Post subject: Themed Movie Lists
Player (120)
I want to start a collection of "themed" movie lists. The first one that sprung to mind is something like "Doesn't actually play the game" -- in other words, movies that exploit glitches/programming/luck manipulation to skip most of the actual game. My list so far: King's Bounty (the epitome of this "genre") A Link to the Past Pokemon Green and Yellow Mario 64 Might and Magic Chrono Trigger NewGame + I'm pretty sure there are others that would be great -- any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for other themes?
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
No. This seems like it could just start nothing but arguments. Also, we have "Themes", they are categories.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Player (120)
Raiscan wrote:
No.
Thanks for the feedback. I really don't see the harm in it though -- I'm not going to stick it on the front page or anything. Anyways, I seem to remember a way to list all movies within a certain category, but couldn't find it... was I hallucinating?
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Thats simply going to cause fierce arguments in future.
Player (120)
Thank you for your feedback as well. Do you really feel that the threat of "argument" outweighs any usefulness that could be derived from my suggestion? The fact that you foresee argument tells me that it would in fact be useful, even to the point of people being passionate enough to argue about it. Personally, I don't think most people will care that much, but a couple of people will, and hopefully they will feel like helping me. In my experience, argument can be a productive means to an end. Civil and intelligent dialog allows all parties to weigh various options and come to a conclusion. Admittedly, arguments "on the Internet" can be long, drawn out, over-emotional and under-rational flame wars. In the end, people who are not willing to compromise may end up feeling hurt. But you know what? At the end of the day we are still alive, and maybe have learned something in the process.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I like you alden, so here is a consistently themed movie list for you. I got 62 movies to the list. (The correct number should be something between 60 and 64.) I'll let you figure out what the very arbitrary theme is.
Experienced player (822)
So, using your example, when does a game become "not played"? What's the cutoff line you use?
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Player (120)
Aqfaq: Thanks! I give up though, what's the theme? mmbossman: My description of the list leaves something to be desired I suppose. I meant something more along the lines of "skips a significant portion of the game, more so than can be done unassisted". You obviously can't come up with an objective metric for it. I'm just going to list games that I feel are appropriate. Some examples of what I don't think is appropriate: SMB and SMB3 -- warping DOES skip most of the game, but it's trivial to do basically the same thing unassisted; Sonic games -- a lot of levels are played quickly, even "skipped" by bypassing a lot of stuff, but each level is still played. Again, it's arbitrary, but that's the point -- we don't need more Statistics pages.
Experienced player (822)
Go back and watch Sonic 3 again, you may notice that an entire stage (Ice-cap 1 or 2, I can't remember which) is skipped. Skipped as in, the mini boss never shows up, and Sonic basically gets warped to the end of the level.
Player (120)
True, I had forgotten that, thank you; but would you consider that a movie where most of the game is skipped? (Serious question!)
Experienced player (822)
No, but neither is Chrono Trigger newgame+. Given maxed out armor/health/magic, I can easily go play a game just like inichi, with probably only a couple minutes lost off of his movie.
Player (120)
Fair enough -- it's off the list then :)
Here's a quick runthrough of the NES games list for games I thought might qualify for your theme: "Warped" Arkanoid "Glitched" Legend of Zelda 2 "Any%" Metroid Monopoly "Warp glitch" Rygar
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Aqfaq wrote:
I like you alden, so here is a consistently themed movie list for you. I got 62 movies to the list. (The correct number should be something between 60 and 64.) I'll let you figure out what the very arbitrary theme is.
a-ha! I see the common Element. And nobody's answered Alden's question of how you screen tags (genre:platform, takes damage to save time, etc.) edit: found it on http://tasvideos.org/MovieSearch.html - third tab.
Banned User, Former player
Raiscan wrote:
This seems like it could just start nothing but arguments.
That's a rather self-fulfilling prophecy: Start an argument about why the suggestion is a bad idea, because it will start arguments. Since when has tasvideos.org stopped being a website were people have fun and are entertained by both watching and creating TAS videos as well as everything that is related to this activity, and started being a totalitarian politically correct regime where everything that has even the slightest chance of becoming even a bit controversial and cause discussion is immediately shot down as a "bad idea" which must not be implemented and carefully avoided? I mean, seriously. If someone wants to make a list of games, who cares if someone else disagrees on a few of the entries in that list? If someone is such a huge prig that he will start complaining about some movie being in some list, I think he can go f*** himself. This website and hobby is for fun and entertainment, not political fanatism about terminology.
Skilled player (1404)
After a while, people take fun seriously.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Player (120)
Take that back Ferret! U R WRONG Derakon: Those are pretty on the nose, thank you! eternaljwh: Thanks for finding that for me, I knew it was somewhere obvious. Some of the categories are kind of interesting, like Contains speed/entertainment tradeoffs (22) and One player controls two characters (35), but most are too broad (Takes damage to save time (309)) or too specific (Does not use a restart sequence (1)) to be interesting as lists in themselves (though the tags are descriptive and useful for describing the movies individually). I'm going to throw on the two Link's Adventure glitch runs and Wizards and Warriors reuse levels (maybe), so I have so far: King's Bounty (the epitome of this "genre") A Link to the Past Pokemon Green and Yellow Mario 64 Might and Magic "Warped" Arkanoid "Glitched" Legend of Zelda 2 "Any%" Metroid Monopoly "Warp glitch" Rygar Link's Adventure glitch runs Wizards and Warriors reuse levels Edit: Duh, A Boy and His Blob
Banned User, Former player
Since the "abuses luck" tag is rather non-descriptive, as it's given to movies very lightly, how about a list like "extreme luck abuse"? Movies where luck is abused with tool-assistance so much, that it would be absolutely impossible to get even close to that with regular play. For example walking enormous distances in an RPG without even a single random fight is a perfect example. Another one is getting a drop from every single enemy, even though normally they drop rarely (at least castlevania 2 has this).
Player (120)
Hmm, Monopoly would be a good one for that too :) and Vegas Stakes Here's another one people probably won't like: movies that look very fast -- some sonic game, biker mice from mars, sparkster... hmm
Skilled player (1402)
Warp wrote:
Since the "abuses luck" tag is rather non-descriptive, as it's given to movies very lightly, how about a list like "extreme luck abuse"?
Alden wrote:
Hmm, Monopoly would be a good one for that too :) and Vegas Stakes Here's another one people probably won't like: movies that look very fast -- some sonic game, biker mice from mars, sparkster... hmm
The thing is, the current tags are either goals, subgoals, or other specific facts (and genres). The thing being suggested here would be very subjective... I don't know if that's the right way to go (although I can see why you would like them). People might object to them just like people objected to stars.
Player (120)
That's why I don't want to use the existing tag system :) It's subjective so I don't plan on shoving it down anyone's throat.
Post subject: Serious fun.
alden wrote:
Aqfaq: Thanks! I give up though, what's the theme?
eternaljwh wrote:
a-ha! I see the common Element.
You got it right eternaljwh, the list included all movies that have liquid water in the presented screenshot. It is a kind of a dull theme for movies, because it depends on the screenshots. Anyway, I hope you all like the list now that you know the theme. Oh, the list is already outdated, because the Lion King screenshot was changed. Naturally, almost every game has some water in it. Even the short King's Bounty movie shows lots of water. I am now trying to find all published movies that don't have a single drop of water. Then we will understand the meaning of everything! Actually, I'm already finished with Genesis games and I'm not going to continue this to the other systems, but here is the list so far, if somebody wants to expand it: Genesis movies that have no water. Only 7 movies got to the list. Sometimes it was hard to judge whether there was water presented in the movie or not, so I used this rule: If I could imagine a well-wishing person filling a glass with the suspected substance and saying "Here, have a glass of water, my dear friend!", then I considered it water. Here are some notes I made: Marble Madness Not a single drop of water! The game indeed has a dry feel throughout and I now realize it is due to the complete lack of water. Dark Castle The Black Knight is drinking something, but there are some aspects of his behavior that make me believe that he is not drinking water. Contra - The Hard Corps, "secret ending" A few drops of prehistoric monkey sweat in the ending sequence is the closest thing to water this movie has. Prince of Persia There was some green stuff that looked wet, coming from some pipes on the walls, but I wouldn't offer it as a drink to someone. There's also a full moon shown on the background of the intro screen, but I suppose there's no liquid water on the surface of a Persian moon. Pit Fighter There is a bar, but none of the bottles look like water bottles. Flashback Same thing here. Two bars were visited, but presumably no water was served to the customers during the movie. (I often drink water in bars myself, though.) Gods This is problematic. There is an item called water gem (or water crystal), but it is probably just a name for the gem. The boss HP is displayed as a liquid substance that resembles water, but probably isn't water, because it looks like it's boiling, but it never evaporates. There are also two paintings on the walls that may depict water, but since it is in the paintings, it is not real video game water. Finally, the shop screen background may have water in it, but I can't be sure, because the colors are so strange. Sunlight can sometimes make water look white, especially in video games that have limited color resources. I'd say there's no liquid water worth drinking in Gods, anyway. Honorable mentions: Fatal Labyrinth almost got to the list. It showed water on the background of the final battle, but nowhere before that. It was a very good use of water actually. I interpreted the partially visible river as a promise of freedom. The ending sequence shows rivers flowing on the background as the hero flies away from the fatal labyrinth. It seems like they actually put some thought into it. Robocop won the infamous Wasting Water For Nothing prize (WWFN prize) by shooting fire hydrants and spilling water all over the city streets.
Experienced player (822)
Aqfaq, you are one of the goofiest people here, and I love you for it <3
Former player
Fire hydrants don't contain water, though...
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Zurreco wrote:
Fire hydrants don't contain water, though...
It looks cool, though...