Submission Text Full Submission Page
Happy April Fool's day! A while back, I made a submission of river city ransom (#1662: Chamale's NES River City Ransom in 06:40.38) that became controversial because it stops input about 3 minutes before the game is actually won, by hiding until the final boss kills himself. This run, however, plays half a game of soccer (outside of North America: Football) and wins, despite having no input besides choosing a team, setting the strategy, and the kickoff. The teammates do all the work, and the captain just stands around.
Notes: The rerecords are almost all for luck-manipulation. The Cameroon team is chosen because they're the worst, and playing as any other team starts you against them, and the Cameroonians are so feeble they'll die before the end of the half, leading to a boring game.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Nintendo World Cup (U).nes
  • I updated it to Nintendo World Cup (U) [!].nes

adelikat: Rejecting this submission because it fails to complete the game.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1908: Chamale's NES Nintendo World Cup in 00:03.15
This was one of my favorite games back in the day. A friend and I spent a few days winning the entire tournament in 2-player mode. It involved picking a team that had the power kick that we liked, and beating the ever loving snot out of the other team to reduce the defense (as you can see, the field is littered with unconscious American players during this speed run). I was kicking myself to find out that we could have just left the game running and walked away! Until half time came... Honestly, I think it's really cool that the luck in this game can be manipulated to win the game without playing, but this movie doesn't win the game. It gets stuck at half time. April Fool's Day submission or not, I would have voted Yes for this if it didn't get stuck at half time. Great game, if you've never played it, folks. This isn't a case of finding an obscure game that could be won without input. This is legitimately a great game, and one worthy of some kind of superplay video. Congratulations on accomplishing this, Chamale.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Experienced player (822)
I found it somewhat amusing, but was also stymied by the stoppage at halftime. If it had a timer to automatically start the second half, I probably would have voted yes too, although I would be surprised if this was the absolute fastest it can be done.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
This was very amusing. I liked it! Your getting a yes vote from me. Someone should put this in the Concept Demos section for showing a game like this can be beaten (semi-beaten) without unput.
See Youtube page (GIRfanaticTAS) for all runs and stuff.
Chamale
He/Him
Player (178)
hopper wrote:
I was kicking myself to find out that we could have just left the game running and walked away! Until half time came...
Sorry, but no. After each rerecord, I watched the movie (in fast-forward) and very few resulted in shutout wins. Note that shutouts are necessary because you have to kick the ball if the other side scores.
Oh, don't get me wrong! I didn't think that this would happen every time. I can see the re-record count, so I know how hard you worked on manipulating this into happening. What I meant was that it was humorously dismaying to find out that the possibility even existed to win without playing. In other words, it "could" -- not "would" -- happen.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Skilled player (1637)
I'm confused.... did this submission color a dinosaur or not?
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
mz
Player (79)
Great movie! I hope you can make something like this for Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League, which is a lot better, in my opinion.
You're just fucking stupid, everyone hates you, sorry to tell you the truth. no one likes you, you're someone pretentious and TASes only to be on speed game, but don't have any hope, you won't get there.
someone should actually do a movie for this game because it would be beyond entertaining i know a bunch of glitches for this game that dont seem to be well known if anyone actually takes it on
Editor, Player (67)
Based on some testing that I did earlier, I think the shortest input time for a complete match is around 5:55. My result was USA 1 - 0 Cameroon. this is me: I made a playaround in 2005, but I never submitted it (thread here). I don't have the FCM any longer, but I did encode the match and put it up on YouTube (quality isn't very good, unfortunately):If I can get enough suggestions/ideas for interesting goals, I'm open to making another playaround with more frame advance and re-recording utilization.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
argentina is right up there with germany as the best team though (im wearing an argentina jersey right now ironically) so what about cameroon versus germany for it actually the game doesnt know how to use germany correctly so really they play as argentina better, and when i still play the game i play as cameroon against argentina with my super shots turned off to create the most difficulty anyway, i will check the video out i can tell you right now something that is possible is to have the keeper tackle you and then fall over (this and all other abnormalities i found in real time and not slow down)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
I am also sad it can't go past halftime. Had this completed the game with no input, it would have been awesome, and certainly a good candidate for publication.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!