Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Emulator used VBA19.3
The movie improves Deign's one by 11 frames. 1 frame saved by boss fight, 10 frames saved by... name entry. Maybe it's not a good improvement, by this is a new record anyways. That's all.
cancelled, klmz do this faster!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2097: zggzdydp's GBA Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance in 00:23.78
Active player (308)
heheh... good job :D Anyway, this deserves an easy yes. All the no votes should be immediately discarded. Just like all other improvements this movie had, you'll won't get nothing but almost unnoticeable gameplay optimization. Actually, this one was the first improvement to really catch my attention... Pretty unexpected! This must be useful in other runs too... maybe AoS Julius? Maybe even SotN Richter??
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
I love it when I'm right :-) How is the name entering faster? I'm confused, you skipped the first M, then it came back? what does the R button do? I'm confused....
Homepage ☣ Retired
Senior Moderator
Wraps the caret back to the beginning of the string?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Player (98)
I voted no on the grounds that the submission is basically hexing 99% of the work of others for a completely unnoticeable improvement.
Joe
I think it's a worthwhile submission, especially considering how short this run is overall. Any miniscule frame-by-frame improvement is welcome.
And the Super Mario Bros. TASes aren't? The SMB TAS is also five minutes long...at least this one has the decency to be short to begin with. ;)
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Vykan12 wrote:
I voted no on the grounds that the submission is basically hexing 99% of the work of others for a completely unnoticeable improvement.
I understand your point of view. However, improving the gameplay in this movie by 1 frame is not easy, because of how much competition there has been already. 10 frames in a name entering screen is also a quite a lot by TAS standards. It is inevitable that the movie has lots of same content as the previous one, but where would you draw the line then, if "99%" is too much? 98? 97? 96...? Copying others is one of the best things to do when TASing, because people think differently and find different tricks, so it's cool when somebody has tried her best to make a perfect movie and then somebody comes and finds an improvement. A third man will then show up with even more improvements due to the fact that he can concentrate his energy on finding new things as opposed to the earlier guys who got either exhausted or got stuck into a narrow point of view about the inner workings of the game. The obsoletion chain continues until the TAS scene dies or a movie becomes perfect. I haven't wathced the movie yet, but one of those future "yes" votes is probably mine.
I disapprove of an improvement that is almost solely based on name entry. The only exception to this is when it results in different luck later on, but in that case it wouldn't be solely a name change. 1 frame elsewhere doesn't make it better in my eyes. Voting no. Edit1: Heh, shows how little I know about this game. The name entry went by so fast I didn't realise that it's the same name entered, only faster. Please disregard my no vote.
<adelikat> I am annoyed at my irc statements ending up in forums & sigs
Voting yes to make up for Raiscan. :)
Voted NO for NO reason
LagDotCom wrote:
Voting yes to make up for Raiscan. :)
:O I refuse to wear make up!
Experienced player (822)
If the 10 frame improvement had come from entering a different, shorter name, I'd have given this a no. But improving on entry of the same name is just as valid as any other improvement. Voting yes.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Skilled player (1404)
Well, people keep saying, "Don't vote yes 'till you've watched it"; it appears the same applies with voting no. :P
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
I did watch it! I just knew nothing about the game so I didn't see the relevance of name entry :(
Former player
Raiscan wrote:
I did watch it! I just knew nothing about the game so I didn't see the relevance of name entry :(
Yet another good reason as to why we need informed voting in the Workbench?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Zurreco wrote:
Raiscan wrote:
Informed voting in the workbench? NONSENSE.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Actually, while Sir VG wasn't entirely serious, I do agree with what he said. It's important that TASes be entertaining even for people who don't know the game in question.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Sir VG wrote:
Zurreco wrote:
Raiscan wrote:
Informed voting in the workbench? NONSENSE.
I have no idea what that means, or involves. Anyway I voted yes because It's faster....somehow
"No love for the game gear"
Former player
Derakon wrote:
Actually, while Sir VG wasn't entirely serious, I do agree with what he said. It's important that TASes be entertaining even for people who don't know the game in question.
That has nothing to do with this submission. All improvements were purely technical, so this run is theoretically just as entertaining as the last run. Raiscan's disapproval was also based solely on the technical aspect of the submission, rather than the entertainment value.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
I didn't expect that you could save so many frames in name entering... Yes vote for this.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do