This is the Sega Master System version of Ninja Gaiden. It is similar to the NES version but has a some significant differences. The usual wall jump/wall climb has been replaced with a NES Batman style Wall jump. The fire wheel lasts much longer in this version. It has some new weapons (though some aren't represented in this movie).
This was my first experience with the Sega Master System (Never owned or played one) and my first experience with the Dega emulator.
I chose this game because it is a fast paced game with lots of TAS possibilities. The character moves fast (especially for a SMS game), there are a variety of weapons, and a nice variety of levels & enemies.
The major draw back is the boss fights. Unfortunately they have a rather long invulnerablity time and you can only do 1 dmg per hit. I think overall though, it is still a very entertaining movie.
For those who followed the thread, this movie is 55.2 seconds faster than my test movie. In addition, it has a lot more entertainment value added in as well.

ROM

There is some confusion about the correct rom of this game. The correct rom is Ninja Gaiden (E) [!].sms according to GoodSMS 3.13. But there are some labeled just (UE) that are actually the prototype rom.
Some are labled "Type A" and "Type B" as well. Type B is the correct one in this case.
This run will not sync with the Type A (prototype) ROM.

Basic Mechanics & Tricks

• Jumping - Unfortunately you can not control the height of a jump.
  • Bombs - pressing buttons 1 & 2 simultaneously unleashes a bomb that kills all enemies or does 1 dmg to a boss and takes about 6 health points away from the character. It also does damage regardless if the boss is its invulnerable state. I can use this to land 2 quick hits. So I save enough health for the bosses as that is when the bombs are most profitable.
  • Weapons - the fire wheel is the most useful weapon for TASing. It allows the player to be invulernable to just about anything, including spikes,fire, and other damaging terrain. The 2nd most useful is the 4 directional ninja star. This is especially useful on some bosses. You will see that I lose the firewheel and gain this weapon for the level 4 boss. This is much faster overall, even though I have to slow down in some places in the level and in level 5 until I regain the fire wheel.
  • Getting inside a floor - If you jump at the right time you can hit the edge of a corner and fall inside the wall for a few frames. The game then ejects you to the left. You can't stay in the wall however. But, in those few frames you are in it, you can jump. I use this to make a few jumps that would normally not be possible.
  • Damage boosting - classic ninja gaiden technique. I take damage in order to boss myself to some ledges that I normally couldn't reach. This saves some good time in a number of places.

Summary

• Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Take damage to save time
  • Genre: Action

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Ninja Gaiden (UE) type B.sms
  • I updated it to Ninja Gaiden (E) [!].sms

Truncated: Good viewer response, even though the game looks a bit clumsy. Accepting.
Bisqwit: Processing. With adelikat.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1830: adelikat's SMS Ninja Gaiden in 15:04.25
Experienced player (822)
Overall, I liked it. The platforming was great as usual, but the bosses, except for the great level 5, did get a bit repetitive (not your fault, I know).The game didn't blow me away but I was sufficiently entertained for a yes vote. Oh, and those skeletons in level 5 need to lay off the beer and doughnuts, and get on a treadmill instead of wandering aimlessly. Whata gut.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Good ninja action. No more, no less.
Skilled player (1149)
Er... I'm not familiar with the game. Some parts look not very smooth as those NES version, are they optimal? The game is pretty good, some damage taking are nice. Yes vote.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
I couldn't get this to sync until I stopped using (UE) [!] and started using (UE) [a1] [!], according to what my roms came labelled as, so I don't know if you used the right rom, my roms' labelling is outdated, or if this is fine as is. Movie itself was lots of fun, it's a shame the bosses couldn't have been done in any faster but I liked what I saw there despite! Levels were run through pretty darn cleanly and at a nice, brisk pace, and the floating bosses were better fun. I yessed it!
Experienced player (822)
Worked fine for me using "Ninja Gaiden (E) [!].sms", according to GoodSMS 3.13.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
entertaining. yes vote here
Has never colored a dinosaur.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
I have both desyncs with (UE) [!] in the first level and (UE) [a1] [!] in the second level. Maybe something's wrong with my clrmamepro's data file.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
I liked it, pretty good game play and graphics for a SMS games. Yes for me.
Yes vote from me
"No love for the game gear"
Good stuff. I didn't like the fight against the second to last boss though, looked sloppy with Ryu falling into lava and such. This game seemed kinda rushed btw, some backgrounds and enemy designs were really plain.
Player (29)
I'm not sure how, but the Master System version manages to look worse than the NES version. o_o
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1057] SMS Ninja Gaiden by adelikat in 15:04.25
Active player (435)
Ugh...published too quick. I haven't voted yet. Now I'll never be able to watch it. Stop publishing movies before I can watch them. This is rediculous!
I'm sciencing as fast as I can ! ______________________________________ <adelikat> once more balls enter the picture, everything gets a lot more entertraining <adelikat> mmmmm yummy penises
what emulator was used ?
Run..Run...Run.....
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
i know, i meant what version of the emulator, because i have some movies working only with dega 1.16. and others movies only working with 1.15 and 1.14 for me it worked with 1.15, i havent tested with 1.16
Run..Run...Run.....