Emulator details

Emulator used: Snes9x 1.43 Improvement9
Sync settings:
  • Use WIP1 timing
  • Allow Left+Right/Up+Down

About the run

This is my atempt at an improvement over Adebis old run of Lost Levels, it is 434 frames faster. I choose the +Super Mario World rom because the last author used it and it was a few frames faster in the intro. I found improvements in many levels but due to a frame rule not all of them where allowed to be kept in the end. Therefore I will only write about the levels where the improvements where kept at the end of the level. Worth to mention is that ending a level 1 timeunit sooner will not always gain you time (I think), and likewise ending it on the same timeunit might gain you time. Also sometimes (I think when you are close to a timeunit decrease) ending the level by jumping further up the flag can gain you time.
Suggested screenshot: 88400 (everything about it just looks wrong)

Improvements

All improvements are 21 frames unless I say otherwise.
1-2
When going through the wall I do a backwardsjump and run over it instead of through it.
2-1
Did a backwards walljump instead of a normal one.
3-2
Bumped into the roof to gain momentum when going down the shaft. Also possibly better pipe entrance.
4-4
When going up at the firepillar I did a walljump instead of jumping on the platform. And when going down again it was faster to not pass through the wall.
5-3
Got a jump boost of the red koopa to get to the pipe without hitting the wall first. Also I noticed later that it would have been faster to run to the end of the moving platform in the begining, actually enough to gain me another timeunit I belive. But it was actually just as fast in the end.
6-1
Walljumped up the pipe instead of passing through it.
6-2
Swam up to the surface on the right frame to give me a big downward momentum boost when going down the shaft.
6-4
At the first big firepillar I did a backwards crouchhjump to get through sooner and with much greater speed. When going to the top level for the "bing you choose the right path sound" I jumped up at the first opportunity instead of the second. At the decending platforms I jumed onto it instead of over it, if crouching on the last possible frame the game acts as if you are in crouched position but it looks like you are standing up, this allows me to seemingly pass through the wall. Did a crouchjump at the last firepillar. (42 frames saved)
7-2
Faster jump from the platform to land.
7-3
Jumping on to each trampoline at the first possible frame.
8-2
Managed to jump further up the vine before starting to climb.
8-3
Faster jump up to the hidden block, better jump of the moving platform
8-4
Tripple backjump instead of double. Shot the plant to get down the pipe faster. (no idea why he didn't) Much much faster entering the pipe in the water. It looks like you could get under the firepillar but you can't, it's impossible to swim under and I walk under it as soon as possible and start swimming as soon as possible. (63 frames saved)
9-1
Entered the pipe faster by jumping down instead of running over the edge. Also funne glitch at the flagpole, if using left+right at the right position mario acts funny and the flag doesn't get lowered. Don't save time though. (9 frames(!?) saved)
A-4
Better playing at bowser so that I would not need to slow down as much.
B-2
Faster to go down the shaft instead of passing through the upper wall.
C-3
Same as 7-3, also at the end I juped over the firepillar instead of wating for it. No idea why he didn't.
C-4
Jumped through the roof instead of going through it. Sligtly faster passing through the wall at the firepillar.
D-1
5 frames saved... dunno how really.
D-4
Just before bowser I jumped down the platform instead of running over the edge. Ended input a little earlier. 7 Frames.
Somewhere here and there I have gained 1 frame. (and sowhere I think lost 1 or so) I don't know why.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. I'm not sure I got the right ROM though. (I tried Marvel Super Heroes - War of the Gems (U).smc, which was the closest match to what you wrote.) Well, here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.
Bisqwit: Well, it looks like the bot was utterly confused by the way you entered the ROM name. Removing bogus screenshots...

adelikat: Replaced the submission file with a hexed version that indicates the good ROM dump: Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (U) [!].zip). (It does sync on this version).
Also accepted and encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1981: Cpadolf's SNES Super Mario Allstars - Lost Levels in 35:08.82
arflech
He/Him
Please re-make this using a ROM with a good checksum; it desynched with mine and even with a ROM from a site suggested by your movie file.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Is it just me or the CRC that's reported is really different than the previously published run ? I know, it plays fine and it doesn't desynch eventhough it said the CRC is different. Thanks for the entertaining run!
arflech
He/Him
Okay, it turns out that this run doesn't desynch with the Super Mario All-Stars + World ROM even though the CRCs are very different, but with the other two I tried (both All-Stars without World) it didn't get past the Lost Levels startup menu. I also found a humorous glitch in All-Stars + World; Apparently if you face left while swimming right, the game doesn't load the correct sprite data:
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Senior Moderator
This isn't unique to SMAS/W, SMB had it the same way.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
arflech
He/Him
Wow, you'd think Nintendo would have fixed that for the SNES remake; I wonder whether the Super Mario Advance games are like that too.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Quietust
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
arflech wrote:
Please re-make this using a ROM with a good checksum; it desynched with mine and even with a ROM from a site suggested by your movie file.
Indeed - the movie suggested that the ROM name was "Vimm's Lair: vimm.net", a site which seems to enjoy altering ROM images to advertise the website (with NES ROMs, they tack it onto the end and confuse GoodNES, but in this case it seems to have hacked the name into the contents of the ROM itself).
* Quietust, QMT Productions P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
The rom's name indicated by the movie file seems to suggest that this movie was created using somebody's homebrew dump instead of an "official" one since it advertises a website instead of giving the game's name. --argh, should have submitted this post earlier Yes vote. I especially liked the time in 7-4 (and C-4 or whatever was its exact duplicate) when Mario enters the floor and just before exiting it Mario destroys one "block" of the ground by jumping. Edit: arflech, if you read the submission text closer, you would have noticed: "I choose the +Super Mario World rom because the last author used it and it was a few frames faster in the intro."
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
It looks like the rom group just changed the rom header and not the actual data. It played back correctly using the [!] rom for me. Hexing the correct rom info into the movie header should fix this. Also, I just noticed, the blocks in 9-4 read "アリガトウ!" (Arigatou = Thank You)
arflech
He/Him
blahmoomoo wrote:
Edit: arflech, if you read the submission text closer, you would have noticed: "I choose the +Super Mario World rom because the last author used it and it was a few frames faster in the intro."
Not only that, if I had read the link to the submission, I would have seen a clear note about the ROM name, and the Vimm version of that ROM did indeed have the same CRC as the ROM the submitter used. Now I feel like an idiot, and if I could change my "No" vote to a "Yes" I would, especially because as I said earlier it also works on a "good checksum" version of the ROM. In case it helps, the "good checksum" (a.k.a. a version that shows white text on loading in snes9x instead of yellow or red text) version I used has CRC32=8089624C and internal title "ALL_STARS + WORLD"; my ROM has the filename "Super Mario All-Stars +World.smc" but I have also seen "Super Mario All Stars & World (U).smc" and GoodSNES says it's "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (U) [o1].smc" and I hope there's a verified good dump ("[!]") floating around out there.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
P.JBoy
Any
Editor
A verified ROM dump has a header name "ALL_STARS + WORLD" and a CRC32 "F84305B1"
Skilled player (1431)
So... Am I supposed to do anything about this whole "stupid ROM" problem. And if so, what? I have no idea.
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
arflech
He/Him
Use this as a guide when hex-editing: http://tasvideos.org/SMV.html I went ahead and hex-edited the part where the CRC data and ROM header name were stored, and because the original was longer I replaced the extra places with 00s (because I saw the field was even longer and padded with 00s to start with); however if you want to cut out the excess null characters in the header and shift the relevant offsets appropriately it can be done.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Skilled player (1431)
So I can just update the submission with this smv or?
arflech
He/Him
Cpadolf wrote:
So I can just update the submission with this smv or?
I guess...I mean I tried it with my overdump again and it still worked, and perhaps it still works with P.JBoy's verified good dump...
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Skilled player (1431)
Hmm, except I can't without resubmitting all together... Meh, I'll leave it like this unless it means rejection. I mean AFAIK it still does work with any other +WROLD ROM, so I don't really see the harm.
Experienced player (612)
I forgot how good a Super Mario run tends to be. Nice job Cpadolf. Yes vote.
Active player (432)
Cpadolf wrote:
Hmm, except I can't without resubmitting all together...
You can pm Bisqwit about it if you are still interested fixing this minor (?)issue. Edit: Also, voted yes for obvious reasons. Nice work.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Player (24)
Yes looks well done and contain nice glitches without speed lost.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Bad name:SuperMarioAll-Stars+SuperMarioWorld.smc Good name:Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World (U) [!].smc
DiffCalc .NET Frameworks 3.5 required.
Post subject: Bisqwit: please replace submission with .smv linked inthread
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Voting yes. Good improvement to a published movie. I will accept & process this movie as soon as the submission file can be replaced with the hex edited version of the .smv linked above.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1431)
So I should pm bisqwit so that he can update the submission file with the hex edited smv file?
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1134] SNES Super Mario All-Stars: The Lost Levels "warpless, Mario" by Cpadolf in 35:08.82
Former player
Odd, my BT client is telling me there are no seeds, only peers, and the download is unusually slow for me.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
It doesn't show any seeds for me either, though I'm maining about 150-200 kb/s which is very fast for me. Edit: Slowed down to about 5 kb/s after I got to 40%...