Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow beaten in less than 7 minutes from Power-on! Not quite comparable with the published movies because it takes a completely different route.
Note: This updated movie has only been improved to the previously submitted one with better itemdrop manipulations when fighting Erinys and Final Guard, plus a minor 7-frame gain from the final boss fight, while the rest of the movie remains exactly the same.[1]

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBAR 1.72 v19.3
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses death as shortcuts
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses in-game saves
  • Uses warps
  • Manipulates luck
  • Skips all bosses except Chaos

Comments

Finally, I decided to TAS this instead of a warpless run. This run is short, but not easy to TAS due to heavy luck-manipulations. But to my surprise, this run was completed very fast because of my ultra-good luck. :)

Soma the EXP/Item/Soul Hunter

Sometimes you may feel that Soma is acting like a fool when you are watching this movie, which is because either he has too many HP or he is eager for something from an enemy.
Baselard seems like a must-get for every Soma run. I got it for better damage output.
Lubicant Soul is very compatible with death warps, and I could fight two Lubicants on my way. So I decided to grab it. Grabbing it also saved one LEVELUP for the following death warp.
Muramasa dropped by Lubicants is an interesting weapon:
Pros: It has Curse Attribute, which inflicts additional damage to enemy that is weak to it, depending on how many HP of the enmey is left. It is also a multi-hitting weapon.
Cons: It's a short ranged weapon, and its ATK bonus is a little too small. It would be inefficient to fight Final Guard with.
Final Sword is definitely the best weapon in this game. but in order to get it, I had to fight Final Guard with very high defense. So I decided to get Ronginus's Spear from Erinys right before Final Guard.
Aftr some calculations on when to level up, I decided to build up my final level to 12, meaning that Red Minotaur Soul couldn't be used.
Great Armor Soul and equipments increasing STR are out of the route, and benefits from getting them wouldn't make up with the time cost to get them.
HP-ups were required to perform the death-warp glitch. I used the glitch four times, so I got four HP-ups.
MP-ups were useless since I used no MP-draining souls. So I didn't bother getting them.

The Death-Warp Glitch

The death-warp glitch was not discovered by me. I am not not sure who discovered it first. However, I learnt it from @JOACHIM.
It is possible because:
  • After a Levelup or soul-getting pause, you are granted to be able to enter Menu Screen in a few frames.
  • You can save your game from Menu Screen as long as you are not flagged "in boss fight", if you have saved the game in a save room once.
  • When you load a game that was saved from Menu Screen, you are set standing where you came to the room with your HP unchanged.
  • The game won't try to kill you by examing if your HP is 0. The kill test is only done when you get hit (The "harmless" Blacked-out Door can kill you if your HP is 0!).
  • When your HP is 0, you can go off screen without room transitions, while as soon as your HP is over 0, you get room transitions immediately. Unfortunately, you'll usually end up with black screen and have to reset the game.
Now I think you can figure out how to use Death Warps. ;)
Every enemy killed was not only for its goodies, but also for its EXP. Using Levelup is usually faster than using soul-getting to perform the death warp.

The Route

The route-planning itself cost me much more time than TASing. This route's the fastest by now on I know. It was just discovered with lots of nearly blind tests. Who could have known that you could get to Chaotic Realm from such an off-screen spot? :D

Stage by stage comments

Castle Corridor & Underground Reservoir - No Death Yet

I went into the first Save Room to save the game as soon as possible so that I was able to use save-warp once. I decided to decrease HP in the room with Tiny Devil in it just for manipulating Tasty Meat in the next room.

Castle Corridor - The 1st Death

When I came to the door of Creaking Skull room, I couldn't use save during death using the Axe Armor itself, so I had to wait for its axe thrown. Don't get worried when you see the long off-screen scene. It was the only long one in the entire movie. I warped to Chaotic Realm skipping all of the bosses in the castle!

Chaotic Realm - The 2nd Death

Welcome to the realm of chaos/Chaos! Here are the toughest monsters in the game!
If not in STONE staus, 290 HP were enough for Soma to stand 2 hits by any enemy in the long corridor room. All the enemy are too tough to kill, so I just headed to the right, jumping over incoming Gladiators. A spear was thrown to prevent the second Gladiator from launching too many arrows. It's fun to note that Soma put out the burning arrow in mid-air.
I aimed for Lubicant Soul in the shaft room, as well as some EXP. He gave me both, and even a Muramasa that was used to kill one of them and a later Erinys.
Why did I use a save warp instead of jumping back to the exit and re-enter the room after I got the Muramasa? Simply because the Beam Skeleton was blocking my way as I had been in the room for a long time.
The death warp allowed me to skip a lot of rooms in Chaotic Realm, some of them recquired at least Malphas Soul.

Chaotic Realm - The 3rd Death

I just wasted the Erinys and used her Ronginus's Spear (logical?) to beat the Final Guard, for his Final Sword. Soma was lured by Succubus who prevented to be Mina and thus got killed. This warp allowed me to skip the unpassable vertical Clock Tower room.

Chaotic Realm - The 4th Death

Stolas was easier meat than Shadow Knight. Red Minotaur Soul was skipped since to use it I would need 150+ MP, meaning I would have to build up my level to at least 15. The very last death warp sent me directly to Chaos.

Chaos Fight

The first and final boss in this movie. Very fast fight, although Soma was only at Level 12.
TODO: Add more helpful comments.

Other comments

Thanks to @JOACHIM, atma, pirate_sephiroth, Yrr, zggzdydp and others who contributed help to TASing this game, whose names I haven't mentioned here.

Suggested Screen Shots

klmz: Hi! I am a TASer. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

Truncated: Accepting as improvement to the glitched run. Good job!
EDIT: I should also point out that what I watched and judged is the 6:46 (54964 frames) movie, at the time of writing this movie is only available as a link in the beginning of the submission. The uploaded movie should be replaced by this one before encoding and publishing.

Bisqwit: Replaced the submission with an improved one. Author did not specify what is improved in their message, therefore reverting the "Accepted" status.

klmz: I think this movie was reverted to the "New" status as I asked Bisqwit to update it with "a 353 frames faster one", which was the very movie Truncated watched and judged, while Bisqwit wasn't confirmed. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
[1] Although some screenshots no longer accord with the updated movie, I think they are OK since even a few published movies (eg. [1091] NES Little Samson "warps" by klmz in 10:13.27) have screenshots from the obsoleted movies, which no longer accord with the currently published movies.

adelikat: New file "Accepted".

Maza: Encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Senior Moderator
Ok, what the hell. This is really why we need a glitchless version, I guess. And yes vote for utter brokenness!
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Skilled player (1431)
Oh man, I can't wait to watch this, I'll probably view it in a couple of hours. Congratulations in advance!
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
Wow, what a glitchy run. I liked it, voting yes.
moozooh wrote:
This is really why we need a glitchless version, I guess.
Exactly.
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Skilled player (1670)
Lolwtf. And I mean it.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Skilled player (1149)
One word, magical! This run is very nice planning and damage taking. Though some luck manipulation looks not very good, but I don't overly care about it. Awesome job, man.
How utterly bizarre. Yes vote, for sure. At first, I thought the video had desynced. :O
OMG! Talk about exploits! Awesome run! Awesome! True YES!
Former player
That was completely absurd. Certainly a yes vote.
Well, that was interesting. Another utterly broken game (as if we didn't know that before). Yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
moozooh wrote:
Ok, what the hell. This is really why we need a glitchless version, I guess. And yes vote for utter brokenness!
Agreed on all counts. *hits the yes button*
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I also thought the video desynced, it was so freakishly bizarre. Then all I could say is WTF?! I don't completely get the glitches and why all the sleep mode movements are needed, but I can still say YES to this run, and also demand a major glitchless version.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Wow, that was pretty cool. :) I would rather see a 100% souls run than a nonglitchy run.
Voted NO for NO reason
Skilled player (1431)
LagDotCom wrote:
I would rather see a 100% souls run than a nonglitchy run.
I would rather see both :) I would like the 100% more though.
Hilarious. Loved it.
IRC nick: UncombedCoconut
Skilled player (1431)
Wow... Just wow. It is very rare that I get so confused by a run as I got by this, you really need to come up with some explanations. Yes vote naturally, for one of the more glitched up runs on this whole site, which is to say a lot.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Intriguing. So uh, does this obsolete the glitch warped any%? Or are we looking at 5 categories?
Homepage ☣ Retired
Player (244)
I lol'd pretty hard. Yes, of course.
Skilled player (1149)
I think this one could obsolete my warp run, but in fact, this is a very different category to my run. So, I hope some guys will use 0HP glitch in 100% souls run.
Reviewer, Active player (276)
But that changes the entire route for the 100% run. Looks like I'm starting from scratch again. Also, this makes planning a lot harder. As for the run, it was really strange, but short enough that all the off screen action didn't become annoying. Yes for publication. Yes for obsoletion.
Wow, now that was something completely different... Instead of seeing Soma hobble through many rooms it looks like he's just running errands ("kill Lubicant twice, check. Kill Erynes, check. ...")
Very cool run, made me and my friend ROFL :P I'd vote Yes if I wasn't still a lurker.
Tub
that's weird. how much time did you spend on route-planning? Are you confident it's optimal or did you just pick the first route that worked?
m00
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
In fact, I spent much more times on route-planning than movie-TASing. The route was determined by these steps: * The only way I know to win the Best Ending is to beat Chaos. So I just beat it. * The fastest ways I know to warp to Chaos all require using Giant Bat Soul in the Chapel, which is guarded by Balore. Also, the journey from the Arena to the Chapel is long. So I ignored it. * Using death warps is faster than using any other methods else, and even usually faster than travelling. So I abused them. * Saving the game once is required to use Sleep Mode. So I savd the game once. * HP-ups are required to perform the glitch. So I got them. * To get past the last room with Shadow Knight and the watered room with Bone Pillars, simply using death warps to skip them is faster than getting the required souls to get past them. So I just skipped them. * To skip the watered room metioned above, death warp can only be performed in the three ruin rooms attached to the shaft with Lubicants in it. So I warped from the castle to the nearest room to them. * The fastest way to warp to the nearest room from game starting point to Chaotic Realm is to use death warp right before Creaking Skull. So I took this way. * Using better weapons greatly out-performs leveling up. So I didn't bother leveling up unless I had to. * Final Sword is the best weapon for TASing tough enemy. So I just got it. * Lubicant Soul can almost twice your STR that contributes to ATK at the cost that HP has to be decreased, which is necessary to use death warps. So I got it. * After calculating the frames required to beat Chaos, Great Armor Soul is nearly useless compared to the cost to get it. So I skipped it. * Red Minotaur Soul requires at least level 15 to use it, and it can only be used once before the fight ends if no MP-ups are available. So I skipped it. EDIT: I PM'ed Bisqwit to ask him to update my movie to this 7 frames faster one but it seems that he hasn't read the message.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Former player
I will just keep to the common judgement of "What...?"
My published movies [03:45:05] <Naohiro19> Soulrivers: ... [03:45:19] <Soulrivers> ? [03:46:35] <Naohiro19> <Soulrivers> No! <Naohiro19> So? <Soulrivers> Yes! [03:46:48] <Naohiro19> joke