Submission Text Full Submission Page
Video: Jabos Direct 3D8 Input: Jabos Direct Input 7 1.6 Sound: Jabos Direct Sound 1.6 RSP emulation plugin
this was a run to get familiar with the emulator. less desyncs than oot and much more fun. after i saw slash star dash's run on speedruns.net, i tried a hitless run to gain experience and basic knowlegde about tasing. now i see that its 4seconds faster than slash's run, because i found a new shortcut at the end. its a really long jump where you save some seconds, more seconds than than i lost with "takes damage to save time" tactic jumps. the game is very entertaining so i just submit the run and hope it will be accepted since theres no previous one. please watch it with mupen or at youtube before voting no :P
                                                                JNX

mmbossman: The general consensus seems to be that this is played somewhat poorly, and I agree. A much higher degree of precision could be achieved by using a tool such as the TAS input plugin, as was mentioned. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2013: jnx's N64 Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness in 54:20.87
Slashstardash's run was rejected from TASvideos because of imprecision... if the only improvement from the rejected run is a shortcut, then this is certainly not going to be published.
the game is very entertaining so i just submit the run and hope it will be accepted since theres no previous one.
That's generally not how things work here- the standards need to be upheld. Next time, you should post your WIPs in the forums so that other TASers can review your work and tell you how to improve. Still, thanks for giving us these runs. I was thinking of watching both OoT and CV64, and now I have new versions instead of old ones. :D
jnx
it was a run to get experienced with the emulator. i wasnt aiming for perfection and i had fun doing it. i didnt look for shortcuts but found one and i tried to finish the run hitless. since slash star dash uses some "takes damage to save time " jumps, i changed the route sometimes, but its mostly like his vid. youtube link : http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=nkhcYsos8uY no rapidshare avi file available yet
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Dromiceius wrote:
Slashstardash's run was rejected from TASvideos because of imprecision...
Nope! It's because he was incredibly modest. He cancelled each of his N64 Castlevania movies after each got only 1 measly no vote. This was also back in the early days of mupen, when 3D TASing was new and people weren't familiar with what 3D optimal precision looks like, so a lot of people weren't able to point out those submissions' flaws. Granted, by today's standards they probably aren't as optimal as they could be. I bet with some memory watching with MHS, and someone really dedicated to the project, you could get a better movie. I will give this a looksie. While not a huge fan of the N64 castlevania games, if well played I think they deserve to be on the site. If this version is only 4 seconds faster, I think now that you're more familiar with mupen you may want to give this game another try? If you want, I can help you out in any way possible.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Former player
I noticed something strange: it seems like you don't push your controller to its limits. Mupen tells me that your maximum is something like 60 to 65%. This may be input plugin related, dunno exactly. If my assumption is true, you sure could have gone/jumped/whatever further in shorter time, thus saving the latter. I also noticed this in your SM64 16 star run submission.
regardless of how things pan out on this hopefully one day we have a cv:lod tas here because the game is superb
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Personally, I would rather see a run using Henry over anybody else, but I will watch this later, because unlike most CV players, I actually DO like the game.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Skilled player (1149)
The run is not bad, but still needs optimization. Movement is not very precise, and you picked up too many crystals even though you didn't need them. Hm, I don't think this is an improved version to the previous one, 4 seconds is not enough. I like U-version of the game. But now Henry run would not be accepted, mupen64 can't record from reset. If record that run from a save, it's not allowed.
Former player
zggzdydp, there are circumstances where starting from a save are allowed. See the Chrono Trigger Newgame+ TAS.
Senior Moderator
Actually, can't you just use this submission for generating the required save state? Then you could just link to it in the submission message and post what you've done to get the desired SRAM. It's a 100% safe proof of valid SRAM.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
henry would be an interesting additional run if nothing else the novelty of using a gun...
ShinyDoofy wrote:
I noticed something strange: it seems like you don't push your controller to its limits. Mupen tells me that your maximum is something like 60 to 65%. This may be input plugin related, dunno exactly. If my assumption is true, you sure could have gone/jumped/whatever further in shorter time, thus saving the latter. I also noticed this in your SM64 16 star run submission.
Since this wasn't addressed: that doesn't matter. From what I rememebr the range caps at about 60% so having the joystick at 60 is the same as having ti at 99 as far as a N64 game is concerned..
Is there a reason you do not use the TAS input plugin? Id think, but really have no knowledge since i havent done much TASing, that it would help you make your movements more precise
Comicalflop wrote:
I don't recommend HISSing at parties though, people will think you're a snake.
well guess this will be ignored and then quietly rejected thankfully i can just go download off youtube
Active player (308)
I vote YES for the total eradication of 3D castlevanias.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
For the most part, this seems really good. There's a few spots in the Forest (that seemed a bit unoptimized) but most of the run was really good. I will state that just like in the other TAS, it should keep going to include scrolling the ending text. But that's just my opinion. I give this a high MEH.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
yeah turns out this is unoptimized there is quite a bit of unnecessary red jewel collecting when progress can be made in the game although he does collect when he cant progress also there were a few other things that seemed strange to me and i have beaten the cornell path of this game three times for example (on red jewels), he collects 10 jewels more than he needs for dracula ultimate even though these jewels are excursions from progressing forward on the walkway to dracula phase 1
Don't you save a huge time by jumping in front of you at 4:07 of the part 3 ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=7QoLS-7aYG4&feature=related ) ? You can see it a little, just in front of you, you loose like 90% of your life when you grab the platform just with yours hands but I think you save, maybe like 70 seconds. Though, you can say that it somewhat waste the tas but if it's really saving time, I guess people would be surprise to see that.
so i guess maybe this tas should go to "takes damage to save time" if you can save time at the villa that would be great since that part was really boring despite everything else being entertaining
Player (98)
it was a run to get experienced with the emulator. i wasnt aiming for perfection and i had fun doing it. i didnt look for shortcuts but found one and i tried to finish the run hitless. since slash star dash uses some "takes damage to save time " jumps, i changed the route sometimes, but its mostly like his vid.
No offense, but if you're making a run to get familiar with the software, don't waste people's time and submit it. IMO, you should only attempt a run for the site if you're fully familiar with the tools you're trying to exploit. Sorry if that came off mean :/
Vykan12 wrote:
No offense, but if you're making a run to get familiar with the software, don't waste people's time and submit it. IMO, you should only attempt a run for the site if you're fully familiar with the tools you're trying to exploit. Sorry if that came off mean :/
He's not wasting any people time because he only submitted it because people told him to do it, as far as I know. He's being honest by saying this is a test run, so that anyone can skip it if they are looking for a fully optimized run.
No.
Senior Moderator
Besides, it's hard to waste someone's time with something they aren't obliged to watch in the first place. ;)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.