This movie beats the current published one by Sami by 15056 frames (4 minuts 11 seconds)
  • Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.13 (watch it in 13 or 15, the game doesn't work at all in 16)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Manipulates luck

Why this game

I decided to take on my first bigger challenge by trying to improve an already published movie. After some thoughts about which game to choose it suddenly just appeared to me - Why don't try it with one of my favorite games of all time, StarTropics!?

Game Plot

Mike - the main character - is a 15 years old base ball player who comes to visit his uncle who lives on a tropical island. But once he comes there he is told that his uncle has been kidnapped and it's up to Mike himself to bring him back.

Technical things about the Game

The game is quite similar to the "Legend of Zelda" games. You play it in two modes, one where you're in the tunnels - kinda similar to the dungeons in Zelda - where you face enemies, and are of course able to attack them. The other is when you're walking in less dangerous areas and your only action is to be able to talk to people. For more info, especially about the weapons, take a look at Sami's submisson page.

My thoughts of it

To me, the greatness of this game lies within it's difficulty. I promise that if you're playing it for the first time and don't use any walkthroughs or other cheats, it will take you a good time to get through it. It contains two of the greatest riddles (I think) in game history, even though one is kinda destroyed if you play it on emulator, and for most of the tunnels, you have to do something unexpected in order to get through them.

A small necessary spoiler

As we all know who have beaten this game, it has a great ending. However, in this run you want see it all since I'm abusing a programming error which cuts about half of it. I won't tell about it in detail but just don't wait for the full ending ok.

8 Frame Rule

This was a feature I discovered early in the TAS. It works about the same as the 21 frame rule in SMB. Basically it works in the way that the screen can only start to black out in a frame dividable by 8, sometimes it's differs by one frame but that's basically how it works. I think I managed to gain a few seconds by having the knowledge of this mechanism as I from here will refer to as 8FR.

Improvement

Gained 8 frames due to faster naming of the character (think 8FR helped a bit too)

Prelude

Coralcola
96 frames gained due to some luck manipulation with the people.
Island Tunnel
47 frames gained due to frame better frame optimization.

Dolphins

Octo's Lair
326 frames gained, mostly because I didn't take the snow doll, very time consuming.
After the Tunnel
6 frames lost due to 8FR.

Storm and Calm

Cave to Miracola
152 frames gain mainly due to better result of luck manipulation.
Miracola
40 frames gained due to forcing the people to go where I want them to!
Magma's Molten Tunnel
128 frames gained due to beter strategies I would say.
Ghost Tunnel
400 frames gained due to lots of luck manipulation!
Ghost village after getting the crystal ball
64 frames gained cause I walked up instead of right.
West Cave
40 frames gained by a better optimized walkthrough
Hermit's Mountain
72 frames gained due to smaller improvments here and there.

Confession

Code sequence
8 frames gined due to faster input of the code, actually I inputed the code 12 frames faster but then they paid a visit to Mr 8FR and where reduced.

Captain Bell

Bellcola
96 frames gained due to... well, you can guess huh?
Captain Bell's cave
435 frames gain by not taking the extra hearts in the falling bridge room and better handling of the bowling balls etc.

Reunion

Turboss Caverns
612 frames gained (!) due to better strategies for about every room.
Big Rock Tunnel
176 frames gained - strategies.

Alien Spaceship

Warp to Jet-Pack Jumper
32 frames gained, slightly better boss fight.
Ostroid's Domain
136 frames gains, simply by doing things faster:)

Final Battle

Control Center
Lots of frames gained!
The boss at the beginning is worth to mention. It could seem like it has different health every time you face it. Sami killed this with 52 shots, I killed it with 4:). Simply only one of the shots for each iteration takes damage. And after beating the last boss, prepare for a surprice - not very funny one, but indeed effective! I ended the input when the screen started to black out, thought it was best so.

Almost forgot

Big thanks to Sami who made me aware of many cool things, which surly made this movie better than it would've been otherwise.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Startropics (U).nes
  • I updated it to Startropics (U) [!].nes

Bisqwit: A commendable improvement over existing movie. Accepting, and claiming for encoding. Also fixed up the submission markup...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1807: Aglar's NES StarTropics in 1:01:32.37
Former player
Pretty nice dude. When I were making this, I notised that "credits" glitch and I didin't use it. Its too sudden...game stops instantly and it cuts first part of credits away. Acutally I did that credit glitch faster than you...during the battle. But its nice uppdate so I vote yes =)
Current Projects: ???
Expert player (3566)
Ok, I thought I was the pioneer of that glitch since I couldn't find any info about it at all:) I decided to include it because I've seen that lots of movies use glitches that make them more optimized, so I thought it wouldn't be wrong to have this. If many people want it, I can of course take it away and complete the game normally. I'll just wait to see if this gets positive response.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Yes vote, faster and more entertaining... I love the way you skipped the first boss battle
Sorry, my english is really bad...
Expert player (3566)
I love the way you skipped the first boss battle
This was actually taken from Sami's run so save your thanks for him. But I agree, when it comes to cheap time-saving tricks, this is probably the highlight of the movie.
feos wrote:
I loved Sami's run and I love this run even more. The moonwalking in front of the mummies was great! Yes vote!
Active player (440)
I've heard of this game before but never played it or seen it in action. It looks like the bastard child of The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior - with hilariously funny dialogue and the nuclear obliteration of the fourth wall. Regardless I enjoyed watching this run. Looked optimal (I'm guessing the controls aren't that tight?), good pacing for casual watching and was entertaining, even with that annoying text-scroll sound. This was a nice choice of game to TAS (haven't seen Sami's run). Voting yes for an entertaining run. Selecting items to the music around frame 31000 was awesome. You did a great job on this run.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
good job
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
NESVideoAgent fails at life again. 10/17 images on room transitions? ^^;; As for the ending, all I have to say is... Dude, wait...what?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
I had the ending thing happen to me a year or two ago by accident. That was the first time I played it on an emulator and I thought there was something wrong with the rom!
I think you should include more information about the game itself. I don't know what kind of game it is, or what it's about. Though I can find out when I watch the movie, I'd still like to know what to expect :) Edit: I found this to be a (surprisingly) entertaining movie. I haven't actually heard of this game. They do tend to keep things interesting and the story is actually pretty cool. I didn't use the fast-forward feature at all, and that's hard to do on something an hour long. Yes vote from me. Also, I vote to get a screenshot that isn't one of the ones NESVideoAgent put up... kinda funny over half of them ended up being transitions...
Great job on the movie. I find it pretty entertaining to watch even when I don't know half the game. You make the bosses seem like they're easy to take care of. The only little problem I have is why you use slot 2 to start the game, is there some sort of reason for that? Anyways, great job! Would vote yes If I wasn't a lurker.
Emulator Coder
Entertaining run. I didn't fast-forward nearly as much as I expected to, being that I beat the game on a console. Yes vote.
Expert player (3566)
I think you should include more information about the game itself. I don't know what kind of game it is, or what it's about. Though I can find out when I watch the movie, I'd still like to know what to expect :)
Added now, together with other stuff.
The only little problem I have is why you use slot 2 to start the game, is there some sort of reason for that?
Yup it is:) By doing it this way I can write and push down at the same time and gain one frame! And due to 8 frame rule it I gained 8 frames by doing it!
feos wrote:
Skilled player (1670)
HURRY HURRY! RUN RUN! HURRY HURRY! RUN RUN! I wonder what the designers really were thinking when they added a spaceship in the end of the game. Oh well. Yes-vote.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Editor, Active player (296)
I think it's actually sad that the game cuts abrupt like that. Poor Arconians, you doomed their race into extinction :( (Who?) I think I'll keep the old torrent functional for those who want to see the real ending and credits.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1034] NES StarTropics by Aglar in 1:01:26.30
Player (29)
The torrent doesn't seem to work.
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Brilliant work, I love this game. I will 99% vote yes, but I haven't finished watching it yet. I believe that in the room with 5 slugs, you only have to kill 2 to open the door, but this might only apply to the second game. I wish I had more information on that. Are you doing Star Tropics 2 as well? EDIT: Yes vote. How did you skip the ending like that?
Expert player (3566)
Brilliant work, I love this game. I will 99% vote yes, but I haven't finished watching it yet. I believe that in the room with 5 slugs, you only have to kill 2 to open the door, but this might only apply to the second game. I wish I had more information on that. Are you doing Star Tropics 2 as well? EDIT: Yes vote. How did you skip the ending like that?
You mean the room with six slugs (the second in tunnel 1)? I looked that one up in game faqs it said you had to kill them all. But indeed if you think I overdid some rooms, you're welcome to tell - since I'm planning to do a bettering of this in a distant future. I won't do StarTropics 2 since I didn't like that game nearly as much as the first one. For the ending glitch I haven't really done any deeper research, in some way it seems that the faster you kill the boss - the the bigger the chance to glitch. I didn't actually try to "non-glitch" the boss that much to see if it has any specific connection with the timer but that would be my theory for now.
feos wrote:
Can someone explain how this ending glitch works, please?
Former player
Im not sure its so weird but sometimes if you start hitting the final boss right time, game stops and credits starts...
Current Projects: ???
Expert player (3566)
Can someone explain how this ending glitch works, please?
I've done some (not much) further studies on this and what I noticed is written below. You need to perform the final blow within a certain amount of time to make it work, not sure about the exact time but it's clearly faster than I think anyone has beaten him on the cart. If you beat him within this time, it depends on various things whether it will glitch or not - such as your position, his position etc. I guess what the glitch does is to activate some kind of flag that is supposed to be set at the "The End" screen. There's no music since it is supposed to be started at the beginning of the credits, a sequence which is skipped here. Good for everyone - it works without music and doesn't freeze or something like that. Now it instead saves your life for three minutes:)
feos wrote:
Aglar wrote:
But indeed if you think I overdid some rooms, you're welcome to tell - since I'm planning to do a bettering of this in a distant future.
I'm been trying to record some speedruns of this game, and I noticed that at least once I managed to get past the 6 mummy room in the graveyard by leaving 2 alive rather than just 1. Looking at the video, I'll explain further. The starting points of the 6 are like this: upper left upper right middle left middle right lower left lower right I killed UL-UR-ML-MR, and then the door opened.
Expert player (3566)
Yes, I did a test of this and it worked, nice find:) I've tried to find appropriate memory addresses that reveal whether an enemy must be killed to open the door but with no success unfortunately, only some counters that tick down regardless of what enemy you kill. Another thing that will improve the run, which I found quite a long time ago, is that you, in the first village Coralcola, don't need to talk to the boy who says that Mike is a good baseball player or something.
feos wrote: