I've been looking around for a game that's fun to TAS in the past month, and haven't really come across one. So I instead decided to improve the published run of Spider-man vs. the Kingpin, authored by myself and Neofix. This run is 706 frames faster than our previous attempt.
All the same categories apply from the previous run (takes damage to save time, plays at hardest level, etc.). Made using Gens 10a.

Improvements

While there are multiple small improvements due to RAM watching to assist with velocity control and boss HP monitoring, and lag reduction, the majority of time was saved by a new strategy for the 3rd level. Venom makes a mid-level appearance, and the screen will only advance when you've either lost enough HP to drop below 15, or take enough of Venom's HP. Thanks to taking a ton of damage from both Doc Ock in level 1 and Venom in level 2, I was able to get my health below 15 without having to stop at all. The only noticeable slowing of action is a somewhat awkward looking jump used to trigger Venom's appearance.

Level by level savings:

• Level 1: 55 frames
  • Level 2: 72 frames
  • Level 3: 432 frames
  • Level 4: 47 frames
  • Level 5: 59 frames
  • Level 6: 41 frames
Grand total: 706 frames (169 frames of lag)

And now, the happy family (screenshot not from this run):

Updated file for use with publication (with an increased input time of 6:04.77) can be found here

adelikat: Replaced submission file with the linked .gmv above. Also accepted & processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2100: mmbossman's Genesis Spider-Man vs The Kingpin in 06:04.77
Improvement over the published run, and makes the 'nightmare' mode look like it wasn't even trying to deter Spider-Man in the slightest. I mostly like that nearly all of the spider sense warnings appear to be false alarms; "spider senses tingling! Oh, it's just an invalid, nevermind." If it weren't for laughing at the ineptitude of the sparsely populated henchmen, I might have been bored. The uninspired soundtrack doesn't help matters, nor does the fact that I have never actually played this game before. But I do just so happen to find enough comedy in a game possessing a 'nightmare' mode that can be bested in a little over five minutes to say I was entertained. 'Spider-Man vs The Kingpin' is also an apt title; other than a brief distraction from Dr Octopus, there's really not much more to the movie than Spider-Man busting into Kingpin's office and completely ruining his day. A nice improvement lends itself well to a yes vote.
Kirby said so, so it must be true. ( >'.')>
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I think your last one is better than mine, aqfaq yes.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Experienced player (822)
Thanks for the comments guys. Cardboard pointed something out to me, and made me feel pretty stupid for never noticing it. The previous publications have all ended at the "Congratulations" screen, with input ending at the final hit on the last boss. However, if you press start during that screen, the credits will begin to roll. So to better adhere to the movie format rules of the site, I've made a new version with an extended input. It can be found here: Click me! This will unfortunately make the new movie file roughly 30 seconds slower than the previous publication, but the 11+ seconds of gameplay improvements still stand, and this better fits with the standards of the site. In any case, the content remains the same, so either file can be used for viewing.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Yes vote here. Had a laugh when Venom gave you that uppercut. Thx for the help (PM) and for the run. Nice work mmbossman :)
Player (70)
Cool improvment. Love this game. :) Yes-vote
The music and sound effects in this game are terrible, what were they thinking? :/ Anyway I enjoyed it, so another Yes vote from me.
Player (98)
I request an avi :)
Former player
Well then, here you go. /Btw: I used the original time and rerecord count from the submission instead of the credits one.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1201] Genesis Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin by mmbossman in 06:04.77