Submission Text Full Submission Page
Toxic Caves
Improved superspin at the start, and then useful glitch to get into the upper pinball chambers without the need to drain the slime. Now for the biggest improvement of the run, utilizing some weird bouncing glitch to gain access to the boss chamber without the need to collect any emeralds. Since I enter different the strategy had to be altered slightly. Firstly I don’t go to the top using the warp chamber, I have to flip Sonic up there, and secondly the timing of the warp chamber above me was not in my favour at this earlier moment in time. I had to avoid it grasping Sonic for one of the bounces, slowing it down a little.
One minute saved here, largest contribution.
Bonus Levels
Faster suicides on all of them
Lava Powerhouse
I found a way to ricochet sonic just after bouncing off the cork, few frames saved there. The steam vent immediately after took only 7 puffs rather than 8 to get Sonic to the top. When entering the next pinball chamber, the bounce off the robot took less time. Repeating the process for the second cork was a lot harder on this side, couldnt quite get it as efficient for both attempts. Then again, even the regular method took longer to do on this side than the other; so it's probably not an exact mirrored image. Boss taken down faster, couple of seconds saved on this level
The Machine
The parts I did faster on this level dont actually matter, since I've got to wait for the blasted mechanism to finish rotating anyway
Showdown
Such a shame, I wanted this to be so much faster. I discovered a nice little trick to get an emerald early, but doing it this way actally stopped me from using a passage. The path leading to the emerald on the left is still blocked off by a clucker, who wont move until you bust all the blocks. But since I just grabbed that emerald anyway, why would I want to do that? Looks like I have to go back to the main chamber and then all the way round again. What's even more annoying about him is that he's also blocking off the fastest overhead route! The new route it still faster though, and once I get this emerald and slide down to the pinball area; I'm faced with the exact same problem again. He's blocking the intended exit, so I had to find another way out. Still works out to be faster than the original method, but by only a small margin I'm afraid. Faster method to chaos emerald #4, standard route to 5, and then a faster way up onto the ship. Final improvement here, an earlier end to frame input.

adelikat Looks like you've been bested.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1808: Flip's Genesis Sonic Spinball in 08:24.63
emu
Active player (380)
Good finds Flip! You should maybe mention somewhere, that your version is nearly 30 seconds faster, than the currently published version ;) The most noticable improvements, where in the first level and the input end. Great run. (still don't like the game though)
Impressive, 2 improvements for a long unobsoleted run, one after the other. Voting yes, don't suppose you have any frame comparisons to mmbossman's movie?
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Experienced player (822)
I'm so torn. The glitch in level one is of course great, I was amazed when you first showed it off, and it sure makes that first dull level go by fast. The route change was very interesting, and it sure feels faster than mine. Also, the ending input when you still have 7 hits left is incredible, I tried to end mine earlier, but couldn't quite get it right (I think I ended it with 2 hits left). But I'm torn because when the level 1 glitch was discovered I made a very thorough first level, with probably 2500 rerecords to get everything as early as possible. But I didn't go any further because I wasn't sure what else you'd throw in your movie. My WIP is 233284 frames faster than this submission at the start of level 2:( Just goes to show how I just aimed at beating the original published movie's time, and didn't concentrate hard enough on frame perfection the first time around (shame on me for being a lazy TASer). I'm going to withhold my vote, I guess, and maybe try to bump this to the top of my list to see what else I can do with it. Still, awesome job Flip, many many props for finding some great new ideas.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Great improvement + Yes vote
Nice, maybe I should watch this EDIT: Yes vote
"No love for the game gear"
Player (66)
The glitch in the Toxic Caves is astounding. I like how you get the first and third Emeralds in Lava Powerhouse quickly. Nothing to say about The Machine I liked your alternate paths within Showdown. Yes vote!
about the cluck hindering your progress in the showdown... Are you sure that hitting it once, falling down to the flipeprs and going out again won't get you through before it respawns?
Emulator Coder
I found that Toxic Caves physics inversion an interesting find for a pinball game. Definately entertaining.
Zakatos
He/Him
Best part for me is getting to the boss at level 1 without any Emeralds :P Great improvement. Yes vote.
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
Zakatos wrote:
Best part for me is getting to the boss at level 1 without any Emeralds :P
Seconded. Flip, when you found the glitch did you realise you could bounce all the way to the boss chamber straight away, or was you just trying to find a different route to an emerald? I'm always impressed with these type of glitches :) Anyway, a special lurker 'yes' vote from me.
Skilled player (1533)
Well, I was originally searching that area for a way to glitch one of the emeralds, then I found that spot. Oddly enough I didn't automatically assume I could use that spot to defy the law of physics :) Anyways, the cluck problem mentioned on level 4 cannot be passed: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/416998972/SS-Testing.gmv When Sonic goes up that chute it automatically changes his stance. He stops rolling and starts doing an upwards dive; which is slower. I try to shoot up, but he respawns too fast. Immediately after landing, you may notice I try sliding up the path on the far left, but get stopped by a wall, so that passage doesnt work either.
Experienced player (822)
I just finished up my run, and managed to achieve a time of 7 minutes, 59 seconds, and 57 frames. I want to check and make sure I can't squeeze any more time out of the last 300 frames or so, but be expecting a submission in the next 24 to 48 hours.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Looking forward to it.
"No love for the game gear"