Submission Text Full Submission Page
This TAS of The Terminator for SEGA Genesis uses many tricks and abilities that none of us ever knew Kyle Reese could do, such as warping through enemies and jumping over terminators that obviously exceed Kyle's height. This movie uses unsuspecting tricks that could not be easily could be done on a real SEGA Genesis.
This game is short, it only consists of 4 levels (5 if you count the TechNoir) Here are what this TAS details are:
-Aims for fastest time
-Abuses Programing Errors in the Game
-Manipulates luck
-Takes Damage to save time
-Plays on hardest difficulty
Notes:
-Until I get the Uzi 9mm it's fastest to jump over the HK's, however it's sometimes impossible because some of them are smart enough to immediately move and then they throw me off and I get hit. These ones I kill with hand grenades.
-Jumping before the robot that fires an Uzi disables it's shots until you get the Uzi (behind it, gotten by jumping behind it: glitch) because I had low heath.
-I lost a few frames from enemies spawning on the 1st level.
Emulator settings: Default

final comments

the run was a bit sloppy, so I'm redoing it. Sorry for the people who voted Yes.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1784: kchrules's Genesis The Terminator in 07:34.97
Player (64)
Man, this game is hellishly difficult. You made nice work of it though. It's too bad he can't walk as fast as he climbs ladders! Great luck manipulation and acrobatics all around. Some questions: when you get the Uzi in level 1, is it still always faster to kill the terminators than to jump over them? I assume so, since you seem to know what you're doing, but I thought I'd ask anyhow... similarly, is it never possible to dodge or just run right through any enemies in further levels? (apart from one or two near staircases) Voting yes.
Some questions: when you get the Uzi in level 1, is it still always faster to kill the terminators than to jump over them? I assume so, since you seem to know what you're doing, but I thought I'd ask anyhow... similarly, is it never possible to dodge or just run right through any enemies in further levels? (apart from one or two near staircases) Voting yes.[/quote] 1. Yes defeating HK's with the Uzi is faster than jumping them. 2. No, The enemies move to soon. With the exception of the exoskeleton in the last level.
Currently working on: -Possibly the Wily Tower (Mega Man the Wily Wars)
Player (70)
Ohhh yes! Long time since I actually wrote something on this site. It's time again though. I have tried my self once to make a run out of this. But I never bothered getting started. I did play around some with it, but never accomplished something this stylish. This game is seriously a bitch. Good to know for others is that if you idle and kill something, especially in the first level, a new enemy will spawn almost instantly. Therefor one must be constantly moving more or less. I played this game as a kid very much. I love what you've done with it. The controllers totally SUCK in this game. Wonder which is worse, Gods or Terminator? Clear YES-vote from my side. Hope this goes to publication. I gladly make the encode my self. ;) Cheers for this.
Thanks for your support!
Senior Moderator
kchrules wrote:
Jumping before the robot that fires an Uzi disables it's shots until you get the Uzi because I had low heath.
Was the resulting strategy faster than preserving some health by taking less hits throughout the previous part of the stage? Also, I'm curious, were you using frame advance for this run? Your button press patterns during score tallies and, say, shooting the guys at the second-to-last stage were quite erratic, and overall I wasn't convinced of perfection throughout the movie. Also, you took so many hits while running straight lines that it made me wonder what exactly were the tools needed for in this run. And the straight lines themselves were the staple of the game's level design, making most of the run as complex as holding left/right for a few hundred frames in a row. Sorry, but I'm not impressed at all. :\ Voting no.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Experienced player (822)
Some thoughts (about the game in general): - They only hired one guy to design the below ground enemies in level 1. He took a picture of Arnold as Mr. Universe, painted it orange, and decided to put 10 million down there. - Time bombs send Arnold flying, but amazingly do nothing to the character. - Being able to use the gun and run at the same time would be confusing and too hard for a video game, so they left it out. - The (lack of) fluidity that the main character exhibits is just amazing. I've treated spastic stroke patients who have had less jerky motion. - It was fun to see the guy die at the end. Just cuz I knew it was over then. It looked well done, but it just seriously bored me. There's tons of hallways with either too many enemies, or none at all. The mechanics give the game a jerky feeling, and I just simply not entertained. I saw the rerecord number, and at first thought it would be entirely sloppy, but this game is so straight forward that less than 1000 rerecords actually makes sense. Don't let this discourage you though, just try to pick a game with more substance next time.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Expert player (2459)
This is not a bad game choice. It's just played badly. For example, it is possible to go through the big robot in the beginning instead of slowly killing it: No need to kill Arnold either: Voting "no", because of sloppy playing and missed opportunities.
Post subject: Re: #1784: kchrules's Genesis The Terminator in 07:34.97
NesVideoAgent wrote:
kchrules: the run was a bit sloppy, so I'm redoing it.
Good luck, it's not an easy game to tas!
How do you pass the Machine at the begining?
You just need to jump at a correct time. It is very hard to do. :) (I did it when the machine reached the right side and started moving back to the left.)
This helps thanks.
Post subject: Killing it is faster
The big robot being killed was faster than skipping it, I would of had to wait so I don't die X0