This is a 26.7 second (1603 frame) improvement over my previous Double Dragon 2 movie. Like the previous, it uses 2 player Mode B.
This was recorded using the new release of FCEUX which uses a .fm2 file format. This can not be played in previous FCEU versions! You can get a copy of FCEUX here.
Note, FCEUX supports the use of metadata. You can view the submission info by clicking on the "metadata" button on the replay movie dialog.
I found a couple nice tricks involving the players doing a flying knee on each other at the same time or jump kicking each other at the same time. These tricks inspired me to make an improvement. Along the way I found several more new strategies.

New Tricks

• Simultaneous Flying Knee
    • Under certain circumstances while bother players are in the same x,y position, you can have them perform a flying knee at the same time. The knee will register as a hit on both players at the same time, vaulting them both forward at high velocity (Physics be damned!)
  • Simultaneous Jump Kick
    • Again both players must be in the same position and perform a jump kick at the same time. It will register as a hit on both players and send them forward. This is used to make jumps of a greater distance than normally possible.

Improvements Level by Level

• Level 1: 297 Frames
    • About 50 frames of optimizations throughout the level.
    • A surprising new strat on the boss saving 240 frames
  • Level 2 69 Frames
    • Use of Flying knee on enemies jumping out of the Heli
    • Other minor frame improvements.
  • Level 3 192 Frames
    • New Fighting Strat allowed me to not have to use the door of the helicopter to kill the last enemy. This saved most of the 192 frames.
  • Level 4 75 Frames
    • Better screen scrolling manipulation in the first section
    • Use of the flying knee trick to get past the claws faster
  • Level 5 97 Frames
    • Faster method of killing the enemies that descend from the vine.
    • Faster strat on the train enemies
    • Lag reduction
  • Level 6 29 frames
    • Better strat on the enemies. Sending them off screen into spikes.
  • Level 7 526 frames
    • First screen improved with the simul. jump kick
    • Third screen improved a lot with simul. jump kick & flying knees
    • Final room improved with better strats
  • Level 8 304 Frames
    • Many new fighting strats
  • Level_9 14 Frames
    • Using punches to save some time.

Summary

• Emulator Used: FCEUX2.0
  • Aims for Fastest Time
  • 1 Player controls 2 characters
  • Mode B (friendly fire?)
  • Takes damage to save time

mmbossman: Nice work. Accepting as an improvement to the published movie (and fixed some spelling).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2061: adelikat's NES Double Dragon II: The Revenge in 08:54.05
Skilled player (1637)
Easy yes vote. Clearly, this movie is done by the Deli Cat, since it contains copious amounts of brothers beating the crap out of each other.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Skilled player (1402)
All of that damage boosting was awesome, and very nice first boss strat. Yes vote!
Awesome stuff.
Enough flying knees to make captain falcon and tony jaa jealous. Yes vote.
Experienced player (612)
Great job on this one man. Good entertainment value, like last time only more to it, it seems. Yes vote.
Player (57)
Hehe! That's what I call brother-love.. Or not. :P I think it's awesome, when you get the brothers to "fly away", a long bit!.. Fantastic improvements! I vote yes on this!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1179] NES Double Dragon II: The Revenge "2 players" by adelikat in 08:54.05
Tub
ahh, brothers kicking the crap out of each other. reminds me of my childhood.. we were never as awesome as those two, though. I laughed pretty hard at the first boss kill: "here kitty kitty..." *shove*
m00
LOL @ Billy uppercutting Jimmy at 8:25. Doublemint LOL @ Billy and Jimmy punching each other at 8:15. Hilarious. Easy yes. EDIT: Movie encoding information is for the Kick Master video released a few days ago. Might want to fix that.
I don't seem to be seeing the tricks mentioned in the description (for example, the last enemy is still killed via the door in level 3). Is the old publication being linked by chance, or am I stupid (or both?)
Editor, Active player (296)
I am being reported by "TheVoid-" that "In the newly added Double Dragon 2 TAS, adelikat forgot to change the information stuff in the video. It still says it's "Kick Master by dragonxyk".
Skilled player (1149)
Stage 1 boss moves quite slow, I think we should make he move faster.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
That's how I always killed the first boss :) Btw, was it impossible to do the double knee at the end of the shadow mansion? At the disappearing platforms part to reach the door faster and skip a platform?
Skilled player (1149)
It should give that boss a flying knee, I tested it's faster than making the boss walk straight.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
FODA wrote:
That's how I always killed the first boss :) Btw, was it impossible to do the double knee at the end of the shadow mansion? At the disappearing platforms part to reach the door faster and skip a platform?
Unfortunately no. 1) You can't use an attack to propel an enemy to a platform higher than he can jump to. 2) The platforms are on a timer. Skipping over one accomplishes nothing as you still have to wait for the last platform
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
zggzdydp wrote:
It should give that boss a flying knee, I tested it's faster than making the boss walk straight.
My tests were slower. I guess I made an error.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Active player (410)
Ok, since I don't intend to do that game for awhile and as a gift for working on FCEUX. ;) here are my ideas of improvements. I did watch the run 3 times to be sure they are probable. 1. After killing the first Williams, Jimmy should "flying knee" at Billy so the screen scrolls faster to the right which makes the enemies appear sooner. 2. Use the flying knee at stage 1 boss to make it to left quicker. 3. At stage 4 after using the elevator, make Billy uses the flying knee on Jimmy so he goes to left sooner. 4. In same stage, you're using the flying knee after the elevator where there are columns of spikes, like Contra, and one of them only makes Billy go to the right. If you could do it on both, you could do an extra flying knee for extra move to the right. 5. At the beginning of level 7, I wonder if the flying knee trick could help. And at screen 3 too where there are rotating gears. yes, you use it but on Billy only. For those next ones, it is just some thoughts. Jimmy takes some 2 or more extra frames to enter the doors. There might be something possible to enter at same time as Billy. But I guess that's how the game is. I've noticed that you tend to use the turbo button. I know those Double Dragon 2 games to be 2 frames based to do an action so it probably doesn't matter but maybe... Btw, a yes vote. Edit: Ok, just watched it an extra time, I am wondering something. At stage 1, after climbing the ladder once and killing Lindas, there are 2 groups of Williams. The way the 2nd group is killed annoys me. I wonder if it wouldn't be best to make Jimmy stay at left of them and flying knee to the right, then he should be closer to Billy then at the top platform after Billy kills the 1st group of Williams, Jimmy flying knee to Billy so Billy goes to the right and kill a 2nd group of Williams faster. Edit2: Ok my idea is that when Billy flying knee at Williams, Jimmy flying knee at Billy before Billy touches the ground. Not only it would be faster but it would be damn cool. I didn't see anything like that in the movie.