Emulator used

FCE Ultra 0.98.16

General info

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses warps
In this movie[1] there is a 181 frame improvement over the previous Mario run by Phil.

Improvements

• Stage 1-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 5-1, 8-1, 8-2 and 8-3[2] are all 21 frames faster due to the flagpole trick/glitch.
  • Stage 8-4 is more optimized and done 13 frames faster.
21 * 8 + 13 = 181.

Footnotes

[1] Despite of that the checksum of the rom with which this movie was recorded is different from the one of the rom with which most of the other SMB2j movies are recorded on this site, I guess this movie can be played with most of SMB2j ROMs. Why is there no GoodFDS existing?
[2] I almost didn't beat the 21 frame barrier in Stage 8-3. However I made it at last.
[3] I found a strange glitch in Stage 4-4 that I killed the "fake Bowser" on the bridge with only 4 fireballs.

adelikat: Accepting & Encoding.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I'm not even sure which ROM I actually tried. Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1803: klmz's FDS Super Mario Bros. 2 in 08:09.23
Skilled player (1885)
You seem to have submitted the same movie twice. (check the workbench and you'll see). So it's up to you which one you want to cancel. ;)
Editor, Active player (296)
Randil wrote:
You seem to have submitted the same movie twice. (check the workbench and you'll see). So it's up to you which one you want to cancel. ;)
I'll go ahead and delete the second one! So as not to leave an ackward gap in the numbers.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Nice improvements. I like that there some improvements other than the flagpole glitch. Yes vote. Also, mario must have a real headache after 8-4 D:
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Remind me to not browse forums when I've been awake for less than two minutes. I just horribly confused myself thinking this was a duplicate of Deign's run, and that Bisqwit deleted the wrong submission. I'm gonna go drink a pot of coffee, start some laundry, then come back and watch this after my brain is awake.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
The flagpole glitch wave is rippling thru all SMB games with the same engine. Nice discovery klmz! This run entertaining to watch like most SMB TAS! Voting YES!
I obviously wasn't awake enough, as I attempted to wash my laundry with fabric softener, rather than detergent. Now that I have my wits about me, I can confidently vote yes on this submission. As though you'd expect otherwise.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Experienced player (699)
I still am curious if this is possible in the SNES version and whether or not people will be able to do it and then get onto the flagpole backwards.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Active player (410)
He get a better randomness at 8-4 for he 1st fireball, that's probably where he did gained most of his 13 frames. In my version the randomness was so bad that I was forced to lose many frames there. And that's why when people asked me if the Mario run is perfect, I did answer "I doubt it". Well, nice improvement. What's next in your todo list? SMB2j warpless? Edit: About difference in checksum, it's because of the shadow image that FCEU loads. It's something that needs to be fixed. Edit 2: About the 4 hits on Bowser, it's alreay in our SMB1 warpless, I think. I think I have an idea why it happens, I will try to prove my idea later.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
I don't think I'll TAS any more SMB1 or SMB2j movies in weeks because I'm tired of getting Mario to jump into walls to earn just a few frames. However, I'd like to know what happened with Bowser. :)
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Active player (410)
Oh, I was about to ask you if you were interested to TAS SMB1 or SMB2j warpless with me.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1031] FDS Super Mario Bros. 2 "warps, Mario" by klmz in 08:09.23
Active player (410)
I did rated 4 for entertainment, I think the run could be more polished. It looks too rushed. 1. There are too many unnecessary annoying jumps. 2. At 5-2, the upper part was used when the lowest was better. 3. No graphical glitch at 8-2 like I did. 4. There are some places where it is possible to achieve some combos with enemies that isn't seen in this run. Imo, if the author could improve the entertainment of this movie by doing a revision, it would be much appreciated.
Expert player (2453)
Wow,klmz,you are great!!!
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Banned User
Hello I can not run the ROM of Mario Bros (The Lost Levels) (J). FDS how do I do?