Post subject: Power Blade 2
Player (14)
Well, I started a TAS for this, but I officially give up. Just figured I'd share some information in hopes that someone else will complete this run some day: -Get both the Wet Suit and the Rocket Suit from the mid-level bosses in stage 2 and 3. -Selecting a different stage in this game takes several seconds (as seen from 0:30 to 0:38 in this video). Still, you should do them in this order: 3 - (1/2) - 4 - 5 - 6. The Rocket Suit you get in stage 3 will save you quite a bit of time in stage 2, especially in area 6 (as seen from 3:00 to 3:10 in that video) where you'd have to wait one more time for the fire to rise and fall without the suit. That alone more than makes up for the time it takes to select stage 3 before 2. It doesn't matter what order you do stage 1 and 2 in, as there's no water in stage 1, but I am about 99% sure that doing stage 1 after stage 3 will save you time, mostly because your attacks are more powerful with a power suit on, which means the boss fight will be faster, but also because there are a couple of areas were flying is faster. You might want to test this more thoroughly than me, though, to be 100% sure. -Slide whenever possible. Sliding is faster than flying with the Rocket Suit, and it's faster than swimming with the Wet Suit. Sliding is faster with a power suit on, so the only times you should unequip the power suits are in auto-scrolling areas. -The item drops from enemies are solely based on how many enemies you've killed before. The first enemy you kill in the game will always drop a small battery, and the tenth enemy you kill will always drop a red boomerang, for example. Note that if you leave a screen too early after you've killed an enemy, that enemy won't "count". The "exploding" animation has to end before you leave the screen. -You probably need to pick up all the big batteries you can get to (there's one that's impossible to get without the Newt Suit), but you'll have to test this yourself, I'm afraid. -Get a red boomerang by killing ten enemies before the mid-level boss in level 3. You'll obviously use a power suit for all the other bosses. And that's all I've got. Hopefully this will be somewhat helpful for whoever might try to TAS this game sometime in the future. BTW, here's my stage 2 WIP: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1999227460/Power%20Blade%202%20WIP%20BZero.fcm Yes, I started on stage 2 before finding out that I would save time by getting the Rocket Suit as well and that I would save even more time by getting it before doing stage 2. This WIP ends after area 6. You'll see that I make sure to get a red boomerang before the mid-level boss. I actually have to wait 1 extra frame before leaving the screen at the end of area 1 to make that last enemy I killed there count. You'll also see "slide whenever possible" in action right after the mid-level boss.
How's your digestion now?
Player (14)
So, I started over again today, more than a year after I last gave up on this TAS. Let's hope I can see it through to the end this time. I started on level 3 this time, instead of level 2, which I'm confident is the right decision (explained in above post), and also, I've realized that doing level 1 before level 2 is just slightly faster, because the motorcycle on the level selection screen will automatically turn around to face to the right after you've completed a level, so if I do level 2 before level 1, I'd have to turn the MC around again to get to level 1 which costs a few frames. I can't think of any other reason to do one of these levels before the other, so at the moment my plan is 3-1-2-4(-5-6). Anyway, just completed area 1 of stage 3. WIP: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/913378342/Power%20Blade%202%20WIP%20BZero.fm2
Player (120)
Man, I was watching some crappy youtube let's play or something of this game and decided it looked awesome, then looked it up and found your post, so I'm glad you're picking it up again. To those who don't know, this game is kind of mega man style, you can choose level order and there is sliding... good luck!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
Something interesting: a good glitch found by me!
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Player (14)
Wow, nice glitch. Currently redoing what I've done so far (first two areas of stage 3) to implement that glitch at the beginning... Let me know if you find any more time savers like that, ok?
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
Lol, I don't recall much about this game. It's been a long time. EDIT: Lol again. All three of us use white & black avatars.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Player (151)
I tried working on this game a few years ago too. Lost interest. Gave up. My thinking at the time was that doing 1, 3, 2.. would be faster because NEWT SUIT could somehow save time on the first screen of stage 3 (probably wrong! i doubt i even tested that) Here is my first stab at it. Strategy: Go fast and gather power-ups during the auto-scrolling segments. Bad Idea! Second attempt here. Strategy: Try to gather power-ups as soon as possible without wasting too much time. And you've probably already found these but here they are anyway: 49A=player hp A0=energy 4A9=boss hp 4C6=y_pos 4DC=y_sub 508=x_pos 51E=x_sub 534=y_spd 560=x_spd
Player (14)
Scumtron wrote:
My thinking at the time was that doing 1, 3, 2.. would be faster because NEWT SUIT could somehow save time on the first screen of stage 3 (probably wrong! i doubt i even tested that)
I just tested this, and using the newt suit is only 100-200 frames faster. Definitely not worth the extra boss fight. Plus, you'll miss the big battery in that area if you use the newt suit. Anyway, I'm in area 3 of stage 3. I have just killed the ninth enemy out of the ten necessary to get the red boomerang drop. It's been five months since I last worked on this though, so I don't even remember what enemy I planned to kill next (I remember planning which ten enemies to kill before the mid-level boss was pretty annoying). Anyway, I think I'll try to pick this up again now. At this rate, maybe I'll just be able to submit this before the end of the decade. EDIT 01/06: Killed the tenth enemy, got the red boomerang and made it to the mid-level boss. Yay, progress! Video time so far is one minute. EDIT 01/08: I'm now at the exact same spot I was two days ago, but I've now spent over 1,000 rerecordings just trying to manipulate the dragon's (mid-level boss) pattern so that he would start the battle by shooting two fireballs, then bounce across the room (he's invincible when he does this), then shoot two more fireballs. This is the only way I can defeat him before he bounces across the room a second time. I probably spent most of those rerecordings trying to find the RAM address that would determine the dragon's pattern, but in the end I had to give that up, and just experiment with different things. This is what I ended up with, if anyone's interested: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1273780971/Power%20Blade%202%20WIP%20BZero.fm2
Player (14)
Update: I suddenly decided to pick this up again. I just spent ~8 hours working on this, and I've progressed ~3 seconds. This boss (see above post) is a little bit annoying. I'm halfway through the battle now (at the point where he jumps across the room/is invincible). Turns out he can only take damage every 16 frames. So if I hit him faster than that, he's actually invincible for a few frames. This is probably the main reason why I just spent 8 hours on these 3 seconds. It took a long time before I figured this out. I can see why it has to be like that, though. The boomerang weapon isn't like projectile weapons in most games; it doesn't disappear when it hits an enemy, it goes through the enemy and returns, like a boomerang is supposed to do. With big enemies (like this boss) the boomerang would stay within their hit box for a long time, so it makes sense that the enemies can't take damage every frame. It was still possible to hurt the dragon two times with each boomerang, though. And it was just barely possible to throw four boomerangs at him before he became invincible [edit: it was possible to throw more than four boomerangs, but not with full damage (two hits) due to the 16-frame rule], and since I got the red boomerang before this fight, that means 16 damage (half his max) in 3 seconds. Also, there are conveyor belts on the floor. Anyway, the second half should be easier, since I now know what to do, and since I can start the second half closer to him (at the start of the battle, I had to make my way across the room before I could start doing damage). Then I can finally equip a power suit and get back to side-scrolling, this time without having to worry about killing enemies for drops. Hopefully it'll be a little easier to make some progress for a while now. BTW, I will finish this, even if it means setting the record for longest production time ever for a TAS.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
You can try FCEUX 2.1.6 TASEditor for mach faster process and editing early events not losing later ones, also you watch the result in real time. http://code.google.com/p/feos-tas/downloads/detail?name=fceux.exe
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (14)
Thanks. That might come in handy. I was using 2.1.1 and I'm not sure the editor works in that version? Either way, I hadn't really tried it out before. Edit: I finished the fight, but I found out that I actually have enough time to deal 32 damage to him after he has jumped across the room, so the fastest battle would actually be the one where he immediately jumps across the room at the beginning of the battle, then shoots two fireballs. This will save me the time it takes to get close to the boss in the "two fireballs-jump across the room-two fireballs" pattern. So I have now manipulated the boss to use the "jump across the room-two fireballs" pattern instead, and I've already saved 82 frames just from faster luck manipulation.
2.1.1 has just a pre-beta version of TASEdit, 2.1.6 has totally functional one. Here's how it looks like. Also, can you upload your WIP to http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (14)
Redid the fight. Saved another 48 frames in the actual fight, for a total of 130 frames saved with the new "strategy". Here's the WIP: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1208804811/Power%20Blade%202%20WIP%20BZero.fm2 The reason I go a little to the right before entering the mid-boss door, is to manipulate the dragon's pattern. If someone can find a faster way to manipulate the dragon to start the battle by bouncing across the room, then shoot two fireballs, that would be very much appreciated. Edit: I'll check out your video later, too tired right now.
The WIP looks AWESOME! Very good style.
Player (14)
Thanks. :) It's gonna look even more awesome from here on out, due to the faster sliding with a power suit on. I don't like that the rockets on my rocket suit are interfering with my jumps, though. I've completed area 3 of stage 3 now. I managed to trick the rockets into not igniting when jumping up to a platform by releasing the jump button for three frames before pushing it again. Saved one frame by doing this compared to the fastest way I found to do it with the rockets igniting. When falling down from the platform, I couldn't find a way to avoid it, though...
SideofClouds
He/Him
Off-topic: You can keep posting updates daily/weekly as a form of accountability for yourself :) On-topic: on the fifth level (building) where you enter the room with the woman and start running towards her, there is one frame right when you're close to her where you can actually give a command (like jump, shoot...) ... might be good for entertainment even if it doesn't last long
Player (14)
Finished area 4 of stage 3. Used the TAS Editor for this area. WIP: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1940509981/Power%20Blade%202%20WIP%20BZero.fm2
Player (14)
^Cool. Also, I meant to say this in my last post, but forgot: If I happen to have the last post in this topic, I'm just gonna edit updates into that post. Just thought I'd let you know that the run isn't necessarily on hold just because the topic looks dead from the outside (although it's not very unlikely >_>). Oh, and
SideofClouds wrote:
On-topic: on the fifth level (building) where you enter the room with the woman and start running towards her, there is one frame right when you're close to her where you can actually give a command (like jump, shoot...) ... might be good for entertainment even if it doesn't last long
I'll keep this in mind, thanks.
I'd suggest you to doublepost if some new content is provided, because edited posts never get marked as new and don't notificate by e-mail.
Collision glitch found (no info if it's any useful). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfM7q8wT9g#t=28s
Player (14)
^Interesting. Will experiment with that later.
Post subject: Stage 3 done
SideofClouds
He/Him
I decided to take matters into my own hands and improve/continue what BZero started (I've also played the game and beat it when I was a todler, hence my interest in it). I've managed to finish stage 3, and here's the WIP http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1786658440/TAS%20-%20Power%20Blade%202%20%28U%29%20%5B%21%5D.fm2 Overall I sticked with BZero's initial plan, with minor tweaks here and there, his info being quite useful. One concern is that the file which I'm using for TASing this game keeps getting bigger and takes longer to load/save (using FCEUX 2.2.0) ... and by big i mean over 50 MB ... but the tool is great! ....... also I still don't know in the 'Branches' box how to make it look like actual branches from a tree and use them for split testing (I saw it in one of feos's videos). I'll keep working on this in the next few weeks (mainly in weekends) ... any suggestinons/support is welcomed. :D
To turn them into branch tree click on the header. To save/load branches you can use internal FCEUX hotkeys for savestates. Or mouse clicks: Rightclick to save, Leftclick to jump, Doubleclick to load. http://www.fceux.com/web/help/taseditor/Toolbox.html#bookmarks
SideofClouds
He/Him
Feos, thanks man! ... I will use it wisely ... now I go eat and have some rest.