Movie features

• Emulator used: dega-1.14a-win32
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game.

Plot

Alex is in the park, having a blast with his girl when suddenly a wicked ninja named Hanzo, steals her :( Alex is determined to get her back and gets help from a ninja spirit who becomes one with Alex.

About the run

This was a fun and pretty easy game to work on. I was thrilled to discover that you can zip and wrap when you are on a ladder. when you zip, you simply press left + right and to wrap you press left + right and up/down (depending on which direction you wanna move to). I think these glitches made the run more entertaining.
(Edit: Unfortunately, these glitches only works on ladders and not on ropes and other materials.) About the last boss, maybe you wondered why I did not move towards him earlier for the second round so I could hit him early. The answer is that he will move cowardly backwards so I moved on the earliest frame to prevent him from doing that. Oh and maybe you noticed my swimming was not entirely optimal. Thats due to me manipulating those yellow ninja swimmers because they throw daggers at you and I obviously could not take another hit because I had only 1 HP left.
Edit 2: Thank you very much plusminus. Thanks to your suggestion, I managed to get rid of that long idling in the final area. Your idea saved me 898 frames :)

Bisqwit: Author replaced movie file. Also, took the opportunity to tidy up the submission text layout & markup.

Bisqwit: Author replaced movie file again.

adelikat: Accepting for publication.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1762: AngerFist's SMS Alex Kidd in Shinobi World in 06:33.67
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Well played, short, and I definitely had a WTF moment or two at the glitches. Yes vote.
Well done, well played, short and sweet. The ladder glitches were a definite double-take. I'm more than tired enough to fall asleep, but I'm still awake at the end of the movie, which is high praise. That's a yes vote from me.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Another SMS TAS four days after the last one, while the other hasn't even had a decision reached yet? Man, you're fast! :) I've never played this game, but it definitely looked like you knew what you were doing, and just like the last one, it was short enough to keep my interest going. Those ladder glitches were crazy, too, especially the one in Round 1... Apparently, Alex Kidd's shinobi powers include fucking up reality. Maybe it's those big ears. Shame they didn't help him reach the disappearing platforms fast enough, though. (At least, the first time around. I actually thought this was a mistake until I watched it again and noticed that the first one disappears too fast in the beginning for you to reach it.) This game also features the worst ninjas ever. Running around in broad daylight is one thing, but wearing bright, flamboyant colors is another. No wonder they were so easily defeated! Yes vote. Also, "robster." ;)
- The Green Herring
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Very good run, I liked some of the music in the earlier levels as well as the whole theme in general. I like how Alex has teleporting powers on the ladders. Although I will say that a lot of the SMS games seem to have abusable elements if L+R is used. I suspect its possible to shave a few frames in some places but it would require solid testing. None the less yes vote.
Player (64)
Ah, I'd forgotten what a fun & funny game this is. Nice run! Does the ladder trick not work on ropes at all? EDIT: I hope that edit to the submission was in response to this, and I just didn't miss is before posting. ;) EDIT 2: I'm really sorry to say this, AngerFist, since I definitely want many SMS runs on this site, but after watching a few times I can see at least two improvements. :/ The first is in the very first level: when you hit the 2nd heart box and the green frog guy comes down, you can use him for a damage boost to get up on the platform. I don't think it would save more than 10 frames at best, I was having trouble getting a precision comparison, but from what I could tell it would shave a few off. You can also walljump off the wall of crates instead of jumping on the platform, or walljump off the chest itself to get up on the platform, but these didn't look any faster. The second and much more significant improvement is on 4-2 in the last room with the floating platforms. Running to the right, I was able to use the crystal to damage boost onto the right side of the second disappearing platform, before it went away. Even with the time spent getting a heart or avoiding one of the spiked blocks two rooms back, I think this would surely save time. I'd be perfectly willing to let the first one slide, I probably wouldn't have even bothered posting it here on it's own. But the second one I think would make a few seconds difference at least. (edited yet again for clarity)
Active player (432)
plusminus wrote:
EDIT: I hope that edit to the submission was in response to this, and I just didn't miss is before posting. ;)
It was meant for you :)
plusminus wrote:
EDIT 2: I'm really sorry to say this, AngerFist, since I definitely want many SMS runs on this site, but after watching a few times I can see at least two improvements. :/
Why be sorry? I thank you for finding these improvements. Now about the first one, I am somewhat doubtful about your first suggestion. By all means, feel free to test further to verify if it saves times. The reason why I am doubting is because it takes time before the frog ninja comes at you.
plusminus wrote:
The second and much more significant improvement is on 4-2 in the last room with the floating platforms. Running to the right, I was able to use the crystal to damage boost onto the right side of the second disappearing platform, before it went away. Even with the time spent getting a heart or avoiding one of the spiked blocks two rooms back, I think this would surely save time.
Good call. I did not even thought of taking damage because I only had 1 HP left.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (64)
AngerFist wrote:
Why be sorry? I thank you for finding these improvements.
Well it was kind of a figure of speech. But I guess I am in a hurry to see SMS runs published, haha. (EDIT: Also I wasn't thinking that you could just replace the movie file, durrrr.)
Now about the first one, I am somewhat doubtful about your first suggestion. By all means, feel free to test further to verify if it saves times. The reason why I am doubting is because it takes time before the frog ninja comes at you.
Indeed... if you go frame-by-frame on your movie, Alex hasn't even landed on the first crate by the time the frogman is low enough that you could bump into him. My highly imperfect calculations showed that I saved 4 frames by taking the damage. Not really worth worrying about in any case, unless this game (and Dega's movie format) is really easy to hex-edit. I can test it some more, but it'll have to wait a day or two.
I am beginning to like the whole pcc + angerfist = SMS TAS deal XD I enjoyed this movie, but will with hold my vote until my question is answered (not to be read with a bitchy tone, angerfist! ;) ) On level 2-2, when you go into the water, is it truly faster to go under water, or would you save frames by doing the water jump on top of the water, and then wall jumping to get over any walls that are in your way?
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
sgrunt
He/Him
I've encoded this and put it up on YouTube for the curious without the ability or inclination to use dega. :)
Active player (432)
stickyman05 wrote:
On level 2-2, when you go into the water, is it truly faster to go under water, or would you save frames by doing the water jump on top of the water, and then wall jumping to get over any walls that are in your way?
.. What the hell is wrong with me? Why did I not think of these obvious things? Im redoing from that part as we speak. I appreciate your observation. Edit: It is 468 frames faster to walljump in the water area. Im terribly sorry for this. I honestly simply did not think about it. Im so ashamed of myself.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
AngerFist wrote:
stickyman05 wrote:
On level 2-2, when you go into the water, is it truly faster to go under water, or would you save frames by doing the water jump on top of the water, and then wall jumping to get over any walls that are in your way?
.. What the hell is wrong with me? Why did I not think of these obvious things? Im redoing from that part as we speak. I appreciate your observation. Edit: It is 468 frames faster to walljump in the water area. Im terribly sorry for this. I honestly simply did not think about it. Im so ashamed of myself.
to be honest, i thought you might have found that damage boosting was faster XD just wanted to make sure about it :P anyways, i enjoyed watching the movie so i eagerly await the more-finished product d ^_^ b
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Well done! Vote yes!!!! The ladder bug remenber me NES Mega Man.
ErmacOne Strogonoficamente sensível...
Former player
Even tho I have the cartridge and all that and that I havnt played more then the first lvl and so. :) But I liked it and it was fast.
ermacone wrote:
Well done! Vote yes!!!! The ladder bug remenber me NES Mega Man.
Not just that. You had to kill all the bosses again before the real boss ;)
Wheeeehaaa.. Yaaayy..
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
Decent game I guess but nothing too great. The glitching was cool, reminds me of megaman 1 a little bit. I give it a yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Nice glitches. It's not the most exciting SMS game and I prefer the real Shinobi but it's a good run, the game is short and there are som nice tunes in it.
Experienced player (822)
Good run, but I have a question. In level 1 you use one of the spinner bars to speed up and go towards the right faster, but in the vertical part of level 2 (I think?) you didn't use the 4th bar to do the same thing. Any reason why? Otherwise, I was entertained and think this would be a good movie to bolster our fledgling collection of SMS videos.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Active player (432)
mmbossman wrote:
Good run, but I have a question. In level 1 you use one of the spinner bars to speed up and go towards the right faster, but in the vertical part of level 2 (I think?) you didn't use the 4th bar to do the same thing. Any reason why?
Can you give me a frame number instead please.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Experienced player (822)
I haven't tried compiling Dega yet, so I just watched the youtube version. It's at the 3:20 mark there.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Active player (432)
mmbossman wrote:
I haven't tried compiling Dega yet, so I just watched the youtube version. It's at the 3:20 mark there.
Ah yes, it was slower by 3-4 frames (give or take). Its because of that lodge which is too near for me to keep moving at great speed. Also:
plusminus wrote:
The first is in the very first level: when you hit the 2nd heart box and the green frog guy comes down, you can use him for a damage boost to get up on the platform. I don't think it would save more than 10 frames at best, I was having trouble getting a precision comparison, but from what I could tell it would shave a few off. You can also walljump off the wall of crates instead of jumping on the platform, or walljump off the chest itself to get up on the platform, but these didn't look any faster.
I found a faster way :) I am redoing from 1-1 because I noticed something else that I did not do. The good news is that pcc has offered help and will splice some segments so I wont have to redo the whole run from scratch.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Player (84)
Congratulations to you, Angerfist, all is done. Thank you for your guidance. :) It was a nice run. The ladder glitch looks like the Up+Down Ladder glitch in rockman1, by ending up on the opposite side of the room. Nice discovery. The glitch added a nice touch to a nice run, on a fun looking game. Have to vote yes to this. Thanks to sgrunt for uploading to youtube :)
Active player (432)
Thank you all for your comments. I always encourage opinions (no matter if they are positive or negative) :D Anyway, huge thanks to pcc for being patient with me and splicing all the stages (expect all the boss fights because they would not sync). I redid 1-1 as I noticed 2 timesavers and 2-2 thanks to stickyman05. This new version is 660 frames faster than the former run. So feel free to rewatch my run, enjoy!
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
Player (64)
Nice! I didn't think you could damage boost off of the sword-thrower in 1-1, but apparently you can. Was it the speed boost from the lamppost that made it possible?
Active player (432)
plusminus wrote:
Nice! I didn't think you could damage boost off of the sword-thrower in 1-1, but apparently you can. Was it the speed boost from the lamppost that made it possible?
I just thought, instead of jumping over him, why not damage boost off the sword thrower :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Arc wrote:
natt wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
sgrunt
He/Him
v3 encoding here. EDIT: Congratulations on the acceptance of the second SMS run. I'll get on encoding this for publication.