Hello Bisqwit, it's NesVideoAgent here.
I created this pseudo-submission from movie #13.
I hope you don't mind ;)
(Don't reply to this message - it is automatically generated.)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #143: Yy's NES Super Mario Bros. "warpless" in 19:26.60
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [13] NES Super Mario Bros. "warpless" by Yy in 19:26.60
Buddybenj
He/Him
Wow first TAS ever (besides the Doom source modifications that included tools for TASing). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Projects: Interested in TASing N64 Mario Golf. GBA Mario Tennis: Power Tour is on hold.
Post subject: Re: First TAS
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Buddybenj wrote:
Wow first TAS ever (besides the Doom source modifications that included tools for TASing). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Uh......... [668] NES Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" by Morimoto in 11:03.95 I'm off to slam my head into a wall now.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Re: First TAS
Buddybenj
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Buddybenj wrote:
Uh......... [668] NES Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" by Morimoto in 11:03.95 I'm off to slam my head into a wall now.
Don't bang your head. :) Indeed that movie is very old and is what got TASing known, however the date on that movie is 2003-11-20 which is not quite as old as the date on this movie which is 2000-06-09 :). It was made almost 2 years before the second TAS. [668] NES Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" by Morimoto in 11:03.95 was actually the 10th TAS. You should look here: http://tasvideos.org/PublicationsFromNewestToOldest.html[/movie]
Projects: Interested in TASing N64 Mario Golf. GBA Mario Tennis: Power Tour is on hold.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Oh how I'm going to continue slamming my head on a wall because you don't get the point. Morimoto's SMB 3 was the first TAS (non doom related) to exist when it was MADE. "This is a historic movie, submitted and obsoleted before the creation of the database-based (and wiki-based) site engine, before July 2004. It was inserted into the database for a history revival project by Bisqwit in autumn 2006." - tasvideos "In 2003, a video of a Japanese player called Morimoto beating the NES game Super Mario Bros. 3 in 11 minutes and performing some other incredible stunts as well started floating around the Internet. It was a very controversial video because not many people knew about tool-assisted speedruns at the time, especially for the NES. Many people felt like they had been cheated when they found out it was done using an emulator. The video, however, gave the inspiration to Joel "Bisqwit" Yliluoma to start a website called NESvideos, which was dedicated to tool-assisted speedruns for the NES." - wikipedia Check and read the facts before you assume stuff. Checkmate.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Spikestuff: So why 13M is marked as date: 2000-06-09? BTW there's also this: http://tasvideos.org/15M.html
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Spikestuff
They/Them
feos wrote:
Spikestuff: So why 13M is marked as date: 2000-06-09? BTW there's also this: http://tasvideos.org/15M.html
DAMMIT PLAYER 3 IS HERE!! Wasn't that because of a glitch. If it was possible to view under NESVideos before the change to TASVideos it would explain more.
feos you crazy
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Buddybenj
He/Him
(Talking to Spikestuff's second post) I don't think you understand. If you read about that TAS it clearly states that it was not the first of its kind, it was just a TAS that became more popular and gained knowledge of TASing, it even says on Wikipedia which you quoted, it also says in the description of the encode on YouTube. As for the revival project the SMB3 tas was also made before the database and added as part of the revival project. The Wikipedia article you sent me I have already read and doesn't state anything about it being the first TAS. Please do not try to derail my original statement of saying "This is the first (non-doom) TAS." Which is true regardless of how you interpret it. You say it was the first to exist when it was made? That makes no sense whatsoever. If something is the first obviously it is the first when it was made! So basically the TAS you are referring to was not the first when it was made. Also that wouldn't matter anyway as I never said it had to be the first when it was made (which like I said doesn't make sence) in your first post you basically implied the TAS you were pointing to was actually the first TAS instead of this. As for making assumptions I don't know what assumption you are talking about, I have read both of those articles you quoted so could you please be more specific? EDIT: I agree with feos, also like feos said you never explained why that TAS was earlier. Look at the date lol.
Buddyben: Why do you believe that a File Date can never be lost, modified, changed, reset? In reality, that event is as trivial as adjusting the computer clock. File dates get screwed up all the time. They are not fully reliable indicators. In this way, your statement is not "true regardless of how you interpret it". Spikestuff: How are you qualifying first? morimoto's was the first seen by many. it is fantasy to assume that no emulator superplays were ever made prior to that one. TASing was so young in November 2003, that without further information, I would sooner believe the dates on those two files are wrong, than believe they are accurate. Three years is quite a lot of timespan for us to not have any records of anything except a few files. But so too, I would never consider morimoto's as the first, when the only claim ever made about it is that it was the first to be seen by a mass audience. I would think the actual lower bound is the date when a console emulator existed that could record and replay input. Let's find that and go from there. N.B. I'm assuming we're talking full-scale. Absolute time, and including superplays that are lost in history, or never submitted here. If we are talking strictly related to the NESvideos/TASvideos database, then these are questions the staff here can definitively answer.
Buddybenj
He/Him
Yes, there are TASes that are known to be created before mirimoto's TAS it even says on Wikipedia (the source that Spikestuff used) and in the TAS videos encode description (and in many other places). The date on the mirimoto TAS is definitely correct as it was uploaded on many sites and became a hit and their was lots of documentation online so te date was known. This TAS however I do not know the exact date but I know it is accurate to some degree, but whether or not the exact day is correct beats me. Since this was added as part of the revival project Bisquit only use information e knew was accurate (to some degree) because the revival project should not contain false information. He knew about the TAS but obviously doesn't know the day it was completed and released to the internet. The file date could have been off by a few days if the database that this TAS was held on had a date error but we know the date is close. If the day was off it may the year (and maybe the month) would be the same and this TAS would still be the first because the next TASis in Feb. 2001.