. I eventually bought a legit copy and finished it on principle. Still not a huge fan of the game, but it's better than any of the 3D installments, at any rate. This kept me entertained, which is the highest praise I can give. If I had known about half the tricks you demonstrated, I probably wouldn't have been so hard on this game. Voted yes.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Former player
I dub you Castlevania god. Great run, voted yes. I do wish there was a way to get those water physics off you. You would save a lot of time and the run would look way faster. Maybe you can skip glitching through that room?
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
I actually don't think the water physics slow him down. His vertical movements are hampered a bit, but there are some horizontal speed flights that he wouldn't be able to get the most out of without the slow descent. Not to say that I've gone and calculated the possibilities myself, but there are a few instances where he wouldn't be able to move as fast or move quickly for as long under normal physics.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Skilled player (1149)
superjupi wrote:
His vertical movements are hampered a bit, but there are some horizontal speed flights that he wouldn't be able to get the most out of without the slow descent.
Right. He can't sink into some walls in normal physics, the water physics makes him to get more speed.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Then there's also the Dracula Wrath battle, as the water physics allow for more hits to be given.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
I see then. I wonder if this will be the last improvement? I hope not, so far each improvement has been more entertaining than the last.
Skilled player (1402)
Very entertaining... especially after the first reset. Voting yes.
Tub
I still hate almost everything about the game, but the run was great. yes vote.
m00
Kaz
Former player
We've come a long way since that fateful day.
Experienced player (612)
Such a cool run, man. So much action and swift movement, I can vote nothing but yes on this one.
Active player (308)
Yeah, no comments. Just plain YES.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Former player
I thought I should say that this should finally take CotM's Star. It's super optimized now and definitely more entertaining due to the sheer speed and variety.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [995] GBA Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance by zggzdydp in 14:04.85
Editor, Experienced player (730)
OgreSlayeR wrote:
I thought I should say that this should finally take CotM's Star. It's super optimized now and definitely more entertaining due to the sheer speed and variety.
I'm in full agreement with this, and have always been.
Homepage ☣ Retired