Hello TASvideos, it's been a while again!

About my run

This is my story about fighting against the game's laws and psychics. i want to tell you clearly things that i did and didn't do.
When i started this project i wasn't sure how much it can be improved and what different problems, things i am going to face in my journey. I was really amazed after starting this project how you can detect certain lag points by sliding, charging, even pressing right,down while sliding sometimes.
I think some of you are wondering and so on why my re-record count is so high but there's a clear explanation for it.
- I am calm but stubborn person in a certain ways because i love to overdue my projects with great amount of caution. When i faced problems with this game, i got really excited and i tried to use every button-combos even weird ones that came to my mind to see if i can find something unexpected that helps. This way worked the most but it caused a lot of extra work and re-records. I can't say any other reason for my different way of working.

About the game

This game may look really simple and easy but that thought isn't correct its hard, laggy, feed out of bugs, filled of randomness kind of game.

Laws

Sub-pixel position isn't a big problem actually you don't need to worry about it so much expect if you face 1-2 frame of lag-points but they can be simply avoided by pressing A near of the edge or charging your weapon. If i had problems where i lost frame or two i simple stopped sliding somewhere and repeated that until i get the right or faster frame to land.
For the bosses i entered the door in different position or in a different frame to get good distance.

Goals

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck

Here's the improvements for each stage

Saved Difference
Flameman 127 127
Blizzardman 49 176
Plantman 117 293
Tomahawkman 144 437
Yamatoman 20 457
Knightman 19 476
Centaurman 60 536
Windman 43 579
Mr.X Stage 1 16 595
Mr.X Stage 2 20 615
Mr.X Stage 3 30 645
Mr.X Stage 4 42 687
Dr. Wily Stage 1 191 879
Dr. Wily Stage 2 7 886
Dr. Wily Stage 3 150 1036
Dr. Wily Stage 4 31 1067

Special information about the stages and work

I found improvements from the each stage but they were yet insanely hard to find.
I tried to change the game route example. start with the windman stage first and use buster in the boss fight, for some reason sliding, charging was much slower if compared to Flameman fight.

Flameman

One of the stages that haves much lag and randomness, i tried to solve myself out from that puzzle. Later i realized that you can reduce lag by sliding (or charge your buster faster) this technique worked best in the Flameman fight for some reason.
AngerFist thought a little faster way to the third screen, but randomness forced me to gain only "2 frames" for a while and after that everything was lost and much more.

Blizzardman

Simple stage with a high load of lag, i realized how to use flameman's weapon to minimize lag better

Plantman

Well.. one of the stages that caused me to take a little break because there was many ways to improve things and i need to test them all out. For the boss i found a good way to less lag.

Tomahawkman

I decicated to use Buster instead of Flame weapon because it wasn't so slow as it looks and it handled the lag much more better and smoother in the end.

Yamatoman

Nothing special, tried to fight against lag that flying enemies made a lot.

Knightman

This was a weird stage, i won or lost frames there and there and i need to do that level couple of times to see what is the fastest way to beat the level.

Centaurman

I found out that you change the gameway bit and you were able slip below the pelican and continue your sliding. I took damage instead of waiting charging buster in the room with two mine enemies.

Windman

In the fifth screen i didn't take damage and i used a bit different route because it changed the gameway a bit later so i was able to skip lag-points. I also realized that its better to walk/jump near of the moving enemies to detect lag.

Mr. X Stage 1

I didn't expect to find any improvements from the stage but i tried to change weapon in a different time and jump lower or higher while using megajet.

Mr. X Stage 2

Didn't expect to see improvements here but i had good luck and i found a few little things out that can help you to go forward.

Mr. X Stage 3

I had to minimize lag from everywhere by sliding, shooting and so on with millions of different strategies.

Mr. X Stage 4

Same goes to here just minimizing the lag and prey for a good luck, in the end i found out a better techniques to minimize lag there and there.

Dr. Wily Stage 1

I changed weapon straight way to yamatoman's weapon instead of buster and then to yamato again. Weapon changes takes much time to do so i was curious and it was a good idea in the end.
For the boss i found the key route so i was able to get that elevator to spawn so fast as possible and shoot every time as possible.

Dr. Wily Stage 2

Only got few frames from the stage and they come from the enemies that are in the end of the stage.

Dr. Wily Stage 3

Found a technique that saves a lot of time in the boss re-fights. I Changed my weapon after i defeated the boss because i realized that it tooks much more time to change your weapon outside of the bossroom expect between Centaurman and Windman because it appeared to be 30-40 frames slower.

Dr. Wily Stage 4

"i came from the base and i aim to the wily's base." I found a good way to hit huge machine wily 5 frames faster while trying to hit second time.
I manipulated flying wily to the right upper corner to shoot from more far away to "shoot earlier."

Special thanks goes to..

• Kopernical, For making historical yet enjoyable Mega Man runs existed in the TAS world.
  • Kyrsimys, For doing a great (route) no damage run that was really exciting to watch.
  • AngerFist & Adelikat, For their tightly optimized run and great work made together.
  • Randil, Being friendly and supported my work.
  • FinalFighter, For he's tips and strategies.
  • Bisqwit, For he's great community and being friendly to everyone.
  • And to all TASvideos users

Bisqwit: Tidied up the submission message markup. And accepting for publication and claiming for processing!
Bisqwit: Changing ROM name to aid NVA's ROM matching feature.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Megaman VI (U).nes
  • I updated it to Megaman VI (U) [!].nes

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1887: Shinryuu's NES Mega Man 6 in 30:54.55
Former player
I've been watching this project from the start and it's awesome. Great job shin ;) Big YES vote.
Current Projects: ???
You evil bastard, now it'll be another half an hour before I go to sleep. Oh well, I'll most likely be voting 'yes' in about half an hour if I bother to vote. Edit: As I assumed I would, voting yes. Oddly enough, maybe because I haven't seen a Megaman run for a while now, the whole run seemed to move really fast. Anywho, great job.
Skilled player (1885)
Shinryuu, You are awesome and I vote yes. Thumbs up!
Experienced player (822)
I've never been, and assume I never will be, super entertained by Megaman runs. There's probably something innately wrong with me. But it was entertaining enough, and the sheer volume of optimization that went into it surely deserves a yes.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
This is nice run.
DiffCalc .NET Frameworks 3.5 required.
juef
He/Him
Player (131)
Beautiful! This run is awesome, and yet much flaming occurs... Flame Man's flame, of course! ... I promise never to try again making such bad a pun! Yes vote, of course!
Great run; Mega Man 6 will always be my favorite since it is the first I owned, played, and beat. For a long time, I thought that you needed flight to get past flame man's oil pits, but you just jumped over them!
Editor, Experienced player (729)
But you, good sir, did not fail. I haven't watched a good Megaman run since.... gosh, Quadrun? Wowzee! long time! I still will never figure out how a NES Megaman movie of 30 minutes takes the cake with 212,000 rerecords, but just goes to show there is nothing you won't test til the ends of the earth. How would you like your yes vote? On a platter served by virgins, entwined in 13 sexy anacondas that are mating, or 1st class?
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
^^^ Apparently ComicalFlop is going to be handing you your Yes vote on a platter personally. Great run. Obvious Yes vote. Break the 30 minute mark already!
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor, Experienced player (729)
Why me personally? You're booked? Kidding aside, stop insulting people on a whim, and more people will like you. I know that's not what you want, but it's what *we* want, and we want you to stop being such an asshole all the time, because if you take that part away then you're still a down to earth guy who knows his video games really well.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Experienced player (538)
Comicalflop wrote:
But you, good sir, did not fail. I haven't watched a good Megaman run since.... gosh, Quadrun? Wowzee! long time! I still will never figure out how a NES Megaman movie of 30 minutes takes the cake with 212,000 rerecords, but just goes to show there is nothing you won't test til the ends of the earth. How would you like your yes vote? On a platter served by virgins, entwined in 13 sexy anacondas that are mating, or 1st class?
"Of course ;)" But here's some clear answers for your "question" First, this game haves really much lag also mechanism, programming, randomness is really weird in this game. If you combine these few facts you're going to have thousands of different tiny strategies to choose if you can find them out. I tried to test them all out possible, that's the main reason for my high re-record. This is totally different game if compared to previous Mega Man series. Second, I'm a stubborn person who loves to work really hard. I figured many things out from this game after and after when i moved forward. My own ideas are running in my mind like a rain in a stormy night, i often did some unexpected movements in a purpose in a particular places where i was sure they can help me to see if something good happens and it did help me. Third, You had to test many ways when you beat up the bosses first time, there is a possibility to handle lag out really well but first you need to do these : correct your position, boss's position, time a good place where lag isn't so high, walk right, slide or shoot in a right time.
Very nice. Easy Yes vote.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Expert player (3566)
Thank you very much! Just what I need after a devilish exam, will surely watch when I get home.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Editor, Active player (296)
Out of NES Mega Man games, probably the most graphically impressive one. With fluent scrolling and climbing. The actions in this movie are also very fluent, and the action does not ever stall in this movie, despite the challenges thrown at the player. My vote is obviously a "yes".
Very cool. Can't remember the last time Mega Man was submitted. While the nostalgia-rating isn't as big for this one than, say, MM2 the run was still smooth and action-packed. Clear yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
Incredible movie! Congratulations on finally finishing this.
Wow! This movie is amazing! A definite yes vote from me... well, when I find the yes button.
I vote yes, but is it really necessary? : )
Skilled player (1402)
Nice improvement, yes vote :)
I started played the Mega Man series since Mega Man 2. As with most (if not all) people here, I think this run is fast and entertaining. A big YES vote from me! Thank you Shinryuu for all the hard work that was put into making this run!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Couple spots I'm curious about, if nothing else.
Dr. Wily Stage 1 For the boss i found the key route so i was able to get that elevator to spawn so fast as possible and shoot every time as possible.
Is that why you jumped high into the door before you entered the boss room?
Dr. Wily Stage 3 Found a technique that saves a lot of time in the boss re-fights. I Changed my weapon after i defeated the boss because i realized that it tooks much more time to change your weapon outside of the bossroom sometimes.
You did that on all bosses, except between Centaurman and Windman. For Windman, you changed weapons at him, instead of at the defeat of the prior boss (Centaurman). Curious as to why?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Experienced player (538)
Sir VG wrote:
Couple spots I'm curious about, if nothing else.
Dr. Wily Stage 1 For the boss i found the key route so i was able to get that elevator to spawn so fast as possible and shoot every time as possible.
Is that why you jumped high into the door before you entered the boss room? That's correct, didn't find a better solution for it.
Dr. Wily Stage 3 Found a technique that saves a lot of time in the boss re-fights. I Changed my weapon after i defeated the boss because i realized that it tooks much more time to change your weapon outside of the bossroom sometimes.
You did that on all bosses, except between Centaurman and Windman. For Windman, you changed weapons at him, instead of at the defeat of the prior boss (Centaurman). Curious as to why?
There was a manipulation problem or something that makes it slower to hit windman when you change your weapon after beating the centaurman, same happened in the previous movie too. When you changed the weapon in the Windman you were able to hit 30-40 frames faster.
Nice improvement, yes vote
"No love for the game gear"
emu
Active player (380)
Incredible work, shinryuu! I admittedly didn't realize how well this run was done until I had an insightful IRC conversation with shinryuu where he explained, that he tested different strategies reducing lag several (!) rooms ahead. Watching the input file, for example one might notice that slides are even cancelled in order to reduce lag. Technically easily one of the best tases here. Despite the fact, that you apparently like this kind of work, I am thankful, that you went through all this, in the end providing a first class movie. On a side note, you completed this run really fast, right? I think merely a month ago you weren't even at the mr. X stages.