Pipe Dream is an obscure puzzle game that requires quick reflexes to save the floor from the flooz (ok, there's no real story). I use frame-by-frame movements to set up the pipes for the flooz to flow through as needed and at maximum speed. The speed of the run is dependent upon how fast the flooz moves, so I play at max speed and select the turbo setting on the first frame in every level.

PIPE DREAM

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEU_16
  • Aims for fastest time
  • No deaths

Comments

Pipe Dream is a game that is apparently not very well known as is evidenced by its near absence from the internet. While it doesn't have the appeal of tetris, it is still an interesting puzzle game that requires fast reflexes and lots of planning. There are three game versions: A is sort of like training mode. You can only play limited levels and cannot alter the speed. Game C is a challenge game. You play one level and go for a high score. I choose game B, because you go through all 16 stages and you can modify the speed. I crank it up to speed 8, pick music 3 (which my sister who always hogged Pipe Dream NEVER let me pick!) even though you won't hear much of it, and go.
The point of Pipe Dream is to have the white goo in the pipes (called flooz) go through a certain number of pipes (abbreviated as DIST) before reaching the end of the last pipe or hitting a dead end. You can continue playing even after the DIST is zero to get a better score, but this wastes time.

Fast as Possible?

You are basically dependent upon the speed of the flooz, so I put it on turbo (press select) at the first possible frame in every level to ensure that the flooz reaches the end as soon as possible. I get through all 16 stages successfully. Similar to Super Mario Bros., Circus Charlie, and other NES games, this one starts over again at a harder version of level 1 after you complete the 16th stage.

Technique

It takes a frame to move the pipe. You can move it every other frame by "turboing" the directional buttons, which is humanly impossible. Holding the button down does move the pipe, but it has a huge lag after the first press as seems to be customary in similar games. Pipes are placed with A. This lags for about 30 frames (I didn't find out exactly because it is not important to speed). If you place a pipe on top of another pipe (cannot be done on a pipe with flooz in it) the original pipe explodes and the new pipe is placed. The exploding creates HUGE lag during which you cannot place more pipe.
At the end of the level, if there are any unused pipes, they are all exploded individually, which eats up time. Therefore, I make sure that every pipe in the line is used. Similarly, any bonus points gotten from crossovers costs time as well. I purposely go into the End pipe in one level (not necessary) just for kicks.
Every four levels, there is a bonus stage with an effective DIST of zero.

Pipin' Hot

This video is full of more fast-paced pipe placing action than you can shake a stick at. To keep things interesting, I try to pull off a lot of close calls (many of which were not on purpose) and feature the game's prominent glitches.

Glitches

The game has two major glitches:
1. You can continue to move the cursor even after selecting to place a pipe. This is obvious even to a human player if you hold down a direction while pressing A, but it grants a huge advantage in frame-by-frame as you can move the cursor every other frame, which lets you move something like eight panels while the first pipe is still being placed. I use this pretty much constantly.
2. Seen at the very end of levels 14, and several times in 15 and 16. With frame-precision, if you place a pipe on top of a pipe that the flooz is just about to flow through (and is able to flow through), The pipe you are attempting to place disappears. This lets you get rid of pipe pieces without huge bomb lag or messing up your lines. I could have used this throughout the run, but I save it for the end to keep things interesting. Also, it is necessary at the end -- at least for my solutions.

Could a plumber do it?

Achieving what is done in this video requires frame precision. Sometimes, I make it to complete the line just in time while moving the cursor every other frame. I believe in level 9 and 16, there is a pipe that makes it into the line by one frame. With different pipes, easier (though not faster) patterns may be achievable, but as far as I can tell, the set of pipes is determined from power on. Nothing I did changed the order of the pipes within or between levels (though since it is unimportant, I didn't try very hard).

Etc.

• Levels 2, 4, 10, and 13 were easy to make.
  • Levels 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 15, and 16 gave me some trouble.
  • You may notice in lv 9, I need a left-to-down piece desperately for most of the puzzle, and at the very end, I get three in a row..WTF??
This movie is fast-paced, cool looking, and quite short! Well, hope you agree.
  • By the way, turning on turbo makes an awful sound, so I recommend watching this movie with sound off.

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated Pipe Dream (U).nes
  • I updated it to Pipe Dream (U) [b1].nes

Truncated: This seems to have been well recieved by the community, so I will put it on Accept.
I will say that I also liked BluBlu's score attempt, and that such a movie could possibly also be accepted.

adelikat: This movie was made using a bad dump [b1]. But it syncs on the good dump.
Also, processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #1996: Explosion Pills's NES Pipe Dream in 03:57.53
Player (120)
I enjoyed this run because I have played Pipe Dream before and know how annoying it is :) It looks pretty good. It's interesting that the randomness can't be manipulated. Also, it doesn't appear to "finish the game" though your submission text does clarify that point. You might want to utilize the forums for feedback on games before you submit them. Good job!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Experienced player (699)
Wait, is this that awesome game? Is this for NES? I have to investigate this now.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Really enjoyable. Yes vote here.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
This submission is very entertaining while maintaining the appearance of optimization. A definite "yes" vote from me.
Active player (422)
Ah, I actually made a test run of 2-player game C a while back. It looked pretty cool, but sort of lacked goals. Even still, I figured a full run on mode B would be... well... boring. But it's just 4 minutes to run through all the stages? That's actually pretty surprising. I'll definately check this out when I get a chance! I'm interested.
Emulator Coder
A worthy first submission of Pipe Dream. Played it once upon a time on the console, so it's nice to see someone kill it with bloody murder in mind.
Active player (422)
Well, it seems well done, but I can't help but think a 2-player version would be more entertaining. It's hurt a little bit by not feeling 'complete'. That's the game's fault, though. But yeah, I enjoyed it.
Former player
Thank you for the support everyone. Two player run for speed would not be as good IMO. Double pieces = less struggle, which is what makes the run entertaining. Also, it would not be any faster. High score would be interesting, but unfortunately, the game's programmers had a severe oversight in that they didn't cap the score at all and it can actually overflow so there is no high score..you can just keep going forever and potentially crash the game.
Banned User, Former player
alden wrote:
You might want to utilize the forums for feedback on games before you submit them.
I strongly disagree with this idea for games that aren't "obvious smash hits" (e.g. the 3 instant-publish series here); for movies after the first published one, of course, but if it's something else, it's better to submit a finished movie than be shot down long before something finished comes out. That way those of us who would enjoy the game anyway can still enjoy it, even if it doesn't succeed here. Personally I would like to see a high-score run (or at least an impressive one) ... maybe one of the other game modes?
Perma-banned
Player (120)
Xkeeper wrote:
Personally I would like to see a high-score run (or at least an impressive one) ... maybe one of the other game modes?
Seems like that comment would have been more productive before the movie was finished... perhaps in a forum topic about a WIP? :) You do make a valid point that sometimes people can be overly negative and therefore discourage movies from being submitted at all. But, as long as the author persists I think ultimately a bit of community feedback will always strengthen the submission (or at least not hurt it).
Xkeeper wrote:
... it's better to submit a finished movie than be shot down long before something finished comes out. That way those of us who would enjoy the game anyway can still enjoy [the submission]
What about the many people who visit the site but don't look at the forums/submission queue? The only way they will see it is if it gets published, so don't we want to help people make the best movies possible?
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Former player
For the people voting Meh, could you please explain your choice? Otherwise, it just seems mean. I don't understand the reason for a Meh vote. If you feel Meh about a video, you should just abstain. I could calculate how to get the highest possible score in one level and do it in game C. The problem would be I doubt I could turbo on the first frame and be successful, so it would be very difficult to figure out which is the first possible frame to turbo, especially since you can get a different arrangement of pipes every time. A bot may be able to calculate it, but I don't know how to use one.
Awesome. I, too, have played a lot of Pipe Dream. My only gripe was that you didn't spank the hell out of the last bonus stage for a aesthetic sense of finality... but on testing it, it turned out that the bonus stages just plain suck, so that's out. Yes vote.
Explosion Pills wrote:
I don't understand the reason for a Meh vote.
If 50 people feel Meh about it and say nothing, but the five people who like it are vocal, then it gets published, and teh system has failed to filter out a movie that people generally aren't going to like.
First off, you took away your avatar?! That thing made me laugh for no apparent reason!
Explosion Pills wrote:
For the people voting Meh, could you please explain your choice? Otherwise, it just seems mean. I don't understand the reason for a Meh vote. If you feel Meh about a video, you should just abstain.
Although I do not agree with NOT voicing the reasons for meh, it should not be abstained from. Meh means you are neither for nor against it, which could help a judge make a decision on whether or not to publish the movie.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Former player
My avatar was removed by Bisqwit for all the kiddoes who might look at the site. I guess the meh vote makes some sense, but it makes a lot more sense if people talk about it. I would say it's better to voice your meh and not vote than to vote meh and not post.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
For the people voting Meh, could you please explain your choice? Otherwise, it just seems mean. I don't understand the reason for a Meh vote. If you feel Meh about a video, you should just abstain.
Sorry, I was going to write comments last evening, but forgot it. I played the gameboy version, so I knew what to expect. I liked it overall but there are some negative aspects with this run which then led me to voting meh. For example, I don't like the 'variety' in this run. All the levels are basically the same. And I didn't like the nonexistent complete-screen (I generally dislike runs of such games somewhat). Therefore I voted meh, leaning towards yes. :) (btw, the gameboy version has an ending screen afaik)
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I played this game on PC, it came bundled with some version of Windows i think. I liked this movie, but I also like Xkeeper's idea of filling up the whole board once and ending in the E pipe in mode C. I will still vote Yes.
I would vote yes if I could. I liked this movie, it felt like I had the speed up key held down when I was watching it. (In fact I checked part way into the movie to see if this was the case.) I loved this game when we use to have those old 98s at school... I was awful at it though.
(???)
Player (67)
It was moderately interesting, but I really think this game would be better done on mode C - just do one level, but try to get the highest score possible by filling out all squares and having a ludicrous amount of crossover sections. It seems like this game is all about high scores instead of time, so a TAS should focus on that. Edit: Something like this, only more optimized (this has lots of mistakes and the score could be much higher by getting a luckier board thus enabling more crossovers). Edit: By the way, I didn't vote.
Skilled player (1636)
I voted Meh. Not to be mean... It just wasn't that interesting for a TAS imo. I thought the opposite of Outrun, and was out-voted by the community. To each their own.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Former player
Thank you for the various opinions. I am glad you all had mostly positive thoughts of the movie. About doing a C run (you can start at lv 16 which has the most potential for bonus points), as I said before, there is no real high score, and you can actually crash the game if your score gets too high. Additionally, it would be really difficult to gauge how fast it can be done (it is a TAS after all) and I think that at 16 speed, it may be literally impossible to turbo from the first fame and fill up the board. This is not a huge problem as there is no need to turbo immediately, but the question is when to turbo? Ideally, flooz should hit the end as you place the last pipe. Still, it is difficult to gauge the goal for such a video as the "highest possible score" range is very broad. I would like to point out, in case nobody noticed, that I purposely placed pipes progressively faster on each level to make things more interesting. It is probably a lot more noticeable if you look at level 1 and then level 16 right after. This video was relatively easy to make, but I tried to put some effort into making it more interesting with things like that.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Haha, I thought this was awesome. Easy yes vote.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1137] NES Pipe Dream by Explosion_Pills in 03:57.53
Is the audio/video of the AVI horribly out of sync for anyone else?
Judge Ito wrote:
Is the audio/video of the AVI horribly out of sync for anyone else?
I find it hard to tell.. I think it's just the game that can't keep up, but the video might also be desyncing near the end..